• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Dates don't add up..

Miskas mommy

Reaction score
According to my lmp i should be 8+2, but at my ultrasound today the dr tells me i am measuring 6+5. The baby's heart rate was 136, and everything looked normal on the scan.

I'm confused how the dates are not adding up. Anyone shed some light for me??

I don't know what causes this, but with 2 of my pregnancies this Happened. My second I thought I was 8 weeks and turned out I was only 6. My third I thought I was 10 and ultrasound showed I was only 8. I have longer cycles so I wondered if that contributed to it. .. try not to worry. I carried both those pregnancies to full term and they are healthy kids!

The way I understand it going by LMP is a guessing game of the average time it takes a woman to ovulate. I could be wrong, maybe someone could explain it better.

But for someone like myself, I know for a fact I ovulated later:

Going by the LMP I ovulated at or around November 14. This would put me at 8 weeks and a few days today.

But on November 19th (a Friday) I did a progesterone test and I had not ovulated at all yet (my progesterone was 0.3, which is an indication of no ovulation). I suspect I did not ovulate until the weekend.

Going by the idea that I ovulated at least 5 days later and trying to account for the time it takes to implant (which can take several more days) that puts the gestational age a week behind, which is what the ultrasound I had on Monday confirmed.

Here's the thing. If you tested when your period was due (and it was due around CD28-30) and got your BFP, then it's probably not meant to be. That would mean that you got a positive just a day or two after ovulation, not counting the time that it would take to implant, too.

That being said, if you tested a little later and maybe have irregular cycles, then it could be okay. I just would rather know what's going on than have false hope. In this case, I would hope for the best but expect the worst.

I went through something similar. I tested when I was 2 weeks late on my period. I had ovulated on day 24 of my cycle, so my baby is "10 days small". That's okay for me because I DID ovulate late and have PCOS and irregular cycles.

Agreed with late ovulation and implantation as most probable reasons for later dates. My LMP was Oct 24, but I didn't ovulate for a full month after that, which would mean my dates would be way off if I used my LMP to gauge my EDD.

When did you get your BFP?

According to my lmp i should be 8+2, but at my ultrasound today the dr tells me i am measuring 6+5. The baby's heart rate was 136, and everything looked normal on the scan.

I'm confused how the dates are not adding up. Anyone shed some light for me??

Contrary to what a pp said, this is not necessarily a bad thing. The thing about early ultrasound is that they are trying to measure something the size of a pea using sound waves bouncing around through your body and all of your insides. It's VERY hard to get an exact measurement at this stage and most drs will tell you that the numbers can be off by a week or more because of it.

There are many variables that can affect the measurements too. How old the ultrasound machine is, how experienced the technician/doctor doing the scan is, how the wand is being held (seriously-I had a scan where the tech got 4 different measurements simply by changing the angle of the probe), when the baby implanted and even the location of implantation in your uterus can all affect your EDD at this point. I wouldn't worry and it's likely bubs will have caught up by your next scan.

And to help put your mind at ease even more, your baby might just be a small baby. With DS, I measured 7 days small my entire pregnancy. With DD, I got a bfp at 4+1 but she measured 5 days small my entire pg. Both were born full term and healthy and the dr figured they were just short since DH and myself are both shorter in stature.

Do you know about when you ovulated? Do you have longer cycles?

LMP is usually fine to go by if you have around a 28 day cycle. The further out your cycles are, the more inaccurate going by LMP is.

For me my LMP is November 15 which would put me at 6+3, but I didn't ovulate until CD 26, so I'm only 4+6.

So if you ovulated later, your dates could be a little more off. Did you chart at all?

I think it is all about the variation in our bodies. According to my LMP and even my OPKs, I know pretty exactly when I ovulated. I shouldn't have been able to test until the first week of December, but tested November 30th and got a positive on a digital. The fact that I tested a week early and got a positive, plus how my symptoms are going I feel like I am about a week a head of where all the books, websites etc say I should be but I don't get my first scan until February 1!! Its driving me nuts. So either my body responded with hormone surge REALLY fast the egg implanted the second it got to viable uterine tissue. Don't stress about the how many days etc. As long as baby is growing and has a healthy heartbeat that is what matters. Remember the measurements are averages. Yes most babies will fall into the averages, but some babies grow fast and some take their time. Some families have short genes, others tall!

My daughter was considered full term, but she was only 5 pounds 8 ounces, but even that was almost too big for me to birth vaginally as I am only 5 ft tall. So please remember to trust your body and your baby. Sometimes I think this age almost gives us too much information!

I went for a scan when I was what I thought was 8 weeks. I was only 6+3 and the 8 week calculation I got was based on positive opk and cm too so I clearly wasn't doing it right :haha:

Heres the thing I dont track or use OPK's and i have very irregular cycles.We have been trying for 3 years.
I tested because i was feeling off and was thinking i was late.. 3 BFP's in 5 days. they did a ultrasound at my first appt and thought i was about 5 weeks. then the scan yesterday was much better. Had a HB and could clearly see the baby. I am not going to worry about it to much. just was more curious about dating...

My cycles are pretty irregular (anywhere from 25-40 days), but when I was trying to get pregnant I found that although irregular, I always ovulated around day 15. I wondered if I just have a longer luteal phase or something. I don't know how it works, but it happens.

Good luck with your pregnancy :)

Heres the thing I dont track or use OPK's and i have very irregular cycles.We have been trying for 3 years.
I tested because i was feeling off and was thinking i was late.. 3 BFP's in 5 days. they did a ultrasound at my first appt and thought i was about 5 weeks. then the scan yesterday was much better. Had a HB and could clearly see the baby. I am not going to worry about it to much. just was more curious about dating...

I didn't mean to sound "doom and gloomy" in my post and hope I didn't. Many of us get pregnant with irregular cycles and have no real idea of when we ovulated. We have to judge based on early ultrasounds to get a due date. It's definitely not an exact science. As long as your cycles are irregular and didn't test early and get a BFP, you don't have anything to worry about! My dates were off by 10 days, and I'm 10 weeks today, so you're right there with me!

I actually tracked ovulation when I got pregnant this last time, using an ovulation predictor kit, and I ovulated on the 19th day of my cycle, even though I have pretty regular 28-30 day cycles. So that's a good 5 days later than I would have thought if I were just guessing based on LMP.

And figuring in the possible inaccuracy of ultrasounds at this early stage, I would not really worry right now. I think I went for my first ultrasound at about 11 weeks, and at that stage the baby measured exactly what it should, based on the day I knew I ovulated, but a good 5 days behind what it would have based on my LMP.

My last baby had trisomy 18 and miscarried at 13 weeks, so I do understand the worry. My strategy is just hope for the best and prepare for the worst. And also know that whatever is going to happen, good or bad, will happen whether I worry or not. However, I am now 33 weeks along with this baby, and everything is looking fine :)

of course I can't say exactly what is going on with you.

I can tell you from my own experiences that early dating scans can be wrong. I have regular cycles. I o between cd12-14. I have charted for 7 years. I know my body and honestly even without charting I could tell you when I o because of the exact signs for me. With that being said I've had them move my due date up by over a week twice before. With one baby that would have meant I o'ed on cd5 and the other cd6. I know for a fact they were wrong. But since it was over a week off from my lmp date they changed my due date. Of course mine was in the other direction than yours, but I just wanted to give you an example that they are not exact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"