Decision time.... Feel overwhelmed by options!!!

redpoppy

Reaction score
hey cloth nappy fiends.

Could any of you give me advise on how to start out in terms of what NOT to do. :blush:

I find it all so overwhelming and really want to make the switch over soon!

I want to go for an AIO style. Is there a reason or reasons I shouldn't?

And although there is advise online to NOT get birth to potty it seems a few of the reviews on here like those quite a bit.

Also, any advice on night nappies would be great. :thumbup:

Anything else?

Our main nappies are birth to potty BG Flips and they're great, I'd definitely recommend them. We also have BTP BG V3 for nights which again are great. I think if you have a really small baby then BTP may be a bit big to start with but at nearly 4 months they'll be fine.

I don't have any AIOs, they tend to take longer to dry because you can't separate out the parts as easily. Also I'm a cheap skate and I like things like Flips where I only had to get 6 covers to go with my 16 inserts so worked out alot cheaper than 16 AIO nappies.

I'd recommend buying a few different types preloved so you can get an idea of what works for you.

I would agree with what Lu says. Dont buy a massive lot of one nappy, you might hate them! Buy one or two of several kinds and find out which you like (part time cloth for a while til you figure it out if you like!) before investing in a big bundle.
Pocket nappies are ideal for most people because the inserts come out for fast drying, the best true AIO I know of are the BG Organics.

Night nappy wise, I prefer two parters (ie nappies that need wraps) as I use them will wool covers. For start up night time nappies I would happily recommend Tots Bots stretchies and Ellas House bumhuggers, they are economical and work, both require wraps. I have personally found 2 parters to be far more reliable for long night sleeps.

Littlestar done a fab article which answered loads of my questions :-

heres the links

https://www.ethicalshoppingforbabies.co.uk/2010/01/cloth-nappies-getting-started/

https://www.ethicalshoppingforbabies.co.uk/2010/04/cloth-nappies-faqs/

I'm in the process of switching over and have found its working for me, I borrowed a few different types to see what I liked and worked for us and have then been slowly building my stash. I seem to have a heap of 'pretty' nappies in all kinds and colours of fluff but no really good stock day things like the flips or pop ins so will be working on getting those next.

Personally I like the AIO's or pockets, can't be bothered with 2 parters and I'm still using disposables of a night... Will prob take another couple of months before we're F/T cloth but thats not bothering me, it takes forever for me to get through a packet of disposables these days as he only wears max 3 a day so I'm still doing good for both P. and the environment.

hey cloth nappy fiends.

Could any of you give me advise on how to start out in terms of what NOT to do. :blush:

I find it all so overwhelming and really want to make the switch over soon!

I want to go for an AIO style. Is there a reason or reasons I shouldn't?

And although there is advise online to NOT get birth to potty it seems a few of the reviews on here like those quite a bit.

Also, any advice on night nappies would be great. :thumbup:

Anything else?

The only problem we personally have with AIO's is the time they take to dry. I don't like the fact you can't really boost them if required without making a huge nappy. On the other hand though they are soo easy, all one piece no messing with folding etc.

Birth to potty nappies, i think this name is starting to fade out as it is slightly wrong, they are more like one size, they tend to work best from about 10 weeks, they can be a little chunky otherwise. From a practial point of view, my daughter who is nearly 19 months and about 27lbs is coming to the end of her BTP's but this obviously varies from child to child.

We love bumgenius version 3's for night time use, we use them with both inserts and a microfibre cloth, not too bulky and holds just about the right amount for us.

Some questions:

What are flips?

Are "pocket" nappies the same as two in ones or shaped nappies?

Are shaped nappies and "two in one" nappies the same?

sorry if that sounds stupid.
:blush:

Some questions:

What are flips? flips are hybrid - they have different insert options, stay dry, organic & disposible

Are "pocket" nappies the same as two in ones or shaped nappies?
pocket nappies can be fitted, but not ai2's.

Are shaped nappies and "two in one" nappies the same?
i think your getting confused, shaped nappies are sometimes called 2 parters being the should be used with a wrap. and all in 2 (ai2) nappy comes with all the required layers attached to each other.

sorry if that sounds stupid.
:blush:

if it helps let us know what brands your looking at and we can explain it better for you. the articles in my siggy will help - i've linked examples of the different types of nappy in there too.

I have just one piece of advice: buy different kinds preloved! :)

It's real nappy week!!!!
:happydance::happydance::happydance:

So there's some events on. :thumbup:

There's also the option of hiring some nappies or aso some places let you try some out and return the once you don't like for a 70% refund...

That may work out cheaper? :shrug:

It's real nappy week!!!!
:happydance::happydance::happydance:

So there's some events on. :thumbup:

There's also the option of hiring some nappies or aso some places let you try some out and return the once you don't like for a 70% refund...

That may work out cheaper? :shrug:

That's what I've done. I rented a selection of nappies during a month. I was basically able to try all kind: OS, pockets, AIO, AI2, fitted+wrap... It's easier to decide what's best for you when you can see and touch the nappies! Then I bought some staples like BG or Imse Vimse... If I want to try a new kind, i buy it preloved so I'm not too gutted if it doesn't fit. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->