decisions left so late

mumatmadhouse

number 6 on the way!
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I am looking for some opinions and advice. This is baby number 6. I have had 3 hospital births and the last 2 at the birthing centre. Completely different experiences and I preferred the centre by far. I had to see a consultant with the last baby so I could birth at the centre. Because of my age and number of births. Anyway I am hoping the consultant will be ok with my iron levels next week and agree to another centre birth. I have also been thinking about a home birth as an option though. My centre is around 40mins away and I am a little worried about making it there in time. My last labour was 3 hours from start to finish. I was only at the centre for 45mins and she was here! If I could just walk out the door it would be fine but, obviously with needing to make sure someone is available to look after the kids things are playing on my mind. What bothers me is that we are very rural and 40mins from the hospital without any traffic if there was a problem, whereas the centre is about 15 mins from the nearest hospital. I also have a busy house with lots always going on and I am a little worried about being able to focus on labour. Thanks if you managed to get this far! What do you think? Any mums of many birthing in busy homes?

I have had two home births and loved them both. My first was decided on quite late after visiting the hospital we were planning on using and not being convinced it was offering the best care we found an independent MW and loved her. Second time round we visited our MW when I was 5 weeks to let her know we would be needing her again!

The two labours and births were quite different experiences in some ways. The first was very slow and slowed down every time I was distracted. I needed quiet space to concentrate. I was in labour for a long time before calling the MW and when she did come she gave us a lot of space so most of the time it was just me and OH. Second time we had our two year old there and a student MW and family popping in and out so it was much more lively. I thought I would hate that but it was fine. My second labour was faster and more intense and I had the feeling it was all going to happen when it wanted no matter what was going on around me.

Thanks for the input Bunny N. I have the consultant on Monday so will see what that brings I guess. Got lots to think about but just feel that I would rather have a planned hb than an unplanned one or end up giving birth at the side of the road!

If I were you, it would be a home birth 100%. Your body knows what to do.

Spoke to dr surgery this morning. Blood tests are back but need to be discussed with gp. They are going topprint them out so I can take them to the consultant but wouldn't tell me what they are. They did say that there is a prescription for iron there for me though so it must be lower than they want it.

Join the home birth chat group on facebook. Id go for a hb all the best

I was anemic last pregnancy but my levels went up quite quickly with suppliments. If that doesn't work they can give you iron by IV which works quicker. Its unlikely to stop you from having a HB unless it is severe. Some doctors and MWs are really supportive of HB others don't really support HB but can't say that directly so they look for an excuse to say you "can't" have a HB and can almost always find something if they look hard enough. It makes it hard to know sometimes when objections are for real reasons or just excuses or over caution. If there are any doupts its worth to inform yourself also and decide what you are comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->