Cracked nipples while using shield.

sandilion

Reaction score
My baby girl is only 5 days old now, and my god my nipples are SO PAINFUL. This is my second time BF, but i can't seem to remember how on earth my nipples healed last time.

I am currently using a shield of which i will prob have to for another 3 weeks until she is a bit bigger since my nipples are annoyingly flattish :growlmad:

So they have cracked even while using a shield.

Will they just suddenly adapt and heal on their own? I am using nipple cream... unfortunately staying topless and airing them out isn't an option as i am seriously leaking like a running tap a lot of the time.

Any other tops to helping them heal? Its so so painful.

I hope this post makes sense, i am pretty sleep deprived :wacko:

Are you turning the shields almost inside out before placing them on your nipple so that almost a vacuum effect is created that draws your nipple right out in to the shield or are you just placing them as-is over the nipple?

It can be difficult to get nipple shields on right, and badly positioned ones can cause more damage than baby.

Some people swear by shields, but when my LO was small her mouth was so small the shields made her hang off the end of the nipple even more because they prevented her getting breast tissue in to her mouth.

I had that issue as well, I ended up using an antibiotic cream on the nipple for approximately 2 days after feeds and it healed up wonderfully. I haven't had an issue since!

Is it both nipples or just one? When that happened to me, it was only on one side. I just pumped that side and fed on the other until it healed. Good luck, I know it's so painful! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->