• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crying toddler asked to leave doctors waiting room for being loud.

lhancock90

2 toddlers, 1 MMC, WTT#3
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-waiting-room-sick-toddler-crying-loudly.html

:nope:

What the hell? Is it a doctors surgery or a library for goodness sake?! :dohh:

Absolutely disgusting!

I've been in the waiting room with a very unwell and upset child and nothing was said. I've also been waiting while other parents have very upset children but it's just one of those things. A 16 month old won't understand why they're in pain so why should they be expected to just sit quietly.

Awful :nope:

Absolutely shocking! Some people just have no idea when it comes to children.

I was so annoyed reading it so i had to share.

That's shocking :wacko:
I had to take Lucas the walk-in last year when he fell flat on his nose and we weren't sure if he'd broken it. We were walking past as it happened so I popped in and asked if we should stay or go the hospital, they told us they could see him.
We had to wait two hours with his face like a balloon, which happens at the walk-in, but the tuts I got from other patients because he was crying was ridiculous! Obviously, he was in a lot of pain, I'd liked to have seen them stay quiet in the situation, but a lot of them sat there shaking their heads and muttering like it could be helped that he was making noise. Luckily the staff were a little more sympathetic and didn't say anything. I do bloody hate people sometimes though :nope:

Hmmmm......I'm not too sure how close to the truth this lady has been to be honest. This is my doctor's and I am there all the time since having the little ones. I was there yesterday and the day before with both lo's in tow. Both mine have made noise, cried and I have seen loads of people with babies and children crying etc but never has anyone been asked to be quiet or leave the biulding.

They always seem very child friendly with toys and books in all the waiting rooms. I do wonder if she was letting her little one run riot and perhaps not doing anything to control her. I don't know, I just find a little hard to believe as its a lovely surgery.

It also says this in the article -

As they stood outside in rush-hour traffic at 5.30pm, Miss Galliott decided she was too embarrassed to go back in and cancelled her appointment.

The surgery is no where near a road let alone rush hour traffic. Its down a small back street where there are very rarely any cars, usually only taxi's dropping patients off.

In all honesty that bit was probably added by the paper rather than the mother but it's still not acceptable to ask someone with an unwell child to leave the waiting room. A witness has also expressed their distaste at this so I'm inclined to think that, whatever the reason, the member of staff was completely out of line.

I agree that a crying toddler is a pretty normal thing but they do have to consider the needs of other patients. Perhaps there were other patients there with a migraine or earache? I can't stand my own children crying when I have a migraine (and the one time I had earache as an adult, I pretty much hid in my bed for a few days!) so somebody else's child would be unbearable. If it was one adult with earache and one screeching child, maybe the adult could get up and wait outside but if there were a couple of adults who needed quiet, I don't see why a toddler's need to scream would take priority over everybody else's pain.

I would expect a receptionist to ask if the mother could control a boisterous child, but if they were screaming in pain they should suggest an alternative place to wait, perhaps an unused office or HV room. I wouldn't expect to be told to go outside, but going on what the PP said, it doesn't sound like the mother has been exactly truthful so that may well have happened!

The mother is quoted as saying, "'It's virtually impossible to tell a 16-month-old to sit down and be quiet". Hmm not sure I agree with that.

My son is 20 months old and wouldn't understand if I told him to sit down and be quiet.

I just really struggle to believe this is true. They are so helpful, they have let me use an actual doctors room just to change lo's nappy on a number of occasions as there are has been a queue for the loo.
I know its hard to control a young child but she may not have made any attempt at all.

Also, the 'witness' is actually her friend! I have mutual friends with the lady in the article and one of my colleagues has just told me they know each other :)

I thought that the article wasn't the full story as the quote at the end suggested that the child was running round. I totally understand if a child is crying and/or upset but there is always a limit eg child running around boistorously should b stopped especially in a docs surgery.

All sounds a bit gossipy to me :haha:

Everyone knows everyone in Winchester, its one of those places......ha ha! But when I wrote out my first post I had no idea who she was or that people at work knew her. I had just read the article x

All sounds a bit gossipy to me :haha:

Everyone knows everyone in Winchester, its one of those places......ha ha! But when I wrote out my first post I had no idea who she was or that people at work knew her. I had just read the article x

Ah okay fair enough, although the report says the receptionist apoligised? I thought maybe they just got one of those mini-dictator receptionists :haha:

I am not surprised :( when my son was 5 months old he was hospitalised with a nasty head injury and had a concussion (I fell whilst wearing him). I was told to take him off the ward into the parents room where 'children weren't allowed' because he was crying so much. Of course he was crying, he had a sore head, was in a strange place and the nurses were trying to stop me from co-sleeping. It was an awful time. I was still suffering badly with PND and looking back I should have stuck up for him more. I did however tell them to sod off and continued to co-sleep on the fold out bed they gave me (they were the only hospital who have ever had a problem with me co-sleeping the other hospitals we've stayed at always give me a bed on the children's/burns and plastics ward).

It is hard to see where you draw the line with this as the child was boisterous. I still feel for the parents though I remember how humiliating it was to be told to leave :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->