Debate: Should Euthanasia Be Legal?

Yes. I am very much for this.
It should, however, be chosen by the patient. I'm wary of letting family members choose to do this without patient consent. Or possibly I'm wary of a single family member choosing to do this. I'd prefer a consensus if at all.
I used to live in Oregon USA which has a death with dignity law that allows physician assisted suicide. While physicians did prescribe medication to people only a portion of those actually chose to follow through so it isn't something that is likely to go overboard.
ETA: There was counseling, certain criteria had to be met with the illness and quality of life and then the physicians would prescribe enough medication for the patient to end life painlessly. As mentioned only a portion of those who actually were prescribed enough medication for suicide chose to end their life that way.

Also ETA: I've had two (well more, but two contrasting examples) family members who would have used this differently. I had a great grandfather who died of complications from cirrosis of the liver. While he was dying he was either drugged up to the point that he didn't know who anyone was or trying to escape so he could try and kill himself as he was in so much pain. My grandmother on the other hand died several years ago from pancreatic cancer and she would have never considered assisted suicide.

I'm almost completely torn on this, partly because i don't know anyone who has had terminal illness before. My Grandad had cancer but he was "getting better" when he died. His organs just stopped working 1 by 1.

I understand people wanting the choice, and not wanting to wait anymore, but... i am of the opinion life is worth fighting for. No matter how little of a life it is, its worth something. I would rather be nursed until i naturally fell asleep, rather than taking my own chance away.

I don't know. Its a touchy one, because some people feel differently about life - some would say a life in a completely paralysed state isn't worth living - others would say it is. Who can put a value on life, but the person themselves?

:shrug: I honestly don't know. I cant even explain myself that well... this is a tough one. and for that, i say leave it as it is, and don't legalise it. Too many ifs & buts.

I definately think it should be legalised. Of course there would need to be strict conditions and counselling needed before anything goes ahead.
We don't allow animals to be in immense pain and suffering but we allow it in our own kind...? I saw my grandfather die of lung cancer when I was just a kid and near the end we weren't even allowed in the room cuz he'd just keeping saying "kill me, kill me, kill me" whenever anyone was in the room.

I dont think it should be legalised.

Anyone who contemplates suicide is ill, whether that's psychological or physical.
If you make euthanasia legal, you risk abuse on a massive scale! A person who is diagnosed with a terminal illness can not be reliably considered of right mind, of course they are likely to be deeply depressed.

Eventually this system will be abused, very ill relatives will be euthanised as they are a burden, under the guise of a more altruistic motive, think the practice of suttee in remote india, where wives are thrown onto husbands funeral pyres to "save their suffering":nope:

I am so sorry for everyone who has had to watch a loved one die, but I think in the bigger picture it is the lesser evil:hugs:

I dont think it should be legalised.

Anyone who contemplates suicide is ill, whether that's psychological or physical.
If you make euthanasia legal, you risk abuse on a massive scale! A person who is diagnosed with a terminal illness can not be reliably considered of right mind, of course they are likely to be deeply depressed.

Eventually this system will be abused, very ill relatives will be euthanised as they are a burden, under the guise of a more altruistic motive, think the practice of suttee in remote india, where wives are thrown onto husbands funeral pyres to "save their suffering":nope:

I am so sorry for everyone who has had to watch a loved one die, but I think in the bigger picture it is the lesser evil:hugs:

How can you compare sati (which is actually illegal in india nowadays) to putting someone (who is physically suffering with immense pain) to sleep peacefully?? We are not talking about randomly ending peoples lives just because they want to (suicidal and mentally ill people.) This is people who have been living with a physical illness who have been told their illness is going to end up killing them anyway.

Im not comparing!!
I just feel that extreme things like this will happen more regularly if euthanasia was legalised. As for the places where it is legal, how do we know for a fact that it isnt already being abused????

Just because a person is perceived as "suffering too much" doesnt mean they should be euthanised. We cant say what their pain is to a definable level, there is hospices and palliative care availible. Also the consequences of terminal disease, mainly the undignified effects would push people to fear being a burden long before a disease progresses.

Also although suttee is illegal it doesnt stop it happening, hence people will always abuse a system, it would just be easier!

I don't think it would happen more often if it was legalised as long as there are strict regulations in place regarding euthanasia. I think that only a registered physician should be able to assist and that the person needs to be of lucid mind. I think the person should have to go to see a counsellor before hand to ensure it's really what they want to do. Then the case should go through a few independent advisors before being approved.

Im not comparing!!
I just feel that extreme things like this will happen more regularly if euthanasia was legalised. As for the places where it is legal, how do we know for a fact that it isnt already being abused????

Just because a person is perceived as "suffering too much" doesnt mean they should be euthanised. We cant say what their pain is to a definable level, there is hospices and palliative care availible. Also the consequences of terminal disease, mainly the undignified effects would push people to fear being a burden long before a disease progresses.

Surely the person going through the pain and suffering would know if it's too much for them to cope with??

Yeah but the person would have to be able to communicate that ^^

Everywhere it's legal in one form or another* it is pretty intensely tracked.

*There are various forms worldwide. There is assisted suicide where the physician prescribes the dose and it's up to the person to make the final decision (ok there was no good way to phrase that), and there is more traditional euthanasia where the lethal dose is administered by a physician.
I'm certainly more on the side of the former.

I'm all for it regardless of circumstances!!
I don't believe the government or anyone else should be making
decisions for YOU! If that person no longer wishes to be here,
then there is really no sense in letting that person become a
burden to society and especially to loved ones. Ultimately,
it should be an individual’s choice in choosing to live or die.
And who are we (or government) to determine ones level of pain?

Sorry if that sounds harsh or offends anyone (not meant to)
just how I've always felt on the subject.

In a perfect world it would be great to be able to make those kind of decisions for yourself. In practice I think it has the potentual to be abused.

I am torn, for religious reasons, and because I would be worried the system would be abused, I say no. But, to actually see a loved one suffer and BEG to be let go, I say yes. I just pray that I never have to make a decision for a loved one to be let go....even if it is legal, like no extrodinary measures or 'pulling the plug'.

Everywhere it's legal in one form or another* it is pretty intensely tracked.

*There are various forms worldwide. There is assisted suicide where the physician prescribes the dose and it's up to the person to make the final decision (ok there was no good way to phrase that), and there is more traditional euthanasia where the lethal dose is administered by a physician.
I'm certainly more on the side of the former.

Yes, when my step-dad's dad died, they stopped giving him his insulin, and it was very quick after that...of course, he was very near death as it was...it was just a little nudge. He asked for it...said he knew he was dying and wanted to go.

We have a patient who is mute. She can't feed herself, walk, she has to be hoisted and she just sits in a chair or bed all day. However, she's happy. She smiles if you smile at her and her hubby comes in everyday twice a day to feed her. You might think she's suffering when you read it cos she cant do anything for herself but she's not. She's blissfully unaware how much she can't do.

But how so you know what your lady is aware of?? I would hate to be in her position, a smile can cover many feelings. ( no reflection on the care you give her i might add, just my thoughts

Who was it said ' people need to live not just exist', something along those lines

Well she has advanced alzheimer's :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"