Daughters nails... Please look

Teri7489

Proud mummy
Reaction score
She's had what started like holes that went straight across in a line and now she had what looks like a double nail. It's like the tip has remained attached and the new nail has grown over but its painful for her.

It's her first finger of both hands but the rest of her nails are fine. No recent injury.

Any insight would be appreciated

_20190107_192548.JPG _20190107_192529.JPG

Usually that sort of thing is from damage injury to the finger where the nail grows from. It can take a few weeks to appear in the nail as it only shows up as the nail that was damaged as it was formed (under the skin) grows long enough to be seen. However if she hasn't trapped her finger in a door etc. (say a month ago) and it is still painful, it could be that some fungus or virus is at work.
Pitting in the nails can be a sign of psoriasis (even if there is no associated skin patches). Think it needs a doctor's opinion if it is hurting.

Has she had hand, foot and mouth in the past few months? Something similar happened to my oldest a few weeks after she had it. If so, it's normal and just grows out. :)

Yeah she did actually! Hmmm, how odd but if it explains it I'm happy.

Definitely not fungal as it is a nail from each hand with the rest unaffected. No signs of it at all either. Would be strange for her to injure a finger each hand and for her to keep it quiet.

That's definitely what it is then. No need to worry. :) Google onychomadesis - happens in some kids after HFMD, mine included!

I’d take a picture and send it to her pediatrician....I can’t really tell but I’d want to make sure she doesn’t have horizontal ridges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->