Decreasing caffeine

Springermommy

Reaction score
With how busy my life has been, I normally drink up to 5 strong cups of coffee per day, sometimes more if I have a big project due. I've decided to switch to tea in preparation for TTC. I got some black tea that has about 25 mg of caffeine per cup. Technically, I'm allowed to have 8 cups a day when pregnant to stay at/under my 200mg per day limit... Lol.
I've definitely craved the caffeine, so a couple of my cups today have had 2 teabags... Lol! I think I'll be ok as I find it quite tasty with a little Splenda... :coffee:

Anyone else trying to make this adjustment?

I'm a complete coffee addict, and have been since a teenager. :coffee: During pregnancy I just made my coffee a little weaker and added a little more milk. Didn't have a problem, and will probably do the same again with the next pregnancy. Having my morning coffee made me a happy and tolerable pregnant woman. :haha:

I have cut out most of the soda since before I got pregnant last time, which is progress. There's so many calories in the regular kind!

I only drink 1 cup a day in the morning of tea, and maybe sometimes during the day if I visit someone. When I was pregnant before I switched to decaf and didn't have any caffeine at all. I know too much is bad in pregnancy so I just didn't want any at all. It's really good your making that switch now in preparation :)

i also am a coffee addict- when I was pregnant I had my 1 cup morning coffee - half regular half decaf.

i gave up everything recommended, but this is one thing I could not.

For me it's the caffeine ill need to wean my body off I get terrible heaheadaches from the withdrawal. Once the symptoms are overcome I'm quite happy with decaf

I'm trying to cut back on the caffeine. I'm a complete soda addict and I know it's not healthy. I have to cut back slowly, though because I get horrible headaches from withdrawal if I don't. :nope:

I started by switching 1 20oz soda for a 20oz flavored water (because I hate plain water). After a few days, I'll switch a second bottle of soda for a bottle of water so on and so forth until I've completely stopped drinking soda. It'll take me about two weeks to make the switch, but it's for my future baby, so it's definitely worth it. Plus, once I get used to not drinking soda, it's not too bad. I'll still allow myself one of bad days, so I don't feel completely deprived.

I really like drinking pekoe tea with milk no sugar. Now I'm starting to drink McDonald's coffee it's soooooo good I love the taste. I drink about two bottles worth of water a day when I go to the gym and on my walk.

Studying has made me coffee addict too. :coffee: At "worst" I drank 4-5 cups a day, but then decided it was too much for me thinking about ttc and otherwise, and I was two days without coffee. Or survived would be better word. I felt like dead people walking and had terrible migraine all that time. Now I'm drinking 2-3 cups of coffee a day again and not caffeine after 5 pm. If I feel like drinking more, I'm trying to replace it with tea or just by drinking water. Sometimes it's just a habit of holding that cup in your hand, so almost any drink will do. :D When TTC is closer, it's going to be so hard to cut that coffee down max to 1 cup a day! I think I'll start that project next autumn..:D

I know the feeling! As a student, I drink a lot of diet mountain dew to stay awake focused! It's going to be very difficult to cut out that habit when I start the TTC process.

I drink sooo much herbal tea. I don't have the caffeine thing that so many of you do, so it's probably not a lot of help. I love that there are so many flavors. Some are naturally sweet and it would give you a nice warm cup to hold! :)

One thing I'm nervous about is that I read you're supposed to be careful about herbal tea, too! I might be in trouble...

Today I bought a coffee at McDonald's but spilt it in the living room. :dohh: I cleaned it the best I could and I still have my free coffee card. :happydance:

So, I've reduced my intake to 2 8-oz cups per day (night, actually, while working.) I struggle working night shift a lot... I think I'll try to go to 1 1/2 for awhile, then 1 and hopefully, eventually wean off completely. I know up to 200mg is still ok while pg, so I may still have an occasional light cup.
At home, I've been sticking to tea and occasional hot chocolate.

Progress, not perfection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->