Dead cat in our driveway - what would you do?

prettybirdy27

Reaction score
Our neighbor lets his cat run around the neighborhood with no collar. This morning I was backing down the driveway and felt a thump hit both tires, so I got out and found I had rolled over his cat.

I felt her, and she was already cold and stiffening up, so she had to have already been dead and laying there for quite a while. I feel terrible for rolling over her - my car even has a super fancy backup sensing system and rear camera, but neither of them picked her up. She was orange, and our driveway was full of orange and yellow leaves, and she blended right in. I feel absolutely gutted about it and I choked back tears the entire way to work.

There were no signs of anything wrong, no blood or visible injuries. She looked perfectly fine, like she had just laid down there, except for the fact that her eyes were open. Luckily the neighbor was just leaving for work and I was able to flag him down. He came over and felt her, and the first thing he said was "Oh, she's cold." So he had to have figured that she was there for a while and that I didn't kill her.

Here's my dilemma - I didn't mention that I had rolled over her this morning. If I thought I had been the one to kill her, I certainly would have. But since she was already cold and stiffening, and she didn't look like she had been hit, I didn't tell him. However I'm betting if he has a vet check her out or something, they'll be able to tell and he'll know I hit her. From where my car was parked, it was only logical that I had run over her, and I'm sure he saw that. But after assessing the situation, he told me he thinks someone probably put out poison. She does run all over the neighborhood without a collar, so it wouldn't be surprising if someone thought she was a stray and put out poison.

Anyway, my question, if you were me, would you go and tell him that you did run over her this morning, or would you just let that go? I feel terrible, I'm sure they've figured out that I did run over her, but she was already cold and stiff so they had to have figured out that isn't what killed her. I would just hate for them to think that I was the one that killed her though. We've always gotten along well with those neighbors and I wouldn't want something like this to affect that, but we rarely talk to them.

I'm a vet nurse and unless he asked for a post mortum I doubt the vet would be able to tell if she looked perfect like you said. If you had killed her she would not have been cold or rigid if you looked straight away so she was there before. I wouldn't tell him as it's likely to cause him more heart ache. I really doubt he will take it to the vet to find out anyway.

I wouldn't say anything either x

I think I probably wouldn't say anything as it might make them sadder to think of her being run over, even though she was already dead. I'm sorry it happened, it must have been very upsetting :hugs:

Im with the others, if he doesn't say anything I would leave it. If you outright asked I would probably say what happened but otherwise leave it, poor thing was clearly already dead and nothing you did made any difference to the outcome. x

Since you know you didn't cause her death, I wouldn't say anything... sorry you had to go through that though, very sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->