Cost of your C-sec hospital bill (usa)?

I just got the prepayment bill for my hospital. C/s without any other complications is 2075 after my insurance pays thier part. So you can imagine...2075 is 25% of the total

Thanks guys. No, I currently don't have medical insurance; I've been out of work for 5 years and I have NOTHING. My husband almost had an aneurysm about the topic of hospital bills. He said if I don't get a job with medical then I'll have to apply to the state for some kind of help with it.

Very nice to know that I can run up to Canada to have my babies. Then they'd be Canadian; would they need green cards to come back home? I've never been out of the country at all, so I'd have to a LOT of studying on it. :shrug:

Thanks guys. No, I currently don't have medical insurance; I've been out of work for 5 years and I have NOTHING. My husband almost had an aneurysm about the topic of hospital bills. He said if I don't get a job with medical then I'll have to apply to the state for some kind of help with it.

Very nice to know that I can run up to Canada to have my babies. Then they'd be Canadian; would they need green cards to come back home? I've never been out of the country at all, so I'd have to a LOT of studying on it. :shrug:

You can always get medicaid, thats what I have and they paid for everything when I had my son almost 4 yrs ago.

Very hard to get medicaid if you're married. If your husband makes much of anything.

I haven't gotten my bill yet but mines going to be a doozy :(. One week of me in the hospital on IVs trying to lower my out of control BP, emcs, 5 days total after c section in hospital on IVs for most for me due to BP still outrageous, 22 days of NICU, LO going home on a apnea and bradycardia monitor for 4-6 weeks. NICU alone averages $10k/day. Our deductible is $8100.

We are estimating total bill of $350k-$400k easy. And this is after a rather normal pregnancy that turned nasty with severe preeclampsia. I had planned a natural birth lol.

Thats crazy jaylynne but not shocking unfortunately.

What's your out of pocket max? Ours is $4000 so that's the only thing making it feasible in my world. In case something happens

Well, the deductible is $2400, with max of $8100 out of pocket if in network. Out of network the total out of pocket is $33,000. Fortunately most is in network but the apnea monitor but due to issues getting one in network, one that serviced where we live and a company that had one in stock, they agreed to bill the out of network monitor in network. This was after yelling at the insurance company asking if theyd rather pay for at least another 5 days in NICU or bill in network for a monitor which would cost them far less.

Very hard to get medicaid if you're married. If your husband makes much of anything.

I think it really depends on the state you live in, as they all have different requirements. I've been on medicaid with both of my babies. (I was working when I got pregnant, and then was forced to quit both times (1) for complications and (2) because I lost my child care and couldn't find anyone else that would watch my son with my strange hours - which sucked because I worked for the state and would've been paid during my maternity leave.)

In a lot of states it's actually really easy for ANY pregnant woman to get medicaid.

You'd still have to pay if you had babies in Canada anyway - in order to have health care in Canada you have to be a citizen or resident or have some sort of visa. A friend of mine did this (by accident) and while her baby's health care was covered since he was now a Canadian citizen, her care wasn't covered and she got a bill for it.

Simple solution -- just move to Canada!

Got the preliminaries for my bill and this is after the negotiated costs by my insurance. Anesthesiologist-$2000
hospital first admittance 2 1/2 days- $9000
Hospital second admittance 6 days -$33000
Doesn't include surgeries yet or the NICU bill. Those come separately apparently.

Mine was 27,000 main bill 4000 babys bill 2000 extra anesteisiest bill

Wow, those costs are amazing. I'm very greatful that we don't get charged here.

Total bill was $26,000 with a 6 day hospital stay - the section itself was around $4k..
My insurance paid all but $250 total

For our daughter, born in December 2009, at Presbyterian Matthews (Novant) – Charlotte, NC:

- normal vaginal birth without complications but my wife was slightly higher “risk”
- two day hospital stay
- 13 prenatal visits, one postpartum visit – one midterm ultrasound (included in global CPT charge for labor/delivery)

Gross Costs Before Re-contracting by Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC:

$4,320 – prenatal visits/delivery/one ultrasound midterm/one postpartum visit – we paid $599.52
$2,125 – anesthesiology for epidural – 90% of women usually have these – we paid $130
$8,990 – hospital service gross charges for my wife (AFTER bill auditing/review which found over $3000 in add-on errors) – 48 hour stay - we paid $1,823.60
$962 – gross hospital charges billed to insurance for our daughter – 48 hour stay - $810 nursery (room and board) + $152 lab – we paid $192.40
$152 – one pediatrician visit for our daughter while in hospital – we paid $24.21

TOTAL GROSS AMOUNTS BILLED TO INSURANCE BY PROVIDERS BEFORE RE-CONTRACTING: $16,549

TOTAL WE PAID FOR ALL PRENATAL VISITS, 48 HOUR HOSPITAL STAY, ONE POSTPARTUM VISIT AFTER ALL RE-CONTRACTING AND ALL BILL AMOUNT SETTLEMENT: $2,793.94

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR OUR SON BORN July 4, 2012 at Carolinas Medical Center – uptown - (Carolinas Healthcare System)

-Elective C-Section – planning for another vaginal birth but things medical pros saw suggested medical best practice for a C section
-3 day stay
-16 prenatal visits, one post partum visit – one midterm ultrasound (included in global CPT charge for labor/delivery) - two additional medically necessary ultrasounds (which will be charged extra)

Bills are just starting to be sent to our current health plan – Medi-Share/PHCS – I’ll update later, but for now so far:

$2,645.05 – gross hospital service charges for our son’s 72 hour/3 day hospital service charges (3 days nursery, and some other charges) – amount we paid TBD

TBD – all other services

I do wish people in the UK whinging about the NHS (our national health service which is free although we pay tax on our salary into it) would come read this. we have it good in the uk. you know here your birth will cost nothing. no worrying over it.

I do wish people in the UK whinging about the NHS (our national health service which is free although we pay tax on our salary into it) would come read this. we have it good in the uk. you know here your birth will cost nothing. no worrying over it.

Thanks for your well wishes.

Be careful what you say is "free...." I have been fortunate to have lived in 3 years in Western Europe, for the experience, but I do not know how the middle class survives there, and I told myself after year one there that I don't think I could ever live in Western Europe permanently unless I got some job as a CEO.

Gasoline = $8 +/ $1, a gallon there - 70%-80% of which is tax, in the US, about $4 gallon - about 20-25% of it is tax

sales tax, known as VAT (value added tax) 15% depending on the country - Spain just raised their VAT to 21% - most Americans pay about 7% sales tax - depending on where they live - many pay none on food in the US - when I lived in Europe, everything, including food, had the sales tax (VAT) included in the price so my favorite snack Pringles - which costs $1.25 here, cost me the equivalent of about $2.50 USD there, and that was in 2006 when I left.

Income tax rates in Western Europe - 55% starting as low as the equivalent of $60,000 USD in income. Highest income tax rate in US right now is 35% Federal, 0-10% state, depending on state, and goes far higher

By percentage, very few live in houses in Western Europe, most live in high rise, block style apartments or small condos...

Middle class is having a tough time getting ahead in the USA, but very tough for middle class to do so in Western Europe, and that was in 2006, during the peak of the good times, can't imagine how tough it is now....

.... Very expensive to live in Western Europe day to day, and other parts of the 1st World... Australia too, nice place to visit, but expensive there too.

... Did I also hear on the opening ceremonies of the Olympics that the NHS is temporarily not providing knee or ankle surgeries because of reduced government funding in the UK?

I agree with tristansmum. I get so annoyed when uk people moan about NHS care. In comparison to what you guys pay it's nothing at all in our taxes etc which don't just cover health care but a million other services. Only about 1% of our tax goes to nhs which when you look at US figures would probably get us a baby but no other healthcare that year!!
I hope you guys have big piggy banks:)

I agree with tristansmum. I get so annoyed when uk people moan about NHS care. In comparison to what you guys pay it's nothing at all in our taxes etc which don't just cover health care but a million other services. Only about 1% of our tax goes to nhs which when you look at US figures would probably get us a baby but no other healthcare that year!!
I hope you guys have big piggy banks

Let's start with facts and honest sources, not just wild assertions...

This January 2012 study posted by your The Sun in the UK about taxes states that far more than 1% of taxes goes to the NHS:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4081200/Where-does-all-your-cash-go.html

It says the average UK citizen earns 26000 pounds = $40,000 USD at today's rate.

6,134 British pounds of that go out the door in taxes and national insurance = $9,600 USD, or, 1/4th of the paycheck.

It also says, "... the second largest chunk goes to the NHS...." or 1,109 British pounds = $1,800 USD, or, almost 1 in 5 British pounds received in taxes go to the NHS.

So, if you are making $40,000 USD in the UK, almost $2,000 USD of that alone goes just to the NHS according to The Sun.

In the US, if you are making $40,000 USD, you pay, AT MOST, $6,125 in ALL national (Federal) income tax, and in reality the effective tax rate is far less because of deductions and other credits.

.... As far as services, we have plenty of tax payer funded services too... Next time you are in the USA just ask a homeowner to open to the Blue Pages (govt) section of their local phone book. Pages upon pages of different numbers and departments, the vast majority of people who only each heard of a small share of these different services/departments...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->