Dad staying at home instead of Mum

tallulah_bean

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone knows what would happen if my OH stays at home with baby rather than me?
My OH is facing possible redundancy and we were thinking that maybe he could stay at home while I go back to work (for financial reasons), if he goes on paternity leave the same way as I would go on maternity leave they couldn't make him redundant until he goes back, could they?
And would he be entitled to the 6 weeks at 90% and then SMP in the same way I would be?

Any advice or experience welcome :flower:

That sounds like a lovely idea, if he's willing and capable....go for it. I would rather me or hubby be at home with kids rather than them going to a nursery or childminder while they're still very young at least. Nothing wrong with nursery or childminders obviously but I think a little baby needs family and stability:hug:

Good luck with your decision:muaha:

Thanks Hevz, the current plan is that I'm off until January next year, but if my OH ends up getting made redundant it would have to be him so we have some money coming in.
I just need to find out if he could get the same leave and SMP entitlement if we did it the other way round!

Dunno about that I'm afraid. Phone your local benefits office, they are usually much more helpful on the phone than if you go there in person to be honest....and you won't have to wait:happydance:

I'm almost certain that men only get 2 weeks paternity. I think the maternity pay is purely for the person who has actually given birth, but it's worth checking out. Hope you get it sorted!

I think calling the benefits agency the best, they should be able to tell you everything, hope you get some answers, take care :hugs: XX

Thanks guys, will try the benefits office and see what they say x

I'm almost certain that men only get 2 weeks paternity. I think the maternity pay is purely for the person who has actually given birth, but it's worth checking out. Hope you get it sorted!

That is the case.

yeah men only get 2 weeks paternity, ut i think thats paid at the £117 a week or something.

My dad got 10 weeks off (he took the parental leave which is 10 weeks here) when my brother was born.. my mom went back to work after the 17 week maternity leave period. It worked well for them- she got to recover and get back to work (she hates being stuck at home LOL) and he got some desperately needed time away from his job to stay at home with us.

Im pretty sure that in uk men only get two weeks

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyT...ort/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018750

Hope this helps

my blokes been the housewife since last march :) i go to work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->