Daughter is getting assessed for an SEN

MumOfPlenty

Expecting squishy #6...
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of a child with dyslexia and the way it presented itself?

My husband is dyslexic and it runs in his side of the family, just as an aside, I know it's hereditary.

My daughter is 7, she has recently got to school (it took 3 years of waiting to get her in, we had her try 2 different schools and got no support so I home-schooled in the meantime) and is in year 2.

Today we got a call from the school saying that one of us (hubby or I) need to go in on Monday to have a meeting with the SENCO - we've decided it's best if my hubby goes as he understands the condition firsthand. We figure she's going to need an assessment - I'm sure my hubby mentioned it when he called me to tell me about it - But just what does an assessment involve?

The thing is, thinking about it, and reading up on the signs etc on the british dyslexia association info page - it seems she has it - I'm jumping no guns here but she does fit the criteria. I thought when I was homeschooling that she had attention issues and it was caused by me - being mum - and that she just didn't want to learn with me. My hubby and I had numerous conversations about whether she could be dyslexic and as far as I was concerned, it was always a no - Children learn at their own speed, and sometimes it takes a while to 'get it' - She's not been so very different from her two older brothers in that respect and they've not got any difficulties at all.

Maybe not - we asked in one school she attended (after being there for a year) if there was any chance she could be dyslexic and they said no. However, they had issues with her not making friends etc - maybe this was a potentially lost opportunity for it to be picked up on?

I guess I'm asking for advice and some support here. Floundering, somewhat - and feeling immensely guilty that maybe I should have picked up on it sooner - I'm kinda worrying if I've let her down in some way here.

Help? Advice? Please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->