Curried Sweet Potato Soup, Yummy on cool days, freezes well, too!

Discussion in 'Cooking & Baking' started by Momma2Violet, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Momma2Violet

Momma2Violet Well-Known Member

Since we're expecting our first baby in the winter, I thought that I'd cook a bit now, and put it by in the freezer for when she arrives--I won't have to get out in the cold and blustery weather to go grocering that much :rain:..

Anyway, been running my own "test kitchen" on my husband, and this is our FAVORITE soup by far, and makes great use of this seasons veges!! It freezes well (without the garnish) for busy families.

4 cups Vegetable Broth (homemade or store)
    2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
    1 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk

Garnish:
    Plain nonfat yogurt
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Bring broth to boil in large saucepan. Add sweet potatoes and curry powder; cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sweet potatoes to processor. Puree until smooth. Add 1 cup broth; process until well blended. Return mixture to saucepan with broth. Add milk; bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (Can even be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Rewarm over medium heat.) Ladle soup into bowls. Top with dollop of yogurt. Sprinkle with chives.

2. Neecee

Neecee Guest

This sounds good!

3. earthmother05

earthmother05 Active Member

this sounds yummy!

4. thingy

thingy TTC after m/c

that sounds gorgeous i'm going to try that this week!!

5. Momma2Violet

Momma2Violet Well-Known Member

Let me know how it goes, if you give it a shot. We've eaten it probably 2 times since I last made it!!! The weather has been chilly and rainy here...

I've been working on some others, if you're interested. There's a great southwestern pumpkin soup that is super easy as well--chicken broth, cumin, nutmeg and chili powder, a can or fresh pumpkin puree.

I'll post that one as well if anyone might be interested :)

6. bambikate

bambikate Mummy of 2 gorgeous girls

mmm fab idea, im doing some freezable meals this week for exactly the same reason! lol x x