Curry..

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
so last night OH made a curry, we thought well its only a mild one surely malakai can have it. His portion was very mild, almost no spice at all, his was more the taste and it was more tomato-ey
he was eating it fine for the first half then he started doing his fake cry thing, i assumed he was tired, he was still opening his mouth for more, but also doing his little winge too. then my OH said maybe its the curry, so i stopped giving him it and he had desert, he was fine after that, crying as he was sleepy but thats all.
so ive come to work today and telling my boss the 'funny' story, i work with a asian guy too, he said i shouldnt have given him it, hes far too young, and usually have to wait until they are 3.

Is this true? did i do wrong even though it was the mildest curry in the history of mild curries?

i was once told indian mothers usually put spice in their new borns mouth almost right away, maybe that isnt true either?

i think i can now collect my 'bad mummy award'

Nursery serves curry from time to time, even in the baby room. My dd loves it! She started nursery when she was 11 months old.

Our local shop does a children's chicken curry with rice and I've never seen her eat so enthusiastically!

Don't feel like a bad mum over it. The other night we ordered chinese and Erin was sharing my prawn crackers and dipping them in my sweet and sour sauce!

I don't think its a problem. My nearly 9 month old has had curry. Its wasnt very spicy at all but still she seemed quite happy with it. She has also had some other Indian foods that were quite mild but flavour full. She regularly chows down on a bit of onion if she finds some in her salad. My nan keeps reminding me to make sure I let her have Indian food so she can get used to the flavours, I sheltered my DS from it and he likes his food rather bland. Never heard about waiting till 3 years old to indroduce curry though.
Maybe he thought it was a curry like my nan makes, a lot of oil, salt etc. Whereas the ones my OH and I make have no salt and very little oil.

Oh bollocks. My DD is obsessed wit chilli. She has chilli sauce on her scrambled eggs, jalapeño mayo with fishcakes etc. She has been like that from 7 months old. It won't do any harm.

We've always made curry, since my daughter was 6 months. Honestly, she doesn't always like it, mostly because we tend to make it with lentils or chickpeas, which she's not always a huge fan of. But spices are perfectly fine for older babies (maybe not under 6 months), though I'd avoid using any chili for now unless you know he likes it. But things like cumin, coriander, cinnamon, etc. are great for introducing a taste and we've never avoided them. My daughter actually asks for ground pepper on her food! Obviously, you might want to make your own curry paste/sauce because the store-bought kind usually does have some sort of chili added to it, so it's harder to avoid. But even if you're worried it's too spicy, you can dilute it with a bit of natural yogurt before serving which should tame it down a bit. And no, I don't think it's true that Asian kids aren't given curry until they're 3. Maybe in a particular culture (remember, Asia is a big place), but my husband and I used to live in India and I never saw a small child there not eating what everyone else eats.

yeah i was thinking maybe he thought it was a spicy curry, it wasnt spicy at all, just had a curry flavour to it, his nappy was NOT pleasant the next day though!!

maybe ill try again in a few weeks, see what hes like then. it maybe that he was sleepy!

yeah i was thinking maybe he thought it was a spicy curry, it wasnt spicy at all, just had a curry flavour to it, his nappy was NOT pleasant the next day though!!

maybe ill try again in a few weeks, see what hes like then. it maybe that he was sleepy!

Just a silly bit I thought when reading this, perhaps that is where the tradition of waiting until 3 came from, so they will be potty trained :haha:

Just a silly bit I thought when reading this, perhaps that is where the tradition of waiting until 3 came from, so they will be potty trained :haha:

HAHA you never know!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"