Cooking?

C

CharlieFamily

Hi. I was wondering what age did you teach your child/ren to cook? DD1 just started cooking at about 10 and has cooked ever since. Should I my 7 year old to cook yet or wait? Thanks

I wouldn't consider teaching a 7 year old to cook as such. Helping out in the kitchen while you cook maybe, but nothing more

My eldest is 11, she knows how many dishes are done as she has seen it, but I have never actively taught her to cook and I wouldn't allow her to make a meal anyway

She can heat spagetti, beans etc up in the microwave, and she can do fish fingers/chicken dippers with potato waffles/oven chips in the oven (not that I would ever eat that but jack does lol) but proper cooking I wouldn't let her do even at 11

I wouldn't consider teaching a 7 year old to cook as such. Helping out in the kitchen while you cook maybe, but nothing more

My eldest is 11, she knows how many dishes are done as she has seen it, but I have never actively taught her to cook and I wouldn't allow her to make a meal anyway

She can heat spagetti, beans etc up in the microwave, and she can do fish fingers/chicken dippers with potato waffles/oven chips in the oven (not that I would ever eat that but jack does lol) but proper cooking I wouldn't let her do even at 11

Thanks for helping out

My son and daughte have helped since they were two. My son can make his own breakfast, such as eggs, french toast etc...for awhile now....at least a year and he is 9 now. My daughter doesn't do as much but she has autism. I supervise, but they are used to helping out. Its really not that hard. Just stay away from hard things like heavy pots of boiling water.

Depends on the child imo - I have a very sensible 6 year old that i would happily start to teach - obv wouldnt let him near boiling water etc yet but he shows no interest at all . My 4 year old cooks when we go camping on the bbq , he helps chop veg etc and stir and can make a cake by himself apart from getting it out the oven.
I was cooking dinner for me and my mom when i was about 8 because i had too.

I myself learned to cook at 9.. Meals at 12.. I was cooking as my mom had to sleep during the afternoon for 3 years while she had a third shift job.. She left everything there for me and I cooked it... My husband LOVES the fact I can accually cook.. I am not an out of the box meal cooker..I like fresh good homecooked meals.. and I will teach my kids to cook areoun 8 ot 9 years depending on the kid..

My oldest is 6 and loves to help me in the kitchen. I won't let him cook on the stove yet as he's just not tall enough. IMO he has to be tall enough to not just see into the pot/pan etc but reach over without burning himself and turn the stove on or off. Once he masters one skill I let him move on to another. He's always made salads - mixing pouring etc. now is onto grating cheese, mashing potatoes, those types of things.

I taught her aged 2 the small things, she knows how to make scrambled eggs, beans on toast, basic cakes and other simple recipes but knows she is only allowed to do these things with an adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->