Cow and Gate / Aptamil

Lois22

Mum to Emilia
Reaction score
Cow and Gate and Aptamil cause my LO to have 4-6 really watery stools a day. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Can anyone recommend a better formula to try?

Thank you :)

Xx

I use Aptamil and ive never had a problem. The only other 2 are SMA or Hipp Organic x

We use Hipp Organic cartons. She does 2-3 poos a day. I wouldnt say that they are "watery" but they are very soft and can at times be "poo-splosions" that are very messy! xx

Rather than the brand of formula, there could be another simple explanation - e.g. cows milk intolerance. I'd suggest having a chat with your HV or GP about it - they might suggest trying a soy formula instead.

I have they don't seem to care as say she's happy and gaining weight.

Xx

Just recently, I have noticed that DD bm's are a yellow colour and watery.
She is fed on Aptamil, always has been.
She had 3 bm's yesterday.
She hasn't always been like this. She can go 3 days without one though, so I don't know if they all came along at once!

The pre biotics in Aptamil and Cow and Gate can cause these poo explosions. It is annoying but it stops them getting constipated so it is a good thing really. It stops once you introduce solids and their poo becomes firmer. I have heard SMA has a different blend of pre biotics that causes less explosive poo so maybe you could try that if it is really bothering you?

The pre biotics in Aptamil and Cow and Gate can cause these poo explosions. It is annoying but it stops them getting constipated so it is a good think really. It stops once you introduce solids and becomes firmer. I have heard SMA has a different blend of pre biotics that causes less explosive poo so maybe you could try that if it is really bothering you?

SMA contains no prebiotics at all. Aptamil, C&G and Hipp Organic all do though (Aptamil contains the most I think). xx

I've used SMA Gold since the start. He had constipation at first but once he got used to it it's been great. He only poops every other day but been told it's fine as his stools are always healthy, don't cause him pain and he is a brilliant weight.

The pre biotics in Aptamil and Cow and Gate can cause these poo explosions. It is annoying but it stops them getting constipated so it is a good think really. It stops once you introduce solids and becomes firmer. I have heard SMA has a different blend of pre biotics that causes less explosive poo so maybe you could try that if it is really bothering you?

SMA contains no prebiotics at all. Aptamil, C&G and Hipp Organic all do though (Aptamil contains the most I think). xx

It does contain prebiotics Hun it's on their website x :flower:

I've used SMA Gold since the start. He had constipation at first but once he got used to it it's been great. He only poops every other day but been told it's fine as his stools are always healthy, don't cause him pain and he is a brilliant weight.

That's good to know as I'm starting DS on sma as aptamil isn't agreeing at all x

Just checked the website. Cant find where it says it contains prebiotics. Can you post a link to the page? xxx

Just checked the website. Cant find where it says it contains prebiotics. Can you post a link to the page? xxx

The only place I can see the site mentions prebiotics is on the comparison table where it says that SMA along with all other formulas has a "prebiotic effect" but I stiil dont think it actually contains any prebiotics as its fibre content is NIL (prebiotics are fibres). xxx

We have stuck with c&g comfort it's still quite watery but only 1/2 times a day.

Xx

A friend of mine was telling me that her doctor told her to switch to sma when her LO was having bad wind and runny watery poo. Apparently SMA uses the best quality ingredients and the prebiotics in C&G and Aptamil can be too much for a baby to process as they're synthetic prebiotics. My son has been having mustard colour water from his bum and ridiculous wind issues so just switched to sma he seems a lot more settled x

We use Hipp Combiotic (cartons) and it contains prebiotics, but DD3's poo is never watery, but it is soft. All babies are different.

One of the reasons I love BnB and the formula feeding section is that it contains loads of advice and information on things that bodies like the WHO and NHS will not/cannot give out, ie helpful info on formula brands. So simple tips like switching to SMA if your lo has very loose poo or switching to Aptamil or Hipp if your lo is constipated are a life saver. xxx

My DD hada bout of viral gastroenteritis and I had to switch to lactose free milk for a short time due to secondary lactose intolerance that rights itself after the guts are rested. She was having explosive poos and lots of wind and tummy cramps so doctor advised to do this. Within a few days diarrhea stopped. We are only just into second week of lactose free. But will be reviewed in two weeks and try normal aptamil again. Might be worth seeing another doctor? My health visitor laughed at the idea but after 21 days of diarrhea and them telling me so long as she gained weight it was a laundry problem I had had enough of seeing her so uncomfortable. Hope you find a solution x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->