• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daughter still isn't gaining, been told to supplement. Surely theres another way...

4-7 wet diapers doesn't sound like enough to me. Am I just remembering wrong? I feel
Like my first son had a wet diaper at least 10 times a day

They are meant to have 5-6 wet nappies a day at least according to the BF info leaflet we get here produced by unicef and the NHS. Also in very warm weather they may have slightly fewer nappies. My second youngest had ten a day but I did have a severe oversupply problem xx

Has she been measured in length? Head circumference? Some babies grow more in length and head circumference and it takes a great deal of calories and fat to grow long and for their head circumference to keep up with its centile. The three weeks my second youngest had the worst weight gain and even lost 4oz, he grew 7.5cm in height (an inch a week!) and jumped a centile in head circumference. He went from having to have massive turn ups on his trousers to not needing any turn ups at all.

People are crazy. My youngest is between the 25th and 50th centile (born nearly on the 91st) in weight yet people keep saying how massive he is and am I sure I'm not feeding him formula on the sly! Yet my second youngest is quite big for his age and I always get comments as to how small and slim he is xx

That's interesting how come the health visitors don't know this aye? My son is 98th for length and 9th for weight and head

I was told there is a slight risk of injury from taking these measurements. Length there is a risk of dislocating the hips, head circumference not sure what the risk is but anyway because of this many HVs refuse to measure these anymore. I was told by my HV that they won't check length at all until baby is one year. My GP checks length and head circumference whenever asked but not sure if all GOs would. It actually says in the red book that if baby drops a centile length should be checked but they don't seem to care about this fact. Medically it is considered failure to thrive if baby gains in weight only but fails to gain anything in length or head circumference but if these are never checked how are they going to discover these cases? Xx

Sophie stopped gaining as much weight around that age too. She's slowly gone down the charts since birth. She was on the 85th percentile at her heaviest, now she's on the 50th.

BUT!!! And summer rain points this out and I agree...height changes can make a huge difference too. In that time it wasn't picked up until I measured Sophie myself, that she was no longer on the 75th for length. She'd fallen to the 9th (which she continues to hover just under). She had pretty much no gain, well, very little, in length for months. So not surprising she wasn't as hefty as she used to be. She doesn't need to be if she's so short!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->