Cot bumpers - safe or not?

One reason it is suggested that you do not get bumpers is that it reduces airflow around baby. Think about it you need to keep a room warm for baby but if you were sleeping in a bed with raised warm fabric sides just how stuffy it would get by your head!!

Although a room thermometer may say the room is a good temp it may be hotter aorund babies head and as mentioned stuffy.

Having a good airflow around the baby helps to reduce SIDS.

I dont understand why you would want or need bumpers for a newborn anyway its not as if a newborn can roll itself over with enough force to do itself damage on the sides of the cot! Perhaps when they are older but certainly not for a newborn.

It's a SIDs thing. I have used them but my boy slept in a basinette for the first 6 mths and he sleeps in a safety sleep so he can't smother himself in it. When the safety sleep is being washed, I take the bumper off.

One reason it is suggested that you do not get bumpers is that it reduces airflow around baby. Think about it you need to keep a room warm for baby but if you were sleeping in a bed with raised warm fabric sides just how stuffy it would get by your head!!

Although a room thermometer may say the room is a good temp it may be hotter aorund babies head and as mentioned stuffy.

Having a good airflow around the baby helps to reduce SIDS.

I dont understand why you would want or need bumpers for a newborn anyway its not as if a newborn can roll itself over with enough force to do itself damage on the sides of the cot! Perhaps when they are older but certainly not for a newborn.

It's a SIDs thing. I have used them but my boy slept in a basinette for the first 6 mths and he sleeps in a safety sleep so he can't smother himself in it. When the safety sleep is being washed, I take the bumper off.

what's a safety sleep?

Am really undecided. Have bought a crip because i felt its sturdier than a moses basket as i have three cats. I was going to put a bumper round so that the cats dont put there paws through the bars. Might look at the airflow thing.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->