Could some one explain further please

Janie66

Husband Dave,2 daughters
Reaction score
Hiya
I went to the GP today, as I have been having some low down left sided pain on and off since late July, almost colicky and pinching feeling, I have been reffered for a pelvic scan,which will look into my womb, and deep investigation of ovaries etc... but I am still waiting for the appointment to come through.... but in the meantime, my GP did some basic swab tests, which came back negative, so that box was ticked off, I still have not fell preganant yet , so she said she will now do a progesterone level on day 21 , which I have booked in for bloods to be taken... also a FSH and LH test to be done on days 1-5..... she said if everythings comes back ok from this or does'nt ie; folicall eggs amounts reserve low etc, maybe i might need just a little push and be offered clomoid... and this would have to be done as a referal to a fertility consultant,but I will have to pay for it, she said that I dont meet the critria for NHS funding, question is I guess I am asking, is this true, I cannot even get prescribed drugs on the NHS for fertility, I was under the assumption this nhs criteria was for the more complex situation as in IUI or IVF etc stuff... so now Im worried if we do have to go down this route, I am not sure how much that would cost to see a consultant and pay for the drugs etc and even if we could afford it... has anyone been given clomoid on the NHS whos over 40, if so what was your background and situation, also if anyone who has had to pay, due to not meeting NHS criteria, what was the rough pricies for this, lets say for prescribing clomoid etc.

Thanks

Janie xxxx

Im not sure, but every nhs board is different. Find out from your GP what they will do or better yet, get a referral to a gyno and get a script from them. I might be wrong but you should be able to get clomid at least and some scans to go along with it...

All the best, hun!

good news is that NICE are planning to change the guidelines for fertility treatment and age (thanks Nise for that info x), bad news is the new ones aren't due out until 2012 ( think it said 2 years). So it's 2 years before it should be available free but by then everyone here is 2 years older :-( still at least it's happening.

https://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/12157/48617/48617.pdf

I don't think it is your age that is the issue with the criteria, but the fact that you already have children. That's the case in West Sussex, you can't get clomid on nhs if you've already have children, it might be the same thing in Surrey.

Hiya
You sound very similar to me! I am a little bit further down the road however.:thumbup:
I have my first private consult on 24 Sept after referral from my GP. My GP told me that he couldn't prescribe Clomid as GP's no longer do, only consultants.:wacko:
As I already have children and am over the PCT age level of 37, I cannot get funding for ANY fertility treatment on the NHS.

My first app will be £190 and any scans, blood tests or routine screenings will be on top of that!!!
A simple blood test for AMH levels or prolactin costs £46, however I can opt for a complete package for IUI/Clomid with full monitoring for £845 per cycle!

I don't have insurance, so I am footing the bill myself! This means that I will only be able to afford one or two cycles.:cry:

Your own PCT may have different age level cut off. In mine its 37 as I said, but 25 miles up the road its 40!
However, they ALL seem to say if you already have children then its a definate NO!:shrug:

Hiya
You sound very similar to me! I am a little bit further down the road however.:thumbup:
I have my first private consult on 24 Sept after referral from my GP. My GP told me that he couldn't prescribe Clomid as GP's no longer do, only consultants.:wacko:
As I already have children and am over the PCT age level of 37, I cannot get funding for ANY fertility treatment on the NHS.

My first app will be £190 and any scans, blood tests or routine screenings will be on top of that!!!
A simple blood test for AMH levels or prolactin costs £46, however I can opt for a complete package for IUI/Clomid with full monitoring for £845 per cycle!

I don't have insurance, so I am footing the bill myself! This means that I will only be able to afford one or two cycles.:cry:

Your own PCT may have different age level cut off. In mine its 37 as I said, but 25 miles up the road its 40!
However, they ALL seem to say if you already have children then its a definate NO!:shrug:

Hi mummytofour....

Thanks for all that info, makes so much sense now, so basically, because i have two children from a previous marriage, who are older now, youngest being nearly 14, that I should not get nhs help at all and my hubby has no live chilren,so no help :-(..... its like ](*,)..... thats not cheap the 845 per cycle is it, im wondering how much that would be my way after a reffereal. At least my GP is trying to do as many of the blood tests on the NHS before we go down that route, Thanks again tho, you have explained it all very well to me.
:hugs: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->