Cousins with similar names?

Hiding

Two lovely boys
Reaction score
I love the name Annabelle/Annabel but my sister called her daughter Isobel last year (I'd told her my name choice but at that time my hubby was NOT committing to a 3rd child). I just can't decide on another name and keep coming back to Annabelle! We also like Eliza so it's a good second. What would you do?

(There's a slight chance they will end up in the same school, even the same class. I'm tempted to make my decision after schools make their placements this year as feel it won't be so important if they're in different schools even though we live near each other - am I clutching at straws?!)

I should add, we're team yellow. Boys name is sorted :)

My sister and cousin both have the same name, born three weeks apart (my dad and his sister), both liked the same name. Crazy, but they did it. You will always find a reason not to pick a name xxxxxgood luck deciding

I've got a cousin with the exact same name as me, i don't think that Isabelle and Annabel are so similar that it would be odd iykwim. But I really like your second choice Eliza :)

I think it's fine. There's a good chance one or both will want to use a shortened version of their name by the time they start school anyway, so as long as they don't both pick Bella it won't mater.

And to be honest, you never know who will end up in a class with your child. You could give them a name you've never heard anywhere else and still end up with three in the same class and one living next door, so pick the name you love.

Thank you - I really am tempted to talk to her about it. If we'd settled on something else it'd be fine, but I've never found it easy to pick girls names! I have a feeling it's my third son, but really want to feel settled with a girls name just in case.

:flower:

I would talk to her, but ut sounds like they will have different last names, and as long as you don't both use bells or bella you should ok

I'd probably still use it- as long as your sister is OK with it. DH's younger cousin is called Finn, DH is Finlay nn Fin. It doesn't seem weird, and when they wer eyoung they liked having the same (more or less) name.

my son has 2 cousins born 6 months apart both called Harry

also my son is Jake and my brother is Jack

they dont see each other anywhere near enough for it to be confusing

I think it's fine, two totally different names, especially with the way your sister spelled Isobel. :)

I think it's fine but I would talk to your sister and just explain to her but I think you should be fine. My DH has a nephew called Oliver and a cousin called Olivia that does get a little confusing as well but only when they are in the same room. My DH has a sister called Holly and it gets confusing if her and Oliver are in the same room if you call him Oli x

how would you feel if it was the other way around? I bet you wouldn't care :) I love annabelle and isobel! :) x also will they have the same surname? cause that makes a difference if they go to the same school x

Last edited:
My cousin is Rose and I really wAnted Rosie for my daughter. I think you need to talk to the mom see how she feels, or maybe Annabella?
I love Eliza it's close second for us xx

I have 2 cousins named Amanda, they don't live in the same city so they could care less. One goes by Amanda and the other by Mandi so it works out at family reunions and holidays

Thank you all, I'm going to talk to my sister and see how she'd feel about it. My top three are Annabelle, Eliza or Elle (could be nn for Eliza?) but again, Elle...Isobel...argh! :wacko:

We're going to be using Eliza with the nickname Ella which is an idea for u? Funny too as I love Annabella but not sure if it's too similar to DD name Isabelle xx

I have a young cousin who is Eleanor (Ellie) and if this baby is a girl we're calling her Elena (E-lay-na), Ella for short.
They're pronounced differently so she'll just have to have good hearing:haha:

But honestly I don't mind that they'll have similar names, it's the one we like so we're sticking with it:flower:

My son Joshua has 2 brothers called Jacob
My other Son is Daniel, OHs brother also has a Daniel so the cousins have the same name.
No big deal IMO ☺

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->