D&C what to expect?

Tonks

Reaction score
I have been trying to avoid a D&C but I am not sure I can handle waiting much longer. Still haven't made me decision but would like to know what to expect.

Is it painful afterwards, will I bleed, are there possible risks or complications for future pregnancies, recovery time, and anything else I should know.

Thank you to anyone who can help on this.

Hi, I had a D&C last Tuesday and I can honestly say that I was terrified beforehand but in the end it was absolutely fine and def. the best option. Im pretty scared of hospitals and theatres as it is but all I remember is them starting the general anaesthetic and the next thing waking up. I wasnt in pain, just some cramping like period pains and some bleeding but not heavier than a period. In a way Im glad that I had it so that if I ever need to again I will never get myself in such a panic over it, it was fine and quick. Good luck xx

Sorry for your loss xx
I had a D&C in january after m/c in december as my body retained the pregnancy sac. I was dreading it tbh but it was ok. When I woke up in recovery area afterwards I cried, probably due to relief that it was over.
I bled while in the hospital and for few days afterwards but not heavy. Woke up after the op in some pain like period pain but that had gone by the time I left the hospital. They supplied me with painkillers think I took 1 or 2 of the pack.
Had an empty feeling afterwards, but relived that my body wasn't in limbo anymore.

Let us know how things go, be thinking of you xx

I'm so sorry for your loss. You are likely to bleed afterwards yes, I was bleeding quite heavy and had terrible cramps which meant I had to have an injection which i think was morphine, however I was in a bit of a state, I was far along though and it varys from person to person. I was able to walk around fine after about an hour though so recovery time is quick. Best I was honest, just remember you'll be in good hands x

Thank you all for your feedback. I have an apt with my GP tomorrow to discuss the procedure and possibly move forward with it. Did any of you do testing afterwards to see what caused the missed mc. I have read that with D&C they are able to do testing.

Im not sure if your in the UK?
I asked if the tissue is tested and they said not after a second miscarriage but after any more they would tests. Im now referred to the recurrent miscarriage clinic and was told that they would be the people that would instruct the tissue to be tested should it happen again. We also had to ask what happens to the tissue anyway and they just said that its disposed of sensitively and should they find an intact feotus they contact you. Its just quite sad to think about how it all just goes to the pathologist and then the incinerator.
I am 7 days past my D&C and still have some spotting that comes and goes but I was up and walking around straight afterwards. You will be fine. x

I had one done on Friday. I was terrified before hand, but then they gave me the anesthesia and the next thing I remember I woke up covered by warm blankets and in a comfy hospital bed. The nurse gave me some apple juice since I was so thirsty from not having anything to eat or drink since the day before, then when I wasn't too dizzy to stand they let me go home. It didn't hurt at all, and there had been very little blood, it was like a light period up until last night. I did bleed a lot last night and it hurt (they prescribed me Vicadin so I just took that) and I was passing really big blood clots. Called the doctor though and they said its nothing to worry about, just shedding uterine lining. That was the worst of it though, and for the most part I've felt no pain. I'm glad I got it done, it made me feel so relieved just knowing that I wasn't carrying a dead child anymore. That was the worst, I think. Having my baby inside me and knowing it wasn't alive. It was making me really depressed, so it was such a weight that was lifted from me when I got the procedure done. It made me feel like I could breathe again.

Im not sure if your in the UK?
I asked if the tissue is tested and they said not after a second miscarriage but after any more they would tests. Im now referred to the recurrent miscarriage clinic and was told that they would be the people that would instruct the tissue to be tested should it happen again. We also had to ask what happens to the tissue anyway and they just said that its disposed of sensitively and should they find an intact feotus they contact you. Its just quite sad to think about how it all just goes to the pathologist and then the incinerator.
I am 7 days past my D&C and still have some spotting that comes and goes but I was up and walking around straight afterwards. You will be fine. x
Why wouldn't they test the tissue for you? My miscarriage was my first pregnancy, and when I asked the doctor said they could do that for me, and he did get a tissue sample. I'm just waiting on the results right now. You're the patient, you're the one paying them to do this for you, I don't see why they can't take a sample for testing. What kind of doctor refuses to do that? I'm so sorry hun :hugs:

MissyBee, is your insurance covering the testing or do you have to pay out of pocket, if out of pocket is it expensive? I would really like to know what caused the mc.

MissyBee, is your insurance covering the testing or do you have to pay out of pocket, if out of pocket is it expensive? I would really like to know what caused the mc.
My insurance is covering it. I met my deductible already, and then after that they pay 80% of everything until I've paid $2,500 out of pocket (which I believe I've already met as well) and then they cover everything for the rest of the year. So they will be covering the testing entirely.

I want to know too, that's why I asked them to do it. It just doesn't make sense to me, they said that because I lost my baby at 13 weeks it was probably a chromosomal defect... but I'm only 20, and they also said the chances of someone my age having a baby with a chromosome problem is less than 1 in 1200. So I just want an answer. I also asked them if they can tell me whether my baby was a boy or a girl, and the doctor said they should be able to tell me as long as the sample they took is able to be cultured.

I had my d&c without general anesthesia, I just had sedation during the procedure, but was awake the whole time. I have to say it was nothing like what I was expecting. It was literally over before I thought they even started. Then entire thing took maybe 3 minutes. Then again, I was sedated, so maybe my sense of time was off, but it felt like nothing.

I had lots of bleeding and clots after. The most pain was when passing the clots.

I'm waiting for my test results on the tissue. This was my first documented mc and they said because I see a FS and am diagnosed as infertile that testing is covered. I have to say, reading your comments, I am glad to be canadian and live in a country where our medical is covered! I did not pay a cent for anything. I can't imagine going through a mc then having to worry about paying for it. That's terrible.

I had my d&c without general anesthesia, I just had sedation during the procedure, but was awake the whole time. I have to say it was nothing like what I was expecting. It was literally over before I thought they even started. Then entire thing took maybe 3 minutes. Then again, I was sedated, so maybe my sense of time was off, but it felt like nothing.

I had lots of bleeding and clots after. The most pain was when passing the clots.

I'm waiting for my test results on the tissue. This was my first documented mc and they said because I see a FS and am diagnosed as infertile that testing is covered. I have to say, reading your comments, I am glad to be canadian and live in a country where our medical is covered! I did not pay a cent for anything. I can't imagine going through a mc then having to worry about paying for it. That's terrible.

It is a stressful situation. My insurance covers some things but not all. For example they cover all "normal" pregnancy checkups and procedures. So all the tests and blood labs and injections and sonograms that I had throughout my pregnancy due to the the Threatened Miscarriage diagnosis are not covered because they are considered extra.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a D&C in January (@ 13.5 wks) and another one May 11th (@9 wks). I personally wouldn't have had it any other way. The procedure itself was painless and fast. It was more emotionally draining than anything else. Both my experiences were pretty much identical. I bled for a day or two but mostly when I wiped. I had some mild cramping with my first D&C in Jan but none with this one 3 wks ago.
I found out Dec 29th that my LO had T21 and heart failure (found this out through the NT Scan and confirmed thru CVS) and had to wait an entire week to have the procedure done. This time around it was found out at 9 wks my LO no longer had a heartbeat and there was no fetal movement. Had the D&C 2 days later. My dr sent the tissue away for testing and we got the results back last Thursday and it was confirmed he had T22 which is non viable; he wouldn't have made it past the 1st trimester. Both losses were chromosomal abnormalities. It has both my DH & I completely confused as we already have a healthy 4 yr old DS.
We've decided to get genetic testing done.
I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :hugs:

Thank you everyone. I am very sorry for the pain and loss that you all have gone through and I truly appreciate you sharing your experience so that I can make an informed decision.

i had an ERPC wen i was 14 weeks i still cant get it out of my mind, i had my baby cremated in march 2 help me but it hasn't helped. I feel angry numb, hurt upset i cry every single night b4 i go to bed its been 7months will i ever " over come" this hurt and pain? ive tryed talking but i start 2 cry and walk away, i need to no y my baby died? its killing me! i honestly cant take this anymore! plz help me!!!!!! :( [/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->