crusty eye

bibswy

MUMMY OF 2!
Reaction score
my baby is getting a crusty eye. What can I do?? Its not really bad, i just don't want it to develop into an infection. She's had a cold for the last 2 weeks too :cry:

any tips? xx

May has this and has since she was born. If its not red or swolen its probably a blocked tear duct. There is nothing you can do other than wipe it with cool boiled water on cotton wool. They can take months to clear

May has this and has since she was born. If its not red or swolen its probably a blocked tear duct. There is nothing you can do other than wipe it with cool boiled water on cotton wool. They can take months to clear

I was advised by a doctore to do this and it did help

aswell as advice mentioned above, my mw told me to squirt a bit of breastmilk in to the eye aswell! :blush:

Yep, it's really common and is caused by a virus in the tear ducts. As the others have said just clean with cooled boiled water. Byron's had it forever so I mentioned it to the doctor at his 8 week check, he didn't recommend doing anything else.

but clear away from the eye so start from near the nose to the outer eye hope that makes sense

katie had one, the MW said use cooled boiled water with a bit of salt in and put a couple of drops of boobie milk in her eye. cleared up a couple of days later!

Breastmilk? I wonder how that works... Maybe the antibodies work outside the body. Interesting!

yea its the antibodies, you can also drink it to cure a sore throat, put it up LO's nose when its blocked and it clears it out, there's loads you can use it for!!

yea its the antibodies, you can also drink it to cure a sore throat, put it up LO's nose when its blocked and it clears it out, there's loads you can use it for!!

up the nose! :rofl:

haha the wonders of breastmilk :rofl:

my leyley has this too, ive been wiping it a few times a day with cooled boiled water and a piece of cotton wool, did the breastmilk on cotton wool trick aswell lol, my OH was pissing himself wondering what the hell i was doing, one boob out squeezing onto a cotton wool lmao...

x

If your baby's eye is pink then it could be an infection, so go to the docs for some drops if you can... Seth has cream at about 7 weeks and cleared up really quickly.

Seth still has nasty blocked tear ducts in both eyes although I think in most babies they do usually sort themselves out by 6 months or so Ive been told. The eye itself stays the normal colour, just the discharge and red eyelids he gets with that.

Cooled boiled water works best, breastmilk just made Seths worse, not sure why. But definately worth a try if you havent already.

Also if your LO has a runny nose make sure they aren't rubbing it in their eyes as this can cause conjunctivitis. Easier said than done I know, Im having the same battle with Seth at the moment.

xxx

my DS has sore sticky eyes when he was born and had to get drops to help clear it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->