Could I have caused my chemical pregnancy?

beetlebabs

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Second posting here - first was on Sunday when I got a faint positive on a HPT. Took two digital tests afterward, and everything came back positive. We were over the moon as we've been TTC since May. But then 3 nights later I had extreme cramping in my stomach, and went to the doc for tests the next day. Sono didn't show anything in my uterus, even tho i should have been over 5 weeks so should be visible. Blood tests showed HCG very low, and doc thinks it was probably a chemical pregnancy. I'll go back for more blood tests in a couple of days to confirm, but feels to me like all hope is lost.

Was feeling sad, but also happy just to have conceived and to know that we can get pregnant. But just now it occurred to me that I had some bleeding a week early, which was as heavy as my usual period, so I just thought I was early which has happened before. That was the Thursday before xmas, and so I celebrated the holidays with family and friends, which included plenty of drinking. It wasn't until the following weekend that I took a pregnancy test bc my temp wasn't falling after my period (which can also be caused by alcohol!) and then i woke up with sore breasts. So I guess the bleeding was implantation bleeding. So suddenly I'm wondering if all the alcohol caused the miscarriage! Which is absolutely devastating me. Do you think this is possible?

dont blame yourself huni, alcohol isnt as harmful as they actually make out it is. so sorry about your loss :hug:

Personally, I don't think so at all lovely. I think it's just terrible bad luck. I'm sorry for your loss.
xxx

dont blame yourself huni, alcohol isnt as harmful as they actually make out it is. so sorry about your loss :hug:

I agree totally hon, sorry to hear about your loss :hugs: Beating yourself up about it won't get you anywhere. Good luck with ttc in the future x

Absolutely 100% nothing you did wrong. Please stop beating yourself up, be kind to yourself and concentrate on getting strong.

Gentle hugs to you hun. :hugs:

Actually, they just came out with studies that show that alcohol is the single most devastating thing you can do to your body as far as drugs and alcohol go. That being said, I don't think the OP caused her chemical pregnancy...my first child I drank like crazy before I found out I was pregnant and the pregnancy and the baby were just fine.

Thanks everyone. I know I shouldn't beat myself up about this, but this is definitely a lesson learned. Do most people drink (lightly!) after you've ovulated? I know it's probably best practice, but also sometimes a nice glass of wine with dinner is just what you need to relax and not focus too much on the waiting game...

You must never ever blame yourself, you have done nothing wrong x

Hun not your fault, it's natures way of saying things just arent right... I know it doesnt make you feel any better. Guilt is one of the grieving proceses everyone feels there is something they should have done different but it could have happened if you'd not touched a drop :hugs:

Ah hun, so sorry for your situation... but you did NOTHING wrong! These things just happen... and more often than one would think. Most women have no clue when this happens. Its your bodies way of letting you know something was wrong and that lil bean wasn't meant to be... I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but it's good you are able to get pregnant. That's something for sure!!!

Wishing you all the best hun!!!!

It was my understanding for the first 12 weeks the embryo is nurtured by a yolk sac (unconnected to the mothers bloodflow) that develops, it then transitions to the placenta, this transition is why the twelve week stage is considered a landmark. The yolk sac is natures way of protecting the embryo from toxins etc during the early stages when a mother may be unaware of her pregnancy.

That's how my midwife explained it to me when I nervously questioned her about the TWO bottles of wine I drunk in one sitting three days before getting my BFP with my DD. She wasn't planned.

Please don't blame yourself x x x

Also to add when I had my scan with DD I was not as far on and her yolk sac is visible in the scan as a White ring, the sonographer also told me in a week or two the baby would be dependant on the placenta.

It was my understanding for the first 12 weeks the embryo is nurtured by a yolk sac (unconnected to the mothers bloodflow) that develops, it then transitions to the placenta, this transition is why the twelve week stage is considered a landmark. The yolk sac is natures way of protecting the embryo from toxins etc during the early stages when a mother may be unaware of her pregnancy.

That's how my midwife explained it to me when I nervously questioned her about the TWO bottles of wine I drunk in one sitting three days before getting my BFP with my DD. She wasn't planned.

Please don't blame yourself x x x

Thanks for the info! I never knew this (if I heard about it/learned it in school, then it went in one ear and out the other LOL).:thumbup:

PnRs Thank you thank you so much for writing this. It's a big relief for me to read. I'm still going back for blood tests on Monday to confirm, but I'm pretty sure based on the dates of everything that there is not any hope. My OH is still hopeful....But I'm just glad we got pregnant at all. That is a milestone in itself. Best wishes to all :)

Just updating after an appointment with my doc again today. I've had light bleeding all weekend, and this morning my temp dropped a full degree to 97.5, which was actually a big relief. Honestly at this point I just want this all to be over so we can move on, and start trying again when we're ready. But regarding the alcohol, my doc assured me that there is absolutely no way that alcohol could have had anything to do with the miscarriage. She said that alcohol doesn't cause miscarriage, it causes fetal alcohol syndrome. Big relief to hear it from her! She reiterated what I've read, that this little guy just wasn't meant to be and it's probably a blessing that my body is passing it naturally. Unfortunately, they want to keep tracking my HCG to make sure it gets down to 0. This means I have to go back for blood tests every week. It's hard to step foot in that office these days, but I'm sure it will get easier with time. So, on we go....

Glad your mind it as rest, look after yourself and, you'll soon be ready to try again x

Just updating after an appointment with my doc again today. I've had light bleeding all weekend, and this morning my temp dropped a full degree to 97.5, which was actually a big relief. Honestly at this point I just want this all to be over so we can move on, and start trying again when we're ready. But regarding the alcohol, my doc assured me that there is absolutely no way that alcohol could have had anything to do with the miscarriage. She said that alcohol doesn't cause miscarriage, it causes fetal alcohol syndrome. Big relief to hear it from her! She reiterated what I've read, that this little guy just wasn't meant to be and it's probably a blessing that my body is passing it naturally. Unfortunately, they want to keep tracking my HCG to make sure it gets down to 0. This means I have to go back for blood tests every week. It's hard to step foot in that office these days, but I'm sure it will get easier with time. So, on we go....

I'm glad you got some for of resolution :hugs:

:hugs:Not at all your fault,I had a chemical in December,I'ven't touched alcohol in my life and I was sitting at home around and after the period of implantation.Chemicals are usually due to gross chromosomal anomalies in the conceptus which can happen to anyone.FX for you BFP next time.:thumbup:

Ok. You need to hear this LOUD AND CLEAR. You did not cause this to happen. Your baby does not use your blood stream for the first few weeks, with the timing you shared, nothing you would have drunk would have even touched your baby.
i am so very sorry for your loss, and I hope you can take some comfort in the fact you got pregnant. Good luck with future trying!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->