Damn.

Yikes. I think co sleeping should be done 'carefully' but it is nothing like putting a knife next to them :shock:

Wayy OTT.
Lets be fair,whatever we do they will always find a 'fault' with.

Sigh.

Before anyone jumps on me let me just say I co-sleep with Caden and have done so since he was about 3 weeks old so I'm obviously an advocate. However, I can see why they would be so over the top with this campaign. Let's face it ladies, the general population isn't all too bright. Yes, co-sleeping is incredibly beneficial when done PROPERLY, but what about all those families bed sharing incorrectly? Such as a heavy sleeping father / mother, using heavy adult blankets, are smokers, drinkers, take medications, drugs, etc. Sometimes people need that scare tactic to get it through their heads. I don't condone co-sleeping when the proper guidelines aren't followed as much as possible and I can't imagine any of you would either. It IS dangerous when done incorrectly and CAN kill.

If this campaign can save ONE life than I'm all for it.

Sigh.

Before anyone jumps on me let me just say I co-sleep with Caden and have done so since he was about 3 weeks old so I'm obviously an advocate. However, I can see why they would be so over the top with this campaign. Let's face it ladies, the general population isn't all too bright. Yes, co-sleeping is incredibly beneficial when done PROPERLY, but what about all those families bed sharing incorrectly? Such as a heavy sleeping father / mother, using heavy adult blankets, are smokers, drinkers, take medications, drugs, etc. Sometimes people need that scare tactic to get it through their heads. I don't condone co-sleeping when the proper guidelines aren't followed as much as possible and I can't imagine any of you would either. It IS dangerous when done incorrectly and CAN kill.

But thats not sleeping with a knife in the bed, is it?
I get your point, but maybe the makers of these ads should be more realistic when it comes to making these dumb adverts, because seriously, WHO sleeps with a knife in their bed? No, I'm not saying that the purpose of the advert is about the knife being in the bed, but they should concentrate on the actual factors that could cause harm to a baby whilst co-sleeping.

ETA: Co-sleeper from birth due to severe reflux.

Sleeping in a cot CAN kill too but you dont see campaigns with knives in cots do you? Abso ridiculous.

Sigh.

I think the advertisement is a big waste of time. I think if these morons want to educate people on how to properly co-sleep, than they should find another way to seek these individuals through parenting classes or something. I don't think this ad was aimed at all towards just parents who co-sleep incorrectly, but everyone who co-sleeps in general. And for that reason, I'm disgusted and offended since I've been co-sleeping with my LO his entire life and if anyone EVER said that I might as well be putting him in bed w/ a butcher knife, I'd tell them they're the biggest idiots ever.

I don't think this campaign is going to save any lives. I think it's just going to cause unnecessary drama. Most people who are against co-sleeping either don't have children or are uneducated about co-sleeping, which I'm assuming these people who created the campaign are. I mean, putting your baby in bed with a knife is not the same thing as bed-sharing, at all, in any way shape or form.

I'm not trying to be rude, but this is something that really irritates me. I've had people say really stupid things to me about co-sleeping especially in the beginning when I wasn't too sure about it. Every parent needs to make the best decision they can at that time, no one should question or judge.

Also - I saw you said the general population isn't too bright. If most people aren't bright (which I agree a lot of people are uneducated about co-sleeping) than why don't they find some other alternate solution to teach people about safely co-sleeping? Most people are going to be like me and look at this advertisement and be like, what idiots, as if an advertisement is going to do ANYTHING whatsoever.

Currently co-sleeping and quite offended by these ad's..

I did say I co-sleep. I understand the amazingness of it all. I love it, it's the bomb, and I never want to stop.

Comparing this to putting a knife in a crib is just ridiculous to me. I think you're looking way too into this. A child dying in a safe crib (follow guidelines, no stuffed animals, blankets, etc) is a little different than a child dying in a bed with a parent who isn't co-sleeping correctly. One can be prevented, the other cannot.

Did the advertisement catch your attention? Did it shock you? Then it served its purpose.

This campaign poster was put out originally in Milwaukee because they have one of the biggest percentages of infant deaths in the world due to co-sleeping. They used the knife because they KNEW it would catch attention and hopefully change at least 1 person's mind. Do I agree with the campaign? Not entirely no. But I agree with its intentions on saving an innocent's life. Is it fear mongering? Heck yeah. But like I've said, that fear can change someone's mind.

I do agree with those that said courses or campaigns to teach people to co-sleep safely would be a good idea. It's an excellent idea. But you plant the seed in the public's mind at first that what they're doing could possibly be detrimental. How about writing into the people who put this campaign out and sharing your ideas with them? Can't change something if you do nothing about it, ya know?

This was discussed on the Today show this morning by a Dr. and Lawyer and their opinions were that the ads are out there and definitely have the potential to offend some people, but if they can save ONE life then what exactly is the problem here?

OH, and if you're co-sleeping correctly then why is the ad offending you? Surely it's directed to those who don't do it properly and are putting their child's life at risk. I turned the other cheek when I saw it. Doesn't affect me.

i'm nearly positive improper crib sleeping and improper co sleeping are identical. same as it being completely opposite if done correctly. does that make sense? any uninformed choice you make about your child is potentially harmful.

Anyway, no. actually i looked, said how stupid. and moved on. if i saw this out, i'd laugh at it.

Pretty sure that I just said that.... just in different words. I've had the flu and an ear infection the past few days so maybe my wording is off. Who knows.

Either way, the ad doesn't affect me in any shape or form. I don't see why it offends those that are co-sleeping CORRECTLY and SAFELY.

I cant speak for anyone but myself, but no, what i got out of what you were saying was that co-sleeping is more dangerous than crib because some people are stupid.

I think it all depends on the person, if you've had a lot of grief given to you because you co sleep i could understand being offender by this. The bottom line of it is being an uninformed parent is dangerous. Why does the ad JUST target co sleeping when co sleeping done properly is just as safe as crib sleeping and crib sleeping improperly is just as dangerous as co sleeping improperly.

"A child dying in a safe crib (follow guidelines, no stuffed animals, blankets, etc) is a little different than a child dying in a bed with a parent who isn't co-sleeping correctly. One can be prevented, the other cannot."

I'm too lazy to quote properly but that's pretty much what I meant. I hope they come out with an ad for improper crib sleeping. Maybe that'll make you happy because it'll be even? I fully agree both are dangerous if done incorrectly. I don't see what parent wouldn't lol.

I've gotten shit for breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not letting Caden CIO, EVERYTHING. But I'm comfortable enough in my parenting decisions to not let an ad that was in no way shape or form directed at me offend me. Oh well. People handle things differently

Bottom line, I think the ad is out there and a bit crazy. But it got some people talking, riled up, and shocked. Its job is done.

Night BnB ladies! I'm sick as a dog and heading to bed. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I really am not a butthead. I promise! :flower:

Are you sure, I think your a butthead. :haha:

Here's another way to look at it, i'm fairly positive i'm not the only one who wished they'd started co-sleeping early as then they might be able to remember a bit more of those first few weeks but didnt because uninformed people scared them out of it and they were just too tired and nervous to argue. Because being informed doesnt mean everything. I'd read a few books that covered co sleeping but those first weeks i was SO scared that something would happen i listened to everyone but myself. Someone in that situation could be very annoyed that these rather ignorant ads are fueling the fire.

But yeah as you said, everyone reacts to things differntly.

I don't see the need for the ad tbh, when I left hospital they gave me a talk and leaflets etc on SIDS risks and safe co-sleeping/cot sleeping, breastfeeding, making up formula feeds, when to call 999 etc. I didn't see this and think 'oh wow, co-sleeping can be dangerous?!', I thought 'well thats stupid' cos I already know that co-sleeping CAN be dangerous but only if not done properly. Just like cot sleeping. If they told everyone who had just had babies there would be no need for the ad, cos everyone would already know and could make their own decisions. Theres no need for a big knife next to a baby implying you're pretty much killing your child if you co-sleep. I get why they did it, but it just seems stupid to me.

Those adverts are terrifying!
I personally don't co-sleep, and haven't done so however some people find is successful and it is done properly, so shouldn't need to see horrid adverts like those.

Are you sure, I think your a butthead. :haha:

Here's another way to look at it, i'm fairly positive i'm not the only one who wished they'd started co-sleeping early as then they might be able to remember a bit more of those first few weeks but didnt because uninformed people scared them out of it and they were just too tired and nervous to argue. Because being informed doesnt mean everything. I'd read a few books that covered co sleeping but those first weeks i was SO scared that something would happen i listened to everyone but myself. Someone in that situation could be very annoyed that these rather ignorant ads are fueling the fire.

But yeah as you said, everyone reacts to things differntly.

Ok, ok you caught me! I'm a butthead! I'm cool with that though :p.

Anyway, I guess we all can agree to disagree. :flow:

See, I was told "you're not supposed to sleep with her in your bed" and whenever I've mentioned that she's in with me to a new parent, they've always said "that's so dangerous!" - if people who were misinformed see this, then it gives them more reason to be against co-sleeping altogether. I can actually only think of one person who was aware of the benefits of [safe] co-sleeping (she did a child development course) everyone else [who's had a child within the last ten years] implied that I'm being dangerous by choosing to have her in my bed instead of a cot.

I laughed at this, but I know loads of people who will just dismiss my choices as irresponsible if they saw. I think my main problem is that it's directed at co-sleeping in general, not just unsafe co-sleeping. Also the bit of information I see all the time "the safest place for your baby is on their back in a cot in your room" blah blah blah, it's probably just me but I can see so many flaws with this being presented as a fact.

Its a bit OTT, I believe the risks of co-sleeping do need addressing but no more than leaving you baby in the bath on there own or leaving them alone while eating. There are risks to EVERYTHING if 'not done properly' they have gone about it in totaly the wrong way, I think the one's we have here are much better, they basically say, not to sleep with you LO,
On the sofa,
If you or your partner have been smoking/drinking/taking drugs.
and VERY tired or ILL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->