Curious about ovulation and cycles..

E

Eightiesbirdx

Well the whole thing has got me very curious indeed so i thought id enquire advice about it.

Im hoping to stop taking my contraception next year to track my ovulation and cycles and wonder if theres any specific way to go about it?, the only reason i'd like to do this because i want to make sure im normal and to prepare for the future and get to know my body a little better so i know what months/weeks to be careful in or in what months im safe..If that makes sense? i really do suck at explaining things?:dohh:

Thanks ladies =] xx

I'd start by counting your cycle length! Seeing if it is regularly within 1 or 2 days of the same length is a good way of telling how 'normal' everything is as you say! Then try to work out if you notice a pattern with your cervical mucous and whether you can tell iif it becomes like eggwhite in the middle of the month, again a good sign for normality. When it comes closer to wanting to try you can chart your temperature or use OPKs to see exactly when you ovulate, but there is no need to do this so early on! Hope this helps!

I can tell you about my cycle and see if that helps.

My normal cycle is 28 days. You count the first day of your cycle as the first day of your period.

I ovulate*im gessing* on CD15 as this is when my boobs feel squashier and start to get bigger.

I use mymonthlycycles.com. You can track your cycles and any simptoms you might have.

Hey! I started tracking my cycle and doing my charting my basal body temperature 3 months before I got pregnant (last year). I found the website fertilityfriend.com to be very helpful. You can chart your temp, record symptoms, etc and it will predict ovulation based on this for you. I have 26 day cycles, not 28 which is the norm. When I went to my doc when I was pregnant he automatically based my due date on a 28 day cycle as most due. however my first ultrasound was showing I was due 2 days earlier which would match my 26 day cycle! I was pretty amazed at how close it was! She was actually born one day before the ultrasound date!

Thanks ladies, i was wondering how do you calculate your cycles and how do you count them? all of this is dreadfully confusing for a noob like me lol..Sorry to be a pain and thank you =] x

Cycle day 1 is the first day of your menstrual cycles. You then keep counting until you start you period again. The number of days in between is your cycle length. The average cycle is 28 days long. The average person also ovulates on day 14 of a 28 day cycle, but that isn't set in stone and can very. Some people also have irregular cycles varying in lengh which can make it difficult to predict ovulation. This is when noting other signs (body temp, cervical mucus, etc) can help!

If you're really interested in the topic and want to use it for contraception as well, I'd suggest you read Toni Weschler's "Taking Charge of your Fertility". It explains in clear, plain words what's going on and has all the information you could possibly want, plus some charts for noting down your basal temperature and other fertility signs. It's about 17 pounds I think but your local library is bound to have a copy as well.

The calendar method is fine for just "getting to know your body" but should never never never be used for contraception, unless you wouldn't mind an "accident". If you want to know which days of the month are safe for unprotected sex, you need to chart you temperatures and cervical mucus or position. It's much easier than it sounds though and all you need is a thermometre with 2 decimal points, which shouldn't cost more than a fiver.

hi, i came off bcp a while ago now (8 months i think) and have been tracking my cycle since. I just mark when im on my period and when i 'think' i ovulate. Im pretty sure my cycle has settled at 28days (although i have had 1 longer and 2 shorter!) and i 'think' i ovulate between days 12 and day 14! the last couple of months i have been noticing the changes in my cm, its really interesting seeing how your body changes over the month!! Good luck - once you get in to the swing of it you will be fine xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->