Decreased movement

Wish85

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
I know I'm only early and it's probably normal but it still makes me worried. I first felt movement at around 14 weeks (it's my second pregnancy) but it was obviously very sporadic and not predictable at all. Well as of about a week ago I have been feeling movement several times a day every day.

The last two days I have hardly felt anything. I've tried all the tricks, cold drinks, sugar, eating, laying on my side and nothing. Just when I think I feel a little kick it's that quick and ambiguous and then stops so I don't know if it's actually movement or something else.

There is always something to worry about isn't there? :dohh:

Guess I'm just venting really. I want to feel reassured every day again..I don't have a doppler either so listening for heartbeat isn't an option..

If you're worried call your OB, but otherwise I'd think your LO is just going through a growth spurt and moving less because s/he is busy.

Thanks Arturia. I will give it until this afternoon as I have heard about the growth spurt/resting theory. If I'm not satisfied then I'll call my midwife :)

I don't know where I read this, but you aren't supposed to count movements until later on when your baby is bigger. Hope baby moves soon for you, though! That is always SO stressful

Thank you. I've read the same thing but it somehow never stops the worry :nope:
I haven't been counting kicks as such, it's more that for a week or so there are probably 3 or 4 times a day I feel a little flurry of movement so I know all is ok in there whereas the last couple of days I keep trying to get baby to move and all I'm getting is one little feeling but then it goes away before I can decide whether it's movement...

Baby may just be in a different position so I'm not feeling it the same?

I had a panic at 22 weeks for the same reason. Felt her move since 16 weeks, even had hubby feel her at 21, then almost nothing for like 4-5 days. Went to the ER in a panic, and sure enough, all was good. She must have changed positions or was just more relaxed those days. Dr said not to count or worry until 28 weeks. If you're nervous and need reassurance, by all means go get checked, but chances are, all is well :)

I had a panic at 22 weeks for the same reason. Felt her move since 16 weeks, even had hubby feel her at 21, then almost nothing for like 4-5 days. Went to the ER in a panic, and sure enough, all was good. She must have changed positions or was just more relaxed those days. Dr said not to count or worry until 28 weeks. If you're nervous and need reassurance, by all means go get checked, but chances are, all is well :)

Thanks Amanda, I'm glad everything worked out for you. It's one of those things where odds are it's fine but then if something was wrong and you were nonchalant about it, you would never forgive yourself. I'm going to wait because I do feel something, it's just different. If I start feeling NOTHING then I will chat to my midwife or go to the hospital.

They're still very small at that age so you won't be feeling much if they're in a different position/facing the wrong way, try not to worry.

I'm 23 weeks with my 3rd and have felt movements since 13/14 weeks and have had a few worried days lately as he's been really active some days then really quiet. I had one night where I didn't feel him move all night but the next day he made up for it.

It's hard not to worry. X

Thanks for the reassurance girls. I guess worrying about it isn't helping either. It's Murphy's Law - the more I think about it & want the baby to move it won't. I'm sure the minute I stop thinking about it I'll get a big thump to remind me it's there :)

Baby could be lying in your back and that's why you can't feel her/him X

You need to know what's normal for you and your baby. Just because your less than 28weeks doesn't mean your midwife/ob/doc won't want to know or help. It could be, and probably is, nothing, but if your worried I'd still get checked out. Would your doctor see you and check heart beat if you called? If you're in the U.K., your maternity unit triage would probably see you.

I've had a panic this week with movement as well. I've got a very active little one, I get kicked on and off for a lot of the day! My stomach has been jumping with the kicks since week 21 :) Then on Monday, she barely moved all day. I spent the whole day trying not to worry but you can't help it. Monday night I felt a small jab which reassured me a bit but that was about it and I had an uneasy sleep. That said, she woke me up on Tuesday with a massive kick and has been more active then ever since..! I think they do have quiet days, especially at this point. Or I guess maybe she moved into a position I couldn't feel her move so much on Monday.

I think I would have had a word with my midwife on Tuesday eve though if I hadn't felt anything by then just as I know it wouldn't be that normal for me. Its hard to know how long to leave these things though!

This is my second baby and I started feeling movements as early as 12 weeks this time, For the past 3 weeks (I'm nearly 19weeks) I've barely felt anything. I went for a private gender scan and she said I have an anterior placenta which explains the lack of movements. I presume as the placenta is getting bigger it's covering more of the baby so even though I felt movements early on it's now acting as a barrier between us! Maybe you have an anterior placenta too? It also explains why when I saw the midwife at 16 weeks it took her a LONG time to find the heartbeat, she put it down to the positioning of the baby but now I know that the placenta was probably in the way.

If you are worried then get it checked out, midwives would rather we were cautious and nothing be wrong, to us thinking "oh it'll be fine" and we should've done something about it. I bet it is something like positioning of baby or the placenta.

Thanks for all the advice girls! Baby is back to letting me know he/she is ok in there! Feels like a fish in a bag.

Boobee this time I have a posterior placenta, I had an anterior with my DS and luckily still felt kicks with him in my 17th week. Baby must have just been facing my back or was having a little rest while he/she goes through a growth spurt :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->