Couple of nursery questions

smokey

Mummy to a monkey
Reaction score
We got our aceptance letter for LO's nursery this week and need to fill out what days and times he will be going.
For the moment im on maternity leave so im not restricted by work so he pretty much can go as little of as much as we decide (will probably start with 2 afternoons and increase it later on)

How many days/hours does your lo go to nursery?
How much does your nursery charge per hour?
Have you found its calmed them down in the evening or hyped them up a bit?

How many days/hours does your lo go to nursery? 3 mornings, 8am-1pm. So 15hpw

How much does your nursery charge per hour? Ava gets the 2 year old funding so it's free but I think it's around £5ph

Have you found its calmed them down in the evening or hyped them up a bit? She is alot more tired in the evenings, she goes to bed an hour earlier and is knackered most of the afternoon after coming home. It takes it out of her for sure!

My lo has been in nursery since 9 months old but since he got his funded hours we have changed his days around a bit. He goes 4 mornings a week and he is totally exhausted when he is collected after lunch. The nursery he is in only does sessions so not an hourly rate but its charges £19 a session (morning or afternoon). So we get 3 Free sessions and one session which we pay for. Works well for us :) x

Ivy goes 2 afternoons a week, 1-4 but we are switching to 2 mornings a week starting from Thursday which I am so relieved about, so she will be going from 9-12. I think her preschool charges 8.50 an hour, and she sleeps sooooooooo well on her preschool days, even just three hours seems to exhaust her! In September when she gets funding she will prob do 2 full days a week.

the 15 free hours, does your nursery have a designated day or session for those to be used up ie if it was mon, tue, wed morning but you did thur, fri morning you loose out on the 15 hours and have to pay or is it the first 15 hours of no matter when they go?
I have been told most nurseries have designated times for it so ill need to ask them about this.

This nursery charges £21 for a morning session 8:30-11:30 then £17 for a afternnon session 12:30-3 then £7 for any additional hour after the free 15 hours (lunch is £7 and isnt covered by the free time)
Does this sound about right cost wise?

Sam goes 2 full days a week, from 8am to 6 pm (although while I'm on maternity leave we've reduced it to one day).

Cost is £38.50 per day.

Definitely tires him out!!

Im really hoping it tires him out :)
Hes pretty easy going in the morning but in the afternnon hes a mad tazmanian devil running round tearing the place up and jumping off the sofa.
No matter how much I try to tire him out during the day or how tired he seems come 5pm hes off.
The other thing im planning on doing is taking him swimming in the evening as well to hopfully tire him out, failing both those its brandy in evening milk :)

Oliver goes Tuesday 12-3, Thursday and Friday 9-3 as of September he will be doing 9-3 on Tuesdays as well. - he is at pre school not nursery

£4 per hour but they are 3 hour blocks so you have to pay £12 per session.

It depends what he has been doing there, normally on his full days he comes home tired, the afternoon he comes back full of energy. But he is never tired to the point where he will full asleep or anything.

Whats the differance between nursery and preschool? Brian will be here for the next 20 months then off to school at 5 (omg is it that close till hes 5) so I dont get what the differance between them is.

Nurseries are either attached to the school, or private, private ones don't have a set routine as much as school ones do.

Oliver's pre school isn't attached to the school, its over the road. Some are, but its more about getting them ready for school, he does all the subjects he will do at school .

Is he not starting in September next year? Oliver will be 4 and half when he starts school.

B goes 2 afternoons a week, the session is 1.30 til 6 but i collect early. its £200 a month which is about £23 per session. she gets quite overexcited but she is quite an excitable child lol!

Rowan does 2 full days a week; she is dropped off at 8:30 and picked up at 5.20. It is £38 a day. She absolutely loves it but is always zonked when we get home as she has been so busy and doesn't really nap when she is there!

Nurseries are either attached to the school, or private, private ones don't have a set routine as much as school ones do.

Oliver's pre school isn't attached to the school, its over the road. Some are, but its more about getting them ready for school, he does all the subjects he will do at school .

Is he not starting in September next year? Oliver will be 4 and half when he starts school.

I need to look into the start date for school, I thought it was september after 5 but thats just going by when I started.
Lookimg at this place its actually called a playschool rather then a nursery so I think that was just my termanology because its all the same to me :)
It is attached to his next 2 schools and part of a a church group with actual curiculam to it and follows normal school terms but you dont need to be there 5 days all day.

When she first started at 3years she went Tues and Thurs am. Tues she did 9-12 and Thurs she did 9-1. Since the end of Jan though she has been going an extra session on a Wed 9-1.

We pay (or did until the funding kicked in) £10.50 per 3 hour session, £14 for the 4 hour session. Works out at £3.50 per hour.

It hasn't hyped her up but i wouldn't say it's calmed her down either. She's just the same.

Whats the differance between nursery and preschool? Brian will be here for the next 20 months then off to school at 5 (omg is it that close till hes 5) so I dont get what the differance between them is.

Nurseries tend to be open for longer hours and have a wider age range of children.

Ours both went to a pre-school and the youngest they accept there is 2years 3months. They are only open 9-4 Mon and Thurs and 9-1 Tues, Wed and Fri.

Most pre-schools where i live are independent and not affiliated with any school.

Re the funding - you will have to check with the nursery. We get the 15 hours and it doesn't matter when Esther attends.

Well good job you mentioned the start age for school PF, I poped down to the school this afternoon and it is a year sooner then I though and they have their applications open now for his year to start (september 2014) so I picked up his application form.
I havnt got a clue when it comes to schooling terms, all I know is where I want him to go :)

I was thinking he should be starting next sept as we have had to apply for the pack to apply for yhe place in October

Tom does 3 full days 8.15ish to 5ish cos I work those days. He always knackered on those days but loves it there.

We pay £35 a day or £22 for a half day. His 15 hours just come off the monthly bill.

LO goes to pre school 3 full days currently (7.30/8-5) but they are open 7.30-6.30.
His is a private nursery starting from 3months to school age.
It isn't attached to a school so when LO leaves next August (at 4 years & 8 months) he will go up to his new school.
We have to apply for school from sept this year fir a place next year.
Cost wise it's bloody expensive!! Ours is £65 a day and since receiving the 15 hours free funding, this is taken off our bill every month.
We basically pay £620 a month for 3 days childcare.
Now I'm on mat leave we are reducing down to 2 days so that will be better!
It doesn't hype him up, he absolutely loves it there and if I'd wanted to work full time he would have happily gone 5 days a week!
But he has been at nursery since he was 9.5 months old so doesn't really know any difference.
He comes home shattered but full of stories of his day and he has a lovely circle if nursery friends :)
He is always in bed a little earlier on nursery days and sleeps in a bit more.
Hope that helps somewhat! Xxx

I was thinking he should be starting next sept as we have had to apply for the pack to apply for yhe place in October

Does this pack include the governmental authority form as well as the school form?
I only found out today I need to do 2 forms, one from the school and one from the government plus a refferance letter from the priest for church attandance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->