Decrease in Heartrate on CTG ??

charmy28

Reaction score
I went into hospital yesterday for monitoring due to reduced movments. I was hooked up for approx an hour and twice it recorded that I had a braxton hicks/contraction and that babies heartrate dropped to 104 for approx 30 seconds while this was occuring. The midwife said she was a little concerned and I would need to see the doctor. The doctor signed the trace off without even looking at it and told me to go home. I really dont know whether to be worried or not to be honest, What if I keep having these and babies heartrate keeps decreasing?? Does anyone know anything about this???? It wasnt explained very well to me and midwife said it was probably baby lying on cord.

Call backand ask the doc? Probably normal, but Next time, don't leave until they have thoroughly addresses your concerns, and answered your questions. That is your right. They should not explain something properly.

Decelerations and accelerations are very normal when being monitored.

Without them MWs arent happy at all. If your worried though call the unit back and ask for the MW to discuss it with a MW

Hi thanks for your answers ladies.
The midwife did say that decels and accels are normal (and a good sign) and if it had dropped very briefly and shot straight back up then it wasnt a problem.
She also said because it dropped for 30 seconds and while I was having braxton hicks/mini contraction then that was why I needed to see the doctor. Unfortunatley he really diddnt look that intersted and just said fine ok go home and walked off.
I have now rang back to triage and told them how worried I am and they have said to go in so hopefully they may be able to explain more clearly and /or monitor me to make sure it doesnt happen again.

I was monitored several times in my last pregnancy and never saw hb go to 104 with contractions? Normally it stayed between 140 at lowest ( I used to stare at the machine for hours while waiting lol). Maybe go back and get second opinion.

Decelerations and accelerations are very normal when being monitored.

Without them MWs arent happy at all. If your worried though call the unit back and ask for the MW to discuss it with a MW

^^ Yep, what Kala said! Heart tone variability is a good thing!:thumbup: It's when the HR doesn't return to normal, or takes overly long that it might be indicative of trouble!

When I was being monitored once about 28 weeks.. I noticed every once in a while my baby's hb would drop to 117 from about 140 and me and my oh looked at eachother worried but mw said it was normal.. I suspect it was now braxton hicks I wasn't aware of at the time!! :)

Ditto what all the others said. They're looking for baby's heart rate to change. My boys jumps all over the place when i go in for my NST 2x a week. It's when it doesn't really change that is a cause for concern

I was induced last monday for reduced movements and ctg showed I was having contractions and heart rate dips? Id get a second opinion...like my hospital said, theres every chance everything is fine but if they cant guarantee 100% its not worth the risk x

Defo get this double checked, im sure its all fine but i ended up with a emergency c section cos babies heart rate dropped with every contraction so i would recommend getting a second opinion xxx

Thanks for your relies ladies. I went back to hospital where they did another trace and said everything looked fine. The only thing that concerns me is that on this one there was no braxton hicks so didnt get the chance to see what her reaction would be. (The decelerations were only when having 2 braxton hicks on last one)
They really didnt seem concerned though when i was asking about it and the midwife said it could be where baby moved when I had a braxton Hicks and the monitor just didnt pick it up correctly. Im not convinced though as I was sat listening to the decreases when they happened and they were loud and clear :(
I suppose they cant keep me hooked up 24 hours a day to the monitor though waiting for braxton Hicks to see if it happens again......I will keep really close eye on her movements and if i feel something is wrong will make another trip to hospital.

Can i just ask Smanderson and lpjkp , did they tell you why this was happening and heart rate was decreasing ??

Charmy maybe you could go back when you have regular BH? or when you star early labour maybe they could hook you up then to check?

In my case the cord was around his neck :( he was fine though, they did the emergency c section and he has been great! currently guzzling his food like a champ so its just worth being cautious but its probably not the same issue but i would rather you know this and you can push them to check and make sure all is well :thumbup:

They didn't give any reason for me, just that they werent convinced baby was fully happy in there and that they'd be happier him making an arrival...there was no cord around his neck or anything but he wasn't moving as theyd expect with each contraction either...then again, my baby was always one for winding up the doctors throughout my pregnancy! X

Thanks for replying ladies :)
I had heard somewhere it could be a cord issue but also read that can just be one of those things where they get stressed during contractions and want out asap......
I would go in and get them to remonitor me when I know I am haiving braxton Hicks but I really cant feel them. I assumed I wasnt getting any until they showed up on the trace.
I am pushing for a scan to check growth because of her reduced movements so should be getting booked in soon and hopefully if there are any problems they should pick up on them then.

Thanks again xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"