Curious....Is same sex marriage legal in the UK?

britt1986

Reaction score
The reason I ask is because certain states here in the U.S. have already legalized it. Which is amazing! Arkansas, the state I am in, has yet to legalize it. I am in an area in which they call the "bible belt" and so the hard core Christians are doing everything in their power to keep it away. I believe it will happen really soon. I believe everyone has the right to marry who they want, rather you be gay, lesbian, straight, or transgender.

Yep, we had civil partnerships but they weren't the same and didn't have the same legal standing. But marriage came in this year :)

Does anyone know if it is completely equal, so will religious institutions have to conduct ceremonies to conform with the Equality Act even if it goes against their own beliefs? Specifically CofE but wondering about Catholic ministers etc? (Although I know they would need a registrar present anyway if not state church).

No MarineWag religious institutions absolutely do not have to. As far as I know they actually can't at the moment. Which I don't agree with, I think it should be the choice of the religious institution itself, on a church by church basis too not as a higher up thing, i.e. it's up to a priest and not the pope, and the same with other religions.

Thanks Emy, so not even in a parish church? I wonder how that works with the Equality Act because surely if marriage is legal for all it could be seen as discrimination, I understand it's complicated though.

Thanks Emy, so not even in a parish church? I wonder how that works with the Equality Act because surely if marriage is legal for all it could be seen as discrimination, I understand it's complicated though.

I don't think so, but I may be totally wrong!

I think with religion it's difficult... You can't tell someone what to believe I guess.

On the other hand, I'm so happy gay marriage came in this year, it's about time the world grew up and stopped with discrimination :D I have gay friends that were celebrating to say the least. x

My sister and her wife had to drive to another state to get married. I don't understand why it bothers some people. It doesn't affect anyone but the two people in the partnership. Their love isn't hurting anybody..so why the uproar?

https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/jess_shortcake/imagejpg2.jpg

https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/jess_shortcake/imagejpg1-60.jpg

I live in Texas, and my wife and I had to drive to New Mexico to get married. Luckily, we are both military and thankfully legal same-sex marriages are acknowledged to some extent federally. My name is her last name everywhere except my driver's license, because Texas does not recognize it. I also will not be able to second-parent adopt our baby once we have it, which sucks. We can only hope in time, that the rest of the states catch up to 2013. It's a little ridiculous that it's taken this long.

I'm so glad it is finally legal here in uk and I can't wait till I can exchange my civil partnership certificate for a marriage certificate. The religious aspect is a difficult issue. I would have loved to be married in a church but equally I wouldn't like to be married by someone who is only doing because they were forced. Legally a marriage is the same whether performed in a church or registry office so I think churches should be allowed to refuse to marry a same sex couple but that it should be tge decision of individual ministers not a blanket ban enforced by the government.

It's been legal here in Canada for several years, and it really truly didn't cause fire and brimstone to rain from the sky! :shock: Pretty sure that all that happened was that a lot of really lovely people got to realize their dream/(what should always have been their RIGHT) to have a legally recognized marriage with their partner.
(sarcastic tone aimed at those baffling people out there who are making this into a big deal - this hasn't made any sense to me since I was a teen and I am in my late thirties now....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->