Debate: Should Euthanasia Be Legal?

see withdrawal of treatment and enthanasia (as in administration of medication to cause death) i see as 2 different things

1 is not prolonging life the other is the intent to cause death :shrug:

I guess having worked in the hospital (more so intensive care) I can see how these 2 differ while others might not :shrug:

And anyway withdrawing treatment happens all the time already :shrug: So no need for euthanasia.

I havn't read the whole thread, what is actually classed as euthanasia? My sister up until a few months ago cared for an elderly lady, she lived alone in her own flat,my sister did shopping, cleaning, cooking etc for her, but she was capable of doing it herself if she needed to. This Lady always said, if she was ever to find herself not being able to do things for herself, and need full time care, that she would ratehr die. Unfortunately a few months ago, she was found laying on the floor in her flat, very confused, cold and dissorientated, she had taken a fall, had a stroke and been laying on the floor all night! She was taken to hospital, and put on a drip as she wasn't able to eat for whatever reason, and was told that it was unlikely that she would make a full recovery. So she decided after about a week, that if she couldn't even feed herself, that she was going to refuse the drip, and starve herself to death. The hospital sent out a person round who would evaluate her sitation and assess whether she was able to feed orally, they found she couldn't, so.. they just sent her home to die.

It was a very sad time, we all knew she was dying, well killing herself by not eating.. but no one did anything to try and convince her otherwise! She spent her last few days at home, in bed surrounded by the people she cared for most, and passed away happy. Rather than having her life dragged out weeks/months/years having to be cared for like a child, which had always ben her worst fear. Is that wrong?

I havn't read the whole thread, what is actually classed as euthanasia? My sister up until a few months ago cared for an elderly lady, she lived alone in her own flat,my sister did shopping, cleaning, cooking etc for her, but she was capable of doing it herself if she needed to. This Lady always said, if she was ever to find herself not being able to do things for herself, and need full time care, that she would ratehr die. Unfortunately a few months ago, she was found laying on the floor in her flat, very confused, cold and dissorientated, she had taken a fall, had a stroke and been laying on the floor all night! She was taken to hospital, and put on a drip as she wasn't able to eat for whatever reason, and was told that it was unlikely that she would make a full recovery. So she decided after about a week, that if she couldn't even feed herself, that she was going to refuse the drip, and starve herself to death. The hospital sent out a person round who would evaluate her sitation and assess whether she was able to feed orally, they found she couldn't, so.. they just sent her home to die.

It was a very sad time, we all knew she was dying, well killing herself by not eating.. but no one did anything to try and convince her otherwise! She spent her last few days at home, in bed surrounded by the people she cared for most, and passed away happy. Rather than having her life dragged out weeks/months/years having to be cared for like a child, which had always ben her worst fear. Is that wrong?

No thats not euthanisia, that's more like palliative care. If she was of sound mind and made the decision that she didn't want to be fed through a tube then there's not much doctors can do. Euthanasia is like when you put a pet 'down'. It's medication that will stop the heart beating and end the life.

Oh I see, thanks! I'll back off then coz I have no idea where I stand on that!

I dont think it should be legal. You can never be too sure of someones motives where this is concerned.

I watched my mum nurse my aunt through 2 years of bowel/lung cancer as well as having angina and diabetes. She was in pain most days but could cope on her pain relief, just.

She was unaware most days of her surroundings, as the end drew closer, but still had fleeting moments when you would have thought she was perhaps going to get a little better, when of course that wasn't the case. She could not eat a lot and was fed from a tube. I dont like the attitude that she may have been better of dead because she was merely existing (some people would say that).

I am from the line of thinking that, and I may get bashed for this, to ask someone to end your life is a bit selfish. Of course your in aboslute pain and may want to die with dignity but I know for a fact had my mum done this for my aunt she would never have forgiven herself but would have wanted to ease my aunts suffering. What kind of life would my mum have had with this burden hanging over her? knowing what she'd done? To take a life, no matter what the circumstances is something that someone must shoulder for the rest of their life and for some, i imagine, it would be too much..

ETA: my aunt did not ask my mum to do this - just saying 'had she asked her'..

To me this is an example of why assisted suicide should be legal - you shouldn't have to starve yourself in order to die - it's hardly a good way to go. If she had chosen to drink a liquid that would have sent her into a sleep from which she never would have woken surely that would have been better than starving herself.

IMO withdrawing treatment is very different to helping someone on their way. It can still take days and weeks for that person to die. I find it shocking that it's ok to starve someone to death (as they sometimes do when withdrawing treatment) but it's not ok for someone to choose to end their life.

Withdrawal of treatment (when done medically) should never remove basic nutrition, fluids or pain relief ....... if done correctly!

cancer can be a painless/peaceful death

it is quite rare really that it is painful/uncomfortable death
As a palliative care nurse I disagree. Not all Gp's in community are up to date with recommended medications / dosages. Also not keen to listen to macmillan nurses recommendations.
I do think it should be legalised, with strict legislation. Do not believe in God, its my life and mine to end.

i totally agre with this as a renal hdu nurse we often have patients literaly drowning from the fluid on their lungs, there is nothing we can really do to help this, it is so distresing for the patients and not a peacefull dignified way to go.

i can honestly say i would happily administer a drug that would end someones pain and suffering without any guilt. it would be an honour.

when my grandma was dying she was put on a pallitive care pathway but the ward she was on was not using it correctly. i went in there and said right get rid of that, take that away, knowing full well it would speed her death up. i did it out of love and my family thanked me.

When I first saw the debate question my first response in my head was "yes it should be legalised". Obviously how this would actually need to happen is far more complicated than I could even begin to think of for all the reason already mentioned.

I'm glad I read this whole thread tho because I didn't really know what palliative care was. I think I am still of the opinion that people should have the choice of whether they should die or not and under what circumstances. What I am now unsure of is whether this should be done via withdrawal of treatment, or by a "lethal injection" (sorry I don't know what the correct term is). It's very difficult but I do know that there are times when I have felt very angry at the pain that some people I know have had to endure, yet when I took my dog to the vet I was told categorically it would be the kindest thing to do to let him go. I do appreciate that this is not always the case though.

Hugs to everyone who has had losses xxx

Yes, I think it should be legal. I know I would like the option.

I defo think it should be legal but there should be some councillin and things to make sure ur making the right decision and not just on a whim!
I know it affects other people to but if someone is suffering so much thats what u have to think of! xx

Just to let you know ladies i think this debate has run its course mostly so we'll close it tonight :flower: xxx

https://www.babyandbump.com/general...ting-ourselves-our-own-homes.html#post5765910

New debate x

Ooo...question....is it physician assisted or just anyone helping you as long as you sign papers or do whatever legally you have to?? before i answer lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->