crying it how- how did u do it?

cupcake

Mommy of a gorgeous boy!
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to parent the way they chose and i therefore ask that this thread not become a debate about letting a baby cry it out or not. ( if thats ok with the mods) I would just like to hear from moms who did let their babies cry it out how they did it. In particular to get the baby to just go back to sleep in the crib, and not in order to make him sleep all night long.

Thanks

I tried to let my son cry it out, he got better after a week of doing so. Normally with CIO, you put the baby in the crib (assuming s/he) is tired, and let them cry it out for about 5 minutes, and then you go back in, pat their back (do NOT pick them up!!) and try and soothe them...and then leave after 30 seconds. Go back in 10 minutes later (assuming the baby is still crying), pat their back and soothe them, and leave after 30 seconds. Wait 15 minutes and go back in. You just add 5 minutes time between each visit. With my son, however, we couldn't go in and soothe him...it just made him more upset. Unfortunately, right after we started CIO, my mom called me and told me to turn on the Today show, and there was someone on there talking about how the CIO method leads to brain damage. I dont know if I believe it or not, but it made me not want to CIO anymore. I think its very effective!

I tried to let my son cry it out, he got better after a week of doing so. Normally with CIO, you put the baby in the crib (assuming s/he) is tired, and let them cry it out for about 5 minutes, and then you go back in, pat their back (do NOT pick them up!!) and try and soothe them...and then leave after 30 seconds. Go back in 10 minutes later (assuming the baby is still crying), pat their back and soothe them, and leave after 30 seconds. Wait 15 minutes and go back in. You just add 5 minutes time between each visit. With my son, however, we couldn't go in and soothe him...it just made him more upset. Unfortunately, right after we started CIO, my mom called me and told me to turn on the Today show, and there was someone on there talking about how the CIO method leads to brain damage. I dont know if I believe it or not, but it made me not want to CIO anymore. I think its very effective!

My son also just gets more upset if you go and pat him, so what can u do then?
You want him to know you are there...

I did it but i didn't start til after 6 months, don't ask me why then, i just felt they were old enough to understand abit better, it worked for my son and sometimes it works with my daughter (but i have only been doin it a couple of weeks)

I will carry on because of the results with my son, he goes to bed no trouble x

I tried, I couldn't do it. :dohh:

Dont worry toria, its so hard...
but you know i made him cry it out in the car seat and now he sits in it
i let him cry it out in the stroller and now he will sit in it,
so for him i guess it works for him..

Yeah, I didnt do it until my son was 8 months old.

If you can't go in and pat him, you just have to leave him in there and let him cry. After a couple of times crying it out, it will get easier. The point of crying it out is teaching babies to self soothe, and if he thinks your in the room, it probably wont work as quickly. Good Luck!

I needed to do it with Dec when he was about 71/2-8 months and it worked great, I put him to bed and left the room (only outside the door) I let him cry for 5 mins then went in to settle him, something like okay baby mummy's here. Then left again, let him cry another 5 mins then went in again this time no talking and I would try and avoid eye contact to, gave him he dummy and rubbed his back for a while then I would leave again. I would continue doing this for as long as it took and believe me the first night it took for ever, but within 3 nights it was only taking 1/2 an hour to settle him and by week 2 he was going to bed and talking himself to sleep.!!! Great

But I will admit there have been times when he has been left to really CIO and it has done him not an ounce of harm, he has never been left more than 15 mins which is what a doctor would advise. Now if he wakes during the night and cries for his dummy I just go give him it and he will occupy himself until he goes back to sleep and mummy has a good night sleep!!! lol

Everyone is entitled to parent the way they chose and i therefore ask that this thread not become a debate about letting a baby cry it out or not. ( if thats ok with the mods) I would just like to hear from moms who did let their babies cry it out how they did it. In particular to get the baby to just go back to sleep in the crib, and not in order to make him sleep all night long.

Thanks
Perfectly ok

:D

i am of no help advise wise but just wanted to add that I am trying to get Teddy used to sleeping on his own and tonight was the first time I left him to cry. Was only for 2 minutes and I couldnt handle any more...maybe he's too young (2 months 2 weeks) but he just seemed more awake and adamant to not sleep than when we'd left him...OH is now up there rocking him (OK; we failed, we picked him up...but he is still little)...
I fear we're too soft for CIO....

I let both my children cry it out from a young age. The way i did it was when i knew they were tierd or just wouldnt settle/irritable with me id put them down. They would cry for awhile and then nod off.
And now when carly goes to sleep (3) she puts her head down and thats it she is off and same with ella (5 months) sometimes with a 5-7 min cry but only because she is irrtiable.

Im glad i done this as i have never had a problem with getting my children to sleep :D

I've really thought about doing this with Colton.
I tried before when he was abit younger, but just couldn't do it. He isnt able to be patted either. He just more upset when he sees me. Even if he is fine and I just go over to turn his mobile back on then he will see me and want me to pick him up (even though he wasnt crying before).
I think I am going to wait until we are moved out (2-3 more months probably) though. That way he will have his own room and I wont be in there with him for the 'waiting' periods.

Edit:
Oh yeah, with Colton he has to be held or laying in our bed to go to sleep. Usually I held him. But then I just started laying him in our bed (we used to cosleep) and he will play for up to 15 minutes and then doze off himself. So I think he is just rotten and doesn't want to go to bed in his own bed by himself (which I feel bad for), but he really needs to learn this and I dont want him to get too old and then force him to learn it himself. I want to will he is still flexible.

We do this but Ive been doubting myself about it the past few days after a few posts on here. Im not sure if he's old enough.

We feed him, change him, give him a cuddle and a story and put him in his cot, awake and happy. If he starts to cry we go in, settle him down, put him down. If he continues to cry, leave him 5 mins, go back, settle him again, leave him 10 mins and so on adding 5 mins each time until he falls asleep. It usually gets about halfway through the 10 minute bit until he falls asleep. We don't have a set bedtime for him though, we only put him down when he us actually tired because I think it;s a bit unfair to leave him crying him,self to sleep if he's not ready.

xxx

I've only done this once, he was whimpering nonstop unless I put him on my boob then he would fall asleep, as soon as I pulled him away he would wake up & start whimpering again!
So I put him in his swing, turned it on and let him whimper for about 3 minutes then he fell asleep. I think he was just very very very tired & a little crabby!

I have considered CIO as some days I am truly exhausted and just wish he would sleep a little longer instead of having powernaps.I'm just too soft for it and i know I would not be able to follow through.

I have been trying this for a week now with Joseph, i couldn't co-sleep with him anymore as he's a very noisy baby and he shuffles around alot keeping me & OH awake nearly all night, not to mention it got very hot as well with 3 ppl in the same bed
The first day was very hard for me & i kept going in every 5 minutes to check on him, he was crying so bad i couldn't go through with it, however I've stuck with it & now he will only cry for about 3-5 mins & he's conked out! I feed & rock him till he's drowsy then I'll put him down. He sleeps through the night which he never did before in our bed. :)

jack crys it out in his carseat everyday. he hates going in there. ialways feed and change him before we go out and then he crys himself to sleep in the car. im lucky jack is really good at night now and will have a feed and then go to bed. x

ive started to let callum cry it out and after about 5 mins he's asleep. the first few times i felt awful but its the only way he will go to sleep in his cot now!!

I do it...at first i found it very difficult...every mum knows their baby and knows the difference between a normal wingy cry and a distressed cry...when i found his crying was changing i would pick him up or stroke his back for reasurrance which always works, but as he got older and older i began to time it by the clock and i just knew when it was getting too much. And hand on heart it is the best thing that i have ever done...now he is so used to sleeping on his own that he won't sleep any other way...i still get the wingy cry but it only lasts a few mins...and when he starts screaming i just rub his back and i ends up falling asleep...im always in the same room to make sure he is ok as he is a sicky baby xxx

i just wanna say thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread, i honestly felt like this terrible mother for wanting to use this method. i mean its not wanting to use the method, just nothing else works for us. I keep saying i dont know what to do to get him to sleep in the crib, but the truth is i do know what to do, and this is it: let him cry it out. Which way ill do it i dont know yet but nothing else is gonna work. Hopefully we can support each other through this thread.
I know ill need the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->