Cosultant vs Midwife

Yvonne1

Reaction score
Hi

I have been put under consultant care. What is the difference ad pros ad cons does anyone know?

thxs

I'm under consultant care too, but it's my first so I don't know how it differs to normal care. This is what it's like for me though:

* Appointments are made at the hospital, not GP practice.
* Appointments involve a senior midwife and consultant in attendance
* More frequent appointments
* More tailored to your individual needs.

I imagine you're in consultant care due to being pregnant with twins. :)

I was put under consultant care because of my family medical history.

MW care are for low risk pregnancies.

I think it means you get extra special attention and more careful monitoring x

yes midwife care for low risk-medium risk pregnant women.

But really it up too you who cares for you, I know alot of people who were pregnant with twins and just wants Midwifery care.

I myself will be classed as high risk because i had a c-section but i will be taking midwifery care not consultant care

I too am classed as high risk because of sections, and im under both, but wont see a consultant until im 36 weeks and thats to discuss the section, but i already know whats what, so really its just to make the date.
I suppose i will have a few questions though, i dont know what to expect from the 4th section, but im a long way away yet, so no need to worry.

Midwife-low risk
Consultant-higher risk

Im consultant lead-because of my high bp and medication im on for that. I have had more appointments and check ups/scans etc because of this.

keely.

I am under consultant care too - although I didn't know, I noticed it in my blue notes the other day! So far I have only seen the midwife for appointments. I did see the consultant for a Nuchal scan at 11 weeks but that was because I had to pay to have it done privately as it's not avail on NHS here and the consultant that did the Nuchal scan in the local private hospital is also the head consultant of the maternity dept of my local NHS hospital!

I was under consultant care from the beginning of my pregnancy and i also saw my midwife at GP's.

The consultant was great he was really involved i got a scan every 4 weeks and saw him every 4 weeks at hospital. Saw midwife to talk about my birth plan and just to chat really (i liked it coz she was a woman and really open about labour).

When i was taken to hospital and needed a section it was my consultant that i'd had throughout my pregnancy who did my section. i felt in safe hands.

I'd have consultant and widwife care together agin next time.

What exactly is a consultant?

Im with a specialized OB Doctor, that was my choice. Since this is my first baby I wanted to make sure I had someone very good, which is what I got.

Nurses only assist with care here anyways.

Im on shared care however have only seen the consultant once and they only want to see me again if my baby goes overdue...other than that i see the MW as normal and the MW said it must be because they dont consider me as high risk so are not interested!

What exactly is a consultant?

Im with a specialized OB Doctor, that was my choice. Since this is my first baby I wanted to make sure I had someone very good, which is what I got.

Nurses only assist with care here anyways.

Consultant is referring to obstetrician/Gynecologist

Ive got both lol, consultant every 4 weeks (because baby is big and im asthmatic) and midwife every 2 weeks

I was under consultant care from the beginning of my pregnancy due to already having an under-active thyroid and in the early weeks blood tests showed that I needed an increase in my thyroxine medication, however since 30weeks I have been placed under midwife care because the consultant believes that my thyroid levels are now controlled.

I am personally really happy to be placed under midwife care only because it now means I can give birth at the birthing centre, whereas under the consultant I wouldn't have had any choice other than to give birth on the labour & delivery ward.

I guess under a consultant you are been monitored more closely and treated as necessary which are all good but the down side is that you don't have as many choices regarding where you give birth for example.

Initially I was put under consultant care, but I asked to be changed to mw care. Theres loads of reasons why you would get put on consultant care, mine was due to a post partum haemorrhage last time, but my consultant agreed with me that it has nothing to do with my preg and therefore theres no point in consultant led care. I will have a consultant present at the birth tho, I am not allowed to use the mw unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->