Dad posts video response to daughter's status on Facebook

I loved it!! I think he had every right to shoot it. I am sure he paid for it so to he it's his to do what he wishes. She had no right to post something so disrespectful like that about her parents on facebook. I have to say that if any of my children EVER posts something like that about me on their facebook I'd break their computer too and all that they owned that I paid for with my hard earned money would be gone. Their whole world would be turned upside down and I would show them what hard work is while I sit on my lazy ass (as a child would say) and bossed them around like a maid!!

I found this really really harsh! I was made to do a lot of stuff as I was growing up and it does put so much pressure on you. I think she probably did feel like she was just doing a lot of stuff as well as taking care of her younger brother (comes to something when you have to lock your door so your brother doesn't wake you up instead of your parents at stupid 0'clock, believe me I remember). My mum and step-dad put on me so much and I remember feeling like I was virtually running that household sometimes. I definitely believe in chores and my kids won't be getting out of them no chance but they still need a childhood and by putting on them so much and so often they are forced to grow up too quickly. I think she handled it badly but let's face it the people most likely to see this are her peers and it just seemed to me like her parents were trying to save face. Kids moan to their friends and slag their parents off because they're teenagers; it's natural and yes maybe she was pretty spoilt as her dad was clearly doing so much to help her out with her computer. I think he handled it all wrong though and to me he came across as bullish and way over-the-top about this. Yeah, she was warned but all she really did was complain about how much she feels she has to do aswell as her schoolwork. Most of it, like the bad language was just bravado to her friends no doubt. I think he totally over over-reacted really. I agree with a PP, he should have made her take her laptop into a charity shop or something, but even then I think it's too harsh. Take away her privileges for couple of months and ground her. I am strict and I will be strict, to an extent but I won't be harsh and having been in the situation where my parents just had me do everything, including looking after my little brother just made me resent them. I wouldn't want my kids growing up resenting me for something like that; hell they're gonna find a million reasons to all on their own.

I think people are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously. Stop reading into it.

I found this really really harsh! I was made to do a lot of stuff as I was growing up and it does put so much pressure on you. I think she probably did feel like she was just doing a lot of stuff as well as taking care of her younger brother (comes to something when you have to lock your door so your brother doesn't wake you up instead of your parents at stupid 0'clock, believe me I remember). My mum and step-dad put on me so much and I remember feeling like I was virtually running that household sometimes. I definitely believe in chores and my kids won't be getting out of them no chance but they still need a childhood and by putting on them so much and so often they are forced to grow up too quickly. I think she handled it badly but let's face it the people most likely to see this are her peers and it just seemed to me like her parents were trying to save face. Kids moan to their friends and slag their parents off because they're teenagers; it's natural and yes maybe she was pretty spoilt as her dad was clearly doing so much to help her out with her computer. I think he handled it all wrong though and to me he came across as bullish and way over-the-top about this. Yeah, she was warned but all she really did was complain about how much she feels she has to do aswell as her schoolwork. Most of it, like the bad language was just bravado to her friends no doubt. I think he totally over over-reacted really. I agree with a PP, he should have made her take her laptop into a charity shop or something, but even then I think it's too harsh. Take away her privileges for couple of months and ground her. I am strict and I will be strict, to an extent but I won't be harsh and having been in the situation where my parents just had me do everything, including looking after my little brother just made me resent them. I wouldn't want my kids growing up resenting me for something like that; hell they're gonna find a million reasons to all on their own.

Completely agree.

I showed this to my almost 13 year old daughter and she said that she feels like Hannah got off easy. She said that the dad had every right to do what he did and said that he should of smashed the computer after shooting it....lol

I think he had every right to punish her of course, but by the sounds of her post on FB I think she was justified. It's so hard as a teenager when your parents treat you like help and threaten you with grounding etc if you don't do something. My parents just didn't wanna do it themselves and maybe she feels like this too. It was funny, in that him shooting the comp was just so unexpected lol, I really never saw that coming and I'll bet she didn't. I just think it was a huge over-reaction :shrug:

Maybe it's a cultural difference :shrug: I thought she sounded so disrespectful.

Oh yeah, definitely she was disrespectful but he has shown her a lack of respect himself and I think it works both ways. Our kids learn from us and I'm a believer that kids don't just become spoilt and disrespectful, they're influenced by their parents attitudes and values. She has a lot of growing up to do, but at 15 I think it's to be expected.

Anyway, I don't want to take this too seriously because yeah it was funny to an extent and a pretty unconventional way of catching your kids out :haha:

It sounded to me like he was pretty good to her and she broke the respect.

It is funny though.

Oh yeah, definitely she was disrespectful but he has shown her a lack of respect himself and I think it works both ways. Our kids learn from us and I'm a believer that kids don't just become spoilt and disrespectful, they're influenced by their parents attitudes and values. She has a lot of growing up to do, but at 15 I think it's to be expected.

Anyway, I don't want to take this too seriously because yeah it was funny to an extent and a pretty unconventional way of catching your kids out :haha:

I think she did sound disrespectful BUT I wonder how long those feelings were bottled up inside. I also think it was disrespectful and embarassing for him to put her down like that and put it on her facebook.

Is kind of funny though. (other than the disrespect thing)

I liked it all, but guns scare me and I thought it was a bit creepy...like "this one is from your mom"...I guess it's an American thing...we aren't allowed to use guns here, or have guns..so it's a bit weird. LOL...the rest was good.

She had to sweep the floors and clean up after HERSELF, seriously she doesnt know she is born !!!!!

She sounds like a very selfish little lady and I wish I could shake that mans hand. I have a 14 year old and if he wrote anything about his family on his facebook I would consider doing the same, although I dont have a gun and cant afford to ruin a laptop :haha::haha: but I would if I could.

Brilliant. It sounds like she was a girl who got used to having everything given to her and complacent about how good she had it. I think he did a great job of showing reigning her back in. Would loved to have seen her face when she saw that video.

At 15 almost 16 she really does have it made - all she has to do is sweep up, wipe the counters if theyre dirty, unload the dishwasher and make her own bed - that is NOTHING. The way she made it out is that shes doing everything in the house. Her brother waking her at 6am that isnt casued by the paresnts or her having to look after him he's just being a pesky little brother. Father was totally justified IMO because what she did was disrespectful and downright sly to write that about them, hide it from their FB and put it there for the whole world to see. And especially after doing something similar before.

But we only have his side to say that is all she does, what if what she wrote was true, that she does many many chores? Some are to be expected but not all.

I agree with PP about the charity shop or selling it. Honestly though I would never shoot her laptop, my reason is that I would never want my children to think that guns are the answer when we dont like something, or ever in fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->