Cooking Gammon?

Laura2919

Team Twilight!!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions. I have never cooked gammon before. Mum and Dad are coming for dinner because they are going to Cyprus on sunday and they want to see Chloe and Jaycee before they go..

I am doing it with mash and veg which is simple enough but I cant for the life of me tell when Gammon is cooked!

My MIL said to stick it in the oven for an hr and half then get it out drizzle it with honey and thyme and stick it back in for half hr to an hr..

Any other suggestions???

:dohh:

we cook it on a griddle pan

plain & simple :)

(this is gammon slices though)

I am cooking a joint. Its not very big, on the back it says cooking time is 1hr 30 mins to 2hrs.

Gammon slices? Cook on the griddle or pan for 10-15 minutes, initially on hight heat then medium.

A joint? Cook on a lower heat 180 for an hour then drizzel with honey and put back in the oven for 10-20 minutes depending on size.

Alot of people like gammon and pinapple or honey, somethi sweet.

dont salt it when seasoning, only pepper

Gammon slices? Cook on the griddle or pan for 10-15 minutes, initially on hight heat then medium.

A joint? Cook on a lower heat 180 for an hour then drizzel with honey and put back in the oven for 10-20 minutes depending on size.

Alot of people like gammon and pinapple or honey, somethi sweet.

dont salt it when seasoning, only pepper

Ahhh thanks.. I was thinking about pineapple cos my friend has gammon when we go out to eat and she has it with pineapple..

Pop it into a roasting dish, with the bottom of the dish just covered with cold water.... cover the whole roasting tin with foil and then cook on the middle shelf at 200 for 2 hours.

The water and foil will stop it drying out and the 2 hours cooking will make sure that it is cooked right through :) :hugs:

If you want to do the honey and/or stud it with a few cloves then take it out after an hour and a half, uncover it, do your honey and pop it back in (uncovered) for half an hour .... I'm assuming that it is one of the round gammon joints though - so if you decide to do this you will need to take the 'plastic collar' off and turn the joint onto it's side before you do the honey/cloves. :flower:

Ooooh, I love Gammon.

A nice way to cook a gammon joint is just to simply pop it in a large pan of boiling water for a couple of hours.

If you fancy something with a nice coating on it - boil it for about an hour then put it on a roasting pan and glaze it with a mixture of honey, dijon mustard, marmalade and a teaspoon of brown sugar. Spread this over the joint the pour a bit of orange juice in the pan and roast it for about 45 minutes.

Ive always boiled joints of gammon....as for gammon slices I do them on my grill thingy.xx

Some good ideas. Enjoy hun, i love gammon with pinapple yummy yum xx

I do my gammon(steaks) with egg...ever since I had it a a pub...mmm yummy!xx

i boil it for an hour to get some of the salt out

than cover it with marmalade and tin foil
and pop it in the oven for another hour

tastes gorgeous :thumbup:

quite tempted to cook that for dinner tomorrow now :dohh:

xx​

Gammon done in the slow cooker is delicious, just add a inch or two of apple juice/cider.

2.75 kg gammon, joint (middle cut)
1. Put the gammon joint into a large bowl cover with cold water and leave to soak for 24 hours. Drain well.

2. Set the oven to 160°C/gas 3. Lay a sheet of kitchen foil in a roasting pan that is large enough to take the joint with some room to spare. Lay a second sheet across it, at right angles. Sit the gammon joint square in the middle; bring the silver foil up around the gammon, sealing edges together neatly and comprehensively, to form a loose, airtight wrapping around the gammon.

3. Roast for 2 hours. Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/gas 7. Open up that foil and lift the gammon out onto a large chopping board. Drain off all the juices. Make a couple of long cuts through the outer layer of skin (but not the fat underneath). Peel the fat off in strips, taking care, as it will be extremely hot.

4. Mix the mustard and honey together, and then smear thickly all over the layer of fat. Next score the fat with parallel lines first in one direction and then at an angle to it, to cover the joint in a pattern of diamonds. Push a clove into the centre of each diamond.

5. Return the joint to the oven for a final 25 minutes or until richly browned and glazed. If you are serving the joint hot, let it rest in a warm place for 20-30 minutes before carving. For cold gammon, leave it to cool in its own time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->