Could this be autism?

Fliss_floss

Mum of one
Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts and advice from parents with kids on With autism.

For a while we've just thought that our 3 year old has some unusual quirks, but I'm now starting to worry there may be more to it.

1. She constantly jumps about and tenses her body when excited
2. Lines up her toys first thing in the morning. I'm talking about up to 70 little Paw patrol/lion king figures. If I tidy them away she freaks out and lines them back up.
3. Turns away from strangers who try to talk to her. Ignores them completely
4. Plays on her own. Won't let her sister or anyone else join in
5. She needs the same place mat at dinner time every night and gets really upset if we forget.
6. We recently went on holiday and had a week of hell as she's would not eat a thing or join in with any activities. She was very agitated the whole time and kept telling us she wanted to go home. Her behaviour was so out of sorts, we couldn't believe it and are putting it down to a change in her usual routine

Does this sound similar to anyone else's experiences. Should we visit our GP?

Thanks

A lot of 3 year olds have these quirks, mine certainly has a few. I wouldn't worry.

My 2.5yo does a couple of these (jumping, tensing and hiding from strangers) I don't have any autism concerns, try not to worry too much

#2, 4, 5 and 6 resonate with my son - he has austism.

Although what you have written are typical traits they could also point to something else. Does she go to preschool/nursery at all? Have you spoken to them?

My DD does quite a few of these, she's almost 16 months.

I'd say they're pretty typical! Most kids like routine, I'd see a lot of it like that.

Could be, could not be.

My kids have a cousin that when I saw him at 18 months I told DH "I think he has autism", at 2.5 his doctors have finally brought it up.

He makes no eye contact, not when you are speaking to him, nothing. He doesn't turn away, he acts like it goes right through him. He doesn't engage with other people or children. He is non-verbal at 2.5 (my DD is 3 months younger than him and speaks in full sentences). He is violent and bites a lot (probably because he can't communicate with speech).

My daughter is younger, 2, but is NT. She shies away from strangers who talk to her and won't look at them (although she does make eye contact). My son went through a phase around 3 when he HAD TO HAVE a spiderman fork every time he ate - would have a meltdown without it. He is also now (at 4) going through a play on his own phase. These seem normal. At 4 though he is big on talking to everyone, even strangers.

A lot of the behaviors you list seem normal to me, and I've experienced them to some degree with one or both of my children (who are older and younger than your LO) but are not on the spectrum.

Their cousin, has (to me) significantly more signs of autism, but his mom is in denial and isn't working towards getting a diagnosis.

Best thing to do is to jot down your concerns and again in 3 months and 6 months. If the same things are occurring then might be worth getting some professional help, if changes then fine. It's consistent behaviors that are the worry not ones that come and then go

Thanks ladies

She's starting pre-school after summer, so I'll hold off and see how she settles in.

I hadn't even considered possible autism until we went on holiday last week. It was like she'd had a personality transplant. It was my husband that mentioned he was worried that something's not quite right. The noise and hustle and bustle was too much for her.
I started looking into autism signs and couldn't believe how many she was showing, as I said things we just put down to quirks.

I think it is worth it to take her to her pediatrician to bring up your concerns.

How is she with interacting with you? Did she have a social smile as a baby? What was her language acquisition like? When she plays alone, does she play imaginatively? Does she spontaneously use objects symbolically in play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->