Cot bumpers - safe or not?

Orange lady

Reaction score
I'm busy collecting all things needed for our new arrival. Whilst talking to my brother about the bedding for the cotbed he said that you're not supposed to use bumpers anymore. All of the sets are sold either with a bumper or have one available.
Can anyone tell me more about this?
thanks I'm confused :dohh:

We have one and are still using it in our 16month old daughters cot. We have never had an issue with using one.

I was wondering this too - good question :thumbup:

I saw some bedding yesterday (with bumpers - looked lovely!), but was looking at how it was "tied" to the cot... the things about not having any ties/cords etc anywhere near your baby's cot was going through my head :shrug:

Look forward to some answers.

QT

I'm busy collecting all things needed for our new arrival. Whilst talking to my brother about the bedding for the cotbed he said that you're not supposed to use bumpers anymore. All of the sets are sold either with a bumper or have one available.
Can anyone tell me more about this?
thanks I'm confused :dohh:

I was told the same by SIL. She didn't know 'why' though! I'd be interested to know if anyone knows the answer to this!

Not sure but I think the issue is whether the ties can be reached by the baby and pulled undone (risk that the baby could suffocate perhaps?). Just make sure that you get one where the ties are on the outside of the cot - can't see that it would be a problem then. I will be getting them for my baby - surely it's safer than to have the baby accidentally knock itself on the bars once it starts to wriggle about? x

They are deemed not safe because if they get too close it would be like smothering them. I have found an alternative to a cot bumper which is breathable and stops their legs and feet hanging out the cot! https://airwrap.com.au/ I have actually held it up against my mouth a breathed through it. I ordered mine from here https://www.olivers-baby-care.co.uk/little-linen-company-airwrap.html

I have bumpers included in my bedding set and I think I'll be using them...

Thing is they tell you to put the babys foot to the end of the cot when putting them down anyway. SO unless they wriggle a lot the bumpers shouldn't matter too much.

My sister has had them in her cotbed since her little one started using it, he wriggles an unbelievable amount in his cot and no harm has ever come of them.

It is all confusing though. I had a similar question as they tell you not to use quilts...but the bedding set comes with a quilt...so what do you use?!

x x

Not safe... swear the things you hear, may aswell wrap your baby up in cotton wool for first 4 years of there life.
All do's & dont's etc. Personal choice at end of the day.
Amber had all of cot bedding on, was in her cot from around 2wks old. Never once had an issue with the cot bumper, as she grew, she didnt even bother with it. It was still on till she was 8mnths.
I shall be putting it on again.

They are deemed not safe because if they get too close it would be like smothering them. I have found an alternative to a cot bumper which is breathable and stops their legs and feet hanging out the cot! https://airwrap.com.au/ I have actually held it up against my mouth a breathed through it. I ordered mine from here https://www.olivers-baby-care.co.uk/little-linen-company-airwrap.html

fantastic - thank you.

Hi hunny i didnt use them with my boys cos of the smothering issue and my 2 wriggled all over the place , but i think its personal choice at the end of the day , my sister used them and never had any problems , but im a natural worrier . Those ones nataliew suggested look good . xx

The advice given is that cot bumpers can be used until around 6 months when the baby can sit unaided. Quilts are safe from 12 months. I have bought a bumper myself. I don't worry about quilts as I prefer to use sleeping bags anyway until the babys older.

One reason it is suggested that you do not get bumpers is that it reduces airflow around baby. Think about it you need to keep a room warm for baby but if you were sleeping in a bed with raised warm fabric sides just how stuffy it would get by your head!!

Although a room thermometer may say the room is a good temp it may be hotter aorund babies head and as mentioned stuffy.

Having a good airflow around the baby helps to reduce SIDS.

I dont understand why you would want or need bumpers for a newborn anyway its not as if a newborn can roll itself over with enough force to do itself damage on the sides of the cot! Perhaps when they are older but certainly not for a newborn.

hi ure not suppose d to us bumpers for at least a yr or six months to prevent smothering.at least thats what i was told.

I hope that baby will be in a moses basket/crib for the first .. months, so probably wont be an issue, anyway.

Think that bumps look lovely (and quilts), but I will abstain I think.

QT

Thanks for posting this thread, I was wondering about this too. As for moses baskets they're fully enclosed too so where does that come into the airflow thing?? :dohh: Oh my I'm gonna need a lot of help lol!!!:wacko:

That's a good point actually. What about the moses basket? They're far more enclosed than having a bumper I'd say.
I will ask my midwife when I see her next, I'm just a little confused...
:wacko:

I think I am going to get rid of that hod thing on the Moses basket. I was thinking the other day that it must stop air flow. I am being given a second hand Moses basket (I will buy a new matress) so it might not even have a hood anyway, but I think it would be better to have it open and to use a fan in the room to keep the air flowing

I won't be using bumpers for smothering and airflow reasons mentioned above. I think the new style mesh bumper would probably be fine.

I won't be using bumpers for smothering and airflow reasons mentioned above. I think the new style mesh bumper would probably be fine.

I agree. I've already bought mesh style bumper from Target. Airflow supposedly does make a difference when it comes to SIDS and I don't want to take the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->