Copper IUD/Paraguard horrors or success stories? Or Yasmin? [PCOS/Androgens related.]

Butterfly89

Mama of 1
Reaction score
So I'm planning ahead for birth control after my first child. I am not taking anything until after I have my first as I don't want to limit my chances in any way. So here's my story... I am a person with already high androgen symptoms, so I have to be careful choosing birth control. As for pills, Yasmin sounds the best from my research for someone like me. Second, ortho tri-cyclen, or cyclen, though they have many reported side effects so I'd rather try Yasmin first. Even though some people on Yasmin had hair loss and I already have thinning hair.. *sigh* All in all, it seems to have the least issues for PCOS/androgen dominant women.

But while breastfeeding, I obviously can't use it. So I decided on an IUD with use of spermicide in case of expulsion/displacement. Mirena has WAY too many reported side effects. So I am thinking copper/Paraguard is the better choice so far.

The pros...
*Not having to remember pill
*No hormonal side effects (no weight gain, acne, etc. Yay!)
*Can get pregnant fast after removal
*Can use while breastfeeding

So far the cons I have read...
*Heavier periods
*IUD can be expelled esp. for women with heavy periods
*Odor/chronic BV or other vaginal infections

What was YOUR experience? I have very heavy periods with terrible cramps and clotting already, but I can't imagine it can get any worse so I figure I'll be used to it. Obviously if it gets worse than it already is, I will have to have it removed as I would probably die from anemia or blood loss. :wacko: Also is it safe to use if you have had a c-section?

((I don't have a doctor to talk to about these things as my doctor is no help. She just answers every question with "stop being stressed" and is very judgemental and often rude. She will not test me properly for PCOS or androgen imbalance despite several visits to request it/demand it. I cannot find another doctor as I already "have a doctor". This is the wonders of the Ontario healthcare system and our so called "free" healthcare. Don't move here if you want medical attention. Seriously.))

Hiya
I have recently started the yasmin pill. Now this could probably happen with any pill but i fell pregnant on it unknowingly and later had a m/c. it has also been giving me bad stomach and head aches
ETA - i have been on it for 7ish weeks, m/c at 6 weeks

HTH xx

Ill tell you my experience with the copper IUD I have PCOS and would either go without periods or have horrible ones and once I had Zander I got the copper IUD because of the fact it didnt have hormones I cant take the regular bc pills because of my high blood pressure anyway my periods were horrible I had to stay home for at least 2 day during my period because Id bleed through a tampon and a overnight pad withing a couple of hours and the pain was alot worse than I had ever had with a period even my worst ones I had actually thought about going to the ER a few times it got so bad :nope: I thought it would get better so gave it a few months and just couldnt take it anymore so I pulled it out myself went staight to having normal periods after that :wacko: and got pregnant with my angel baby now we just use condoms since I just dont know what else to try :shrug:

I'm sorry for your loss, both of you. :hugs: Thanks for your help. I will keep researching..

The copper does make me nervous but I know after a c-section getting pregnant too soon is dangerous so I'll have to be careful. I already have periods that often border on hemmorhage every few months so I'm nervous.

I have s Copper coil I've had it 1 yr and I love it no problems at all periods aren't heavy I get a tiny bit of midcycle spotting but that's it works fab for me

Hi,
My experience of these would suggest copper IUD for sure.
I was only on Yasmin 2 mths and my hair started to fall out by the handful and didn't stop for at least a mth after stopping pill. It was horrific.
After this got a copper IUD which apart from the pain of and a 3 wk bleed after insertion (meant to be loads better if you've had a baby) I had no probs at all. Kept it for nearly 4 years and got pregnant straight after removal which was brill.
Best wishes

Thanks! I hear hair loss is a common issue with Yasmin and since I already have it, I'm pretty nervous to make it worse. The only thing I like about Yasmin is the hormonal benefits for PCOS but I wonder if I can take Spiro with the copper coil? hmm.

Hey! May be a long shot getting a reply here but I wondered if you ever took yasmin? If so, how did you find it? I was just diagnosed with pcos and my gyn recommended yasmin but I was a bit overwhelmed at the appointment and didn't ask why I should take it. What will it help exactly? Did you have any side effects?

Hi! I just realized someone posted. I've since had a baby who is now 6 months old. :) After lots of fertility testing and sad news and frustration... Long journey since I first posted here, wow.

No, I didn't end up taking Yasmin but I did get the copper IUD.

I know that doesn't help your question - but in case anyone else asks, it's worked out very well. HOWEVER I do not have the Paragard (US version) but as I'm in Canada, my doctor uses one called Flexi-T (or Nova-T, same thing apparently). It's much less problematic. I did have longer periods for about 3 months, but not heavier than usual. Sometimes I am a few days late. My cramps/bleeding are actually less than before usually, or about the same.

It almost expelled but the doctor said to wait (scary, lol, I used backup for a while) and it did go back up into place on its own.

The only thing I don't like is being unsure if its in place, and the being late so frequently! I do get some random cramping throughout the month, but it's just sort of mild irritation really.

I would recommend trying it if you have had a baby. :) Not sure how it works if you haven't had any yet though!

I was on Diane for 7 years before TTC for PCOS, I was diagnosed when I was 23, it worked great but I had to take care of my food cravings, I was always craving carbs which is not good as it increases the levels of insulin in blood which is one of the main causes of PCOS. It helps in regulating the hormones & stop further complications.

Did you get an insulin test? I had one & my levels were always normal as I always make sure I don't eat much carbs & sweets.

After I gave birth, I went back on Diane but it didn't work properly anymore, so I switched to Yasmin 3 yrs back. I didn't have any issues with it other than dryness down there.

Now I'm off the Pill for almost a month, I have withdrawal / side effects. I have headaches, migraine, mood swings & I feel dizzy. It was so bad during the second week, but now I feel much better.

The last time when I went off the Pill I didn't have those symptoms, when I tested insulin level it was normal. But I ended up with 2 chemicals before conceiving. It didn't affect my fertility, I conceived 5 months after going off the pill.

I don't know how my periods are going to be now I'm off the pill, AF is due next Monday but I'm expecting a delay (last time it was 10 days late) xx

I had Paraguard for a little over a year and didn't really have any negative side effects. My periods were the same as before except for the first one after insertion which was quite painful. I did get some between period spotting but it was really light. Really liked that it was not hormone based and won't mess up your cycle or fertility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->