Day 4 and boobs like footballs!

Laurenmomma

Reaction score
Ouch!
Ds was born on Sunday, my milk has come in but he's been sick and not feeding much especially through the night, is there anything I can do to make sure I don't get mastitis (had it with ds1 n was horrendous!) but also want to keep supply up for when he is a better feeder?

This is what he fed through the night so I'm having to do a few feeds from the 1 boob to make sure he's getting the good stuff!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 12
compressions and hand expressing is really important to avoid masitis and keep up supply. If your lo isnt feeding then your body will assume you dont need the milk and stop producing milk. congrats on your baby!

Pump!!!!,

Freeze milk and save - pump multiple times per day to get you comfortable

Thanks! I hand expressed in the shower this Mornin which helped I was weary of pumping incase i started producing more but I know he's not feeding half as much As he should through the night x

Pump!!!!,

Not good advice. Anything other than gentle hand expressing could trigger an oversupply and cause even more problems xx

Try to feed as often as possible to keep the milk flowing as avoid mastitis. Hand compression can help too, as can warm flannels. Hope it gets better soon :)

Pump!!!!,

Not good advice. Anything other than gentle hand expressing could trigger an oversupply and cause even more problems xx

That's interesting?? My supply greatly decreased once I completely stopped pumping and my physician and two lactation consultants recommended I start pumping to get my supply back up.

My dh does one feed per day of milk I pumped so I needed to pump enough for that and to feed her. Interesting you say pumping is bad advise?

Pumping in the early days can cause oversupply if the body responds a bit too well to a pump it can also cause under supply if you don't respond well to a pump. There have been mums I have known who were advised to pump from day one as it would help 'build up their supply' and it caused all manner of problems, such as producing up to 10 litres of extra milk a day (and that isn't an exaggeration), mastitis/blocked ducts and if feeds were being replaced with pumping sessions under supply problems. I have experienced it myself, I only have to pump once and I end up with severe oversupply and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. For these reasons in the UK it isn't advised to start pumping until at least 6 weeks after the birth xx

I used to do a hot shower massage and then just a bit of hand expressing to take off the edge. Day 4 boobs/hormones are the worst, lol!

Yeah as previous posters have said, hand expressing in a warm shower helped for me, as well as feeding Alfie as much as he would take. You would probably still be engorged no matter how much your baby is taking as your supply is still adjusting. It will take a little while. I remember how uncomfortable it was! Hang in there :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->