Daniel Johns' Story-19/04/09

sjnams

Proud Mum
Reaction score
Finally found the time and energy to post Daniels birth story! :happydance:

At 40weeks and 4days I was starting to think nothing was going to happen. I had had no "niggles" or any inclinations that labour was imminent....everything was just hunky dory and plodding along business as usual. :D
At midnight Saturday, DH and I were getting ready to head to bed when I got what I thought was yet another Braxton with some cramping but within 30 minutes it became obvious that this was labour starting!! :dance: So we went off to bed thinking it would be good to get a few hours sleep in before the big event really kicked off :sleep: unfortunately the pain was just too much :( but I lasted at home untill 4am when DH was finally convinced that it wasn't a false alarm :rofl: and was happy to take me in to the maternity ward! :yipee:
We arrived at 4.30am to be told I was already 4cm dilated and they would be back to do another check at 9am. Midwife was lovely and kept us supplied with tea and toast and encouragement. :D Things appeared to be progressing well and everyone was happy....well as happy as you can be in the middle of labour that is! :p

9am came along with a shift change and I was checked again to be told I was only 6cm but apparantly they were expecting me to further on than that due to frequency and strength of contractions so MW asked if she could break my waters to help move things along.
This is where things took a different turn. :( When the waters were released, they were full of meconium, just pure black. MW said it wasn't something to be overly concerned about but I was to be moved to an observation room for constant supervision for the rest of my labour.
We got to the obs room and we were hooked up to a machine to keep an eye on Daniels heartbeat....instantly we all noticed something was wrong and the midwife left the room to get a doctor. Everytime I had a contraction, Daniels heartbeat dropped from 140bpm to 70bpm (as the labour progressed the drop was going down to 30-40bpm :()
No more free moving labour for me as I was hooked up to more machines, had an iv fitted and was confined to the bed.
I had painful, long, internals to check the oxygen levels in Daniels blood every hour or so by the consultant (took longer to perform as the machine to analyse the blood on our floor was broken so the blood had to be run up a flight of stairs to the only working machine to get the results).

I could write so much more on what happened during the labour but I want to keep this short and sweet...as much as I can that is after how much I have already written!! :D
Eventually after 10 hours in obs and 19 hours in labour, they made the decision to take me for an emergency c-section. :cry: Not exactly how we planned our birth but to be honest I was just so worried about Daniel and how he was coping with the constant drop in heartbeat over such a long period of time, I was glad he was finally going to be arriving to get a proper check up.

Daniel John was born at 8.05pm on Sunday 19th April 2009, covered in green goo and screaming his lungs out.....he is perfect :cloud9:
As a result of the labour though, he had cuts on his head (from the oxygen checks) and his head, cheeks and eyes were swollen from his unsuccessful attempts to descend in my pelvis....he never got more than 2/5ths engaged throughout the entire pregnancy or labour. He was beautiful though and gets even more gorgeous every day as the swelling settles and the scabs heal over :cloud9:

45mins old

https://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm302/sjnams/Daniel.jpg

1Hour old

https://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm302/sjnams/namyslos.jpg

:hug:

Congratulations he's a stunner. I see lots of mummy in him already. Hope you're recovering well. X

So glad everything worked out well! Congratulations!

Oh honey, he's absolutely gorgeous :cloud9: I'm sorry things didn't go exactly as you'd planned but he's here safe and sound which is the most important thing. You did brilliantly, really really proud of you hon! :hugs:

Hope you get a chance to start your parenting journal soon, I'm looking forward to keeping track of how all 3 of you are doing! :)

Well done sweetie, all that fun (and stress) in ttc and look at the beautiful result!!! Well done to both mummy and daddy!!! Sorry things didn't go to plan, but at least Daniel arrived safe and well...

Huge hugs, hope Daniel is doing well...xxxx.

oh wow I didn't see this before, good thing I checked this section today!! :happydance:

Well done, you!! I'm sorry about the emergency c-section but I agree I would've been super-concerned about baby too! If the heartbeat's that slow it's worrying so it was the best thing to do. and look at the wonderful result!! :cloud9:

now you have to keep us updated on your little Daniel!

oh yeah, and the crucial question.... how much weight did you lose? I bet you're almost back to normal now cause you were ALL bump before! :rofl::friends:

Well done and congratulations hun, hes gorgeous! x~x~x

Aww he's lovely! Congratulations!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"