Dale Farm, Travellers in Basildon.

Laura2919

Team Twilight!!
Reaction score
Do you think they should stay? or are the council right to move them on?

They have been there for years and originally were granted enough space for 40 families, now they have extended it and havent been given planning permission.

The council are going to spend 8 million pounds and the police are going to spend 10 million pounds moving them on.

I think they should be moved because they are there illegally, if they let this one slide what about all the other people who have had planning refused and have just gone on with thei daily lives legally.

Its not ideal but Basildon council have said they were willing to find them alternative accomodation but the travellers refused as they all wanted to stay together.

Whats your opinion?

I haven't a clue on what/who they are...?

Also your Christmas ticker gives me a sense of panic lol... My daughter will be 2 on the 30th of December! Ahhhh!

it is a difficult one

on one side, yes they don't have planning permission and they can't let it slide for 1 group of people otherwise it will be expected for other groups too, but on the flip side ..... why have they let it get too this stage before trying too resolve the issue?? surely therefore they have too take some of the responsibility??

I really dunno what I stand too be honest, it's tough

it is a difficult one

on one side, yes they don't have planning permission and they can't let it slide for 1 group of people otherwise it will be expected for other groups too, but on the flip side ..... why have they let it get too this stage before trying too resolve the issue?? surely therefore they have too take some of the responsibility??

I really dunno what I stand too be honest, it's tough

Yup... I don't know the ins and outs, but I would think that evicting them all then sorting out the results would be far problematic, pricier and all than letting them stay? Where would they go?

If the council are going to find them alternative accommodation, we'd have everyone else on the waiting list peed off about being leapfrogged to a house by all these suddenly 'homeless' families...

I live in Wickford Essex bout 2 or 3 miles from all of this, I think they should leave them there tbh

But if they let them stay surely that would cause problems for the council because people are just going to cause uproar, all those people who were turned down for planning permission.

but then the council should have done something say 9 years ago and not let them stay there for 10 years breaking the law surely?

Every council legally has too provide areas for travellers, I would be interested too know how big the area is for them in that council area and interested too know if it has space too accommodate the number of people that are effectively about to be made homeless

Loving the name by the way :winkwink:

The council was on LBC this morning and explained why it took so long, they originally filed notice for them to leave and then they applied for planning permission so until that was dealt with they couldnt be moved, when it was turned down it had already gone as far as Government so they gave them two years to find somewhere else to live and once that two years had expired they still hadnt moved so the council had to start proceedings all over again which took them to 2009 and then when they were given permission to evict them its taken them 2 years in order to get a judge to give a date and all the other legalities involved.

Its crazy really that it takes this long!

It seems to me that the uproar is already afoot at the prospect of evicting them.

https://dalefarm.wordpress.com/

I think they should be moved on. They don't have planning permission to stay there. They are breaking the law and they know it.
I do feel though, that if I had built a home without planning permission, the local council would have told me to take it down or I would have been in court way before 10 years was up.
Because they are travellers, it seems the council are loathe to do anything for fear of the 'racist' card being pulled and the spouting out of the Human Rights Act!!

It seems to me that the uproar is already afoot at the prospect of evicting them.

https://dalefarm.wordpress.com/

They were supposed to leave last night but the council said they have to put police in to stop any trouble so could still be a few more weeks. This has been going on since 2001/2002

The problem is no one has said where they are gonna move them too, crays hill has quite a low population and moving them further into town is gonna cause no end of problems

To be honest why should the council have to move them on? They provide sites for them and if they want to make their own then do it properly, if not they cant just expect to cause millions of pounds of lawyer fees, notices and what not and then expect them to make them a site.

I will admit i am really worried they are gonna come to the country park I live next too, its a scary time

We have a traveller site near us. Its not really out in the public eye, there are some houses and then a little grit road and it goes a bit further back and then its the site. I dont ever get any trouble from them and I am only about 5 minutes. They tend to keep themselves to themselves although some of them arent the nicest of people if you dont harm them they wont harm you.
I just think if you think your going to get away with breaking the law when thousands of others have done it properly then you cant expect to be allowed to stay there.

As far as I understand it, the council have been trying to get them to move for most of the 10 years - it's just that the various legal proceedings have taken that long.

I guess they only call themselves travellers to avoid paying council tax, seeing as they don't seem to be doing much travelling!

As far as I understand it, the council have been trying to get them to move for most of the 10 years - it's just that the various legal proceedings have taken that long.

I guess they only call themselves travellers to avoid paying council tax, seeing as they don't seem to be doing much travelling!

When this was on a radio station I listen to do you know how many people said this and how right it is :haha:

I'm on the 'move them on' side of the fence.

A lot of the things in the media have been mis told by the media as usual

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->