Cradle cap??

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
I think she has cradle cap :( her scalp, eyebrows, on her ear lobes, up the sides of her ears and behind her ears is gone all scaley :( I tried rubbing some of it off but it just seems to be making it worse. Any suggestions? How long does this usually last for?

my son had it. Not that bad. but they said the more you try to remove it the worse. Use baby oil to keep it moist. It will flake off by itself.

you need to scrub it off in the bath and moisturize lots... she likely just has dry skin though.

So, if this is cradle cap, which it sounds like it likely may be...
(is it yellowish? or just really dry?)
Heres the best way to get rid of it:
Olive Oil is said to be best, but if you dont have any, baby oil will work. about 15mins prior to bath time, rub her little head with the oil, and take a very soft baby brush, or toothbrush, and rub the skin.. lightly. it'll help loosen the dead skin. let it sit for a bit before you bath her, make sure you wash her head very well in the tub to get rid of the oil and skin, it may take a few baths, and a few oil scrubs, but it will clear up!!

Baby oil can actually make it much worse for some kids, it has alot of scent which dries skin even worse. Olive Oil is a much better choice, it's natural and pure. But if you put that on let it set about 20min then give them a bath and take a soft bristle baby brush and scrub lightly in circles all over their head. It will probably take a few times to get it all, you don't want to make it all come off if it isn't loose enough, it could hurt her and make her bleed. We also bought Paul Mitchell baby shampoo and it works great for it

I tried all the home remedies and it did nothing. My doctor gave me some hydrocortisone low dosage cream for her skin and some drops for her head and it is AMAZING. It is all gone and she looks beautiful.

Rocco had this quite bad i tried everything. My sil recommened aqueous (sp?) cream available from the chemist. It was gone within a few days.

We've been putting olve oil in the bath to help with dry skin since LO was born. And wash is hair with the water, it really helps. Also vasaline, used on the face does wonders.

Olive Oil is said to be best, but if you dont have any, baby oil will work. about 15mins prior to bath time, rub her little head with the oil, and take a very soft baby brush, or toothbrush, and rub the skin.. lightly. it'll help loosen the dead skin. let it sit for a bit before you bath her, make sure you wash her head very well in the tub to get rid of the oil and skin, it may take a few baths, and a few oil scrubs, but it will clear up!!

Yeah its really thick and yellowish. We have olive oil, I'll do it before I give her a bath tonight!

I used olive oil on Rihanna, put it on about an hour before bath times, then gentley rubbed it while in the bath, took a few sessions but is sorted now
x

Rocco had this quite bad i tried everything. My sil recommened aqueous (sp?) cream available from the chemist. It was gone within a few days.

we have been given this too by our docs but how the hell do you apply cream to a head with hair on? :blush:
xx

Tristan had cradle cap as well. I used special shampoo for it. After a few weeks it has nearly cleared up completely - just a little dry in parts now.

xxx

Yeah its really thick and yellowish. We have olive oil, I'll do it before I give her a bath tonight!

Awesome!!! goodluck!!! like i said it might take a few sessions, but it should get better, if it doesnt within a few sessions see your doctor, they can give yuo some medicated stuff!!! xo

Hunter also had cradle cap, its pretty common. We didn't put anything on his head for it, only used a cradle cap brush made by The Frist Years, which massage his scalp during bathtime. Our Pediatrician said there isn't a reason to put anything on their heads because it will clear up on its own eventually (unless its really bad to where it makes the baby cry, then medicated cream can be applied). Hunter's lasts for about 6 months, but each month it went away some. It didn't bother us, so we let it go away on its own and it did.

Gabbi had it exactly the same honey, we went through the same. All over here brows, her scalp, her ears (actually looked like eczema on her ears).

This is what I did. I massaged Olive oil into it, but I also found, that if I gave her a bath, Oilatum helped so much. I also didn't bath her much and I still don't, she has a bath 3 times a week, but I give her a wash the rest of the time and massage oil into her skin. I also, on her scalp only, got a very soft toothbrush and gentle massage the dry skin areas and it does help to loosen it, but I didn't do it whilst the scalp is very damp.

I would say, from it's worst, it took approx. 2 weeks to clear up.

I got looks off a few people, after they smile at me and say Normal, I say YES!!!!

I personally wouldn't use baby oil.

I use an emolient cream on her face and scalp now it has all cleared up and it does keep her skin a little more moist.

This is what Gabbi's looked like on her brows, but I don't have any pics when it was on her ears.

https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/Charliechech/th_PB200004.jpg

https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/Charliechech/th_PB200008.jpg

jack had this on his forehead & round his eyebrows i mentioned it to my friend & she suggested that 15 mins before he has a bath put some baby oil on the cradle cap then just before i put him inb the bath using a baby brush that you use to brush there hair brush over the cradle cap which i did i did this last night & it worked & i got rid of 90% of it , i will do this again when he has his next bath just to get rid of the tiny bit thats there . xx

we have been given this too by our docs but how the hell do you apply cream to a head with hair on? :blush:
xx
With great difficulty lol. Rocco ends up like a big grease monkey so only use it when he's due a bath and it works wonders

dentinox cradle cap shampoo has got rid of elliots cradle cap-only tried it as it was on offer at a pound but it worked!!

Vaseline works good if it spreads to the body. I should add that Helena's got so bad that she wouldn't sleep at night though, due to the itch and she would claw her head no matter how short her nails were, so thats why I went with the medicated stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->