Definitely having baby early!

T

Tink.x

Well due to the fact that baby is not growing at the rate he should be i will be having baby early. I have been told i will be very lucky to make it to 37 weeks and in her opinion i will have him by 34. I have a scan on Sunday to check on his growth. Who knows, I could have him next week...only the scans will tell! xoxox

Anyone had there baby at 34 weeks and been able to take him/ her home within a reasonable amount of time? Everything is ok apart from his growth..his lungs should be fine by then....???

Thanks in advance!! :) xoxox

Hello

My baby was born at 34 + 3 days on 5th March. My waters broke and I went in to early labour naturally. Due to the hospital being convinced that I would be one of the 30% of women who don't go into labour and ignoring the fact I was blatantly in labour, the didn't examine me and missed the fact that she was breach until I was 10 cm dilated, hence an emergency caesarean (sorry rant!).

Any way, we were in hospital for a week after she was born. She spent 36 hours on the neonatal unit where she was cup fed (not in an incubator) and I then had her on the ward with me for the following 5 days where I got support to help establish breast feeding. The only problem she had was not maintaining her temperature and a somewhat lazy approach to breast feeding which was solved by using nipple shields to help with the latch.

Maddie weighed 5lbs 8 oz at birth which is a very good weight for a baby at 34 weeks so I think we were lucky in that she didn't have too many complications.

Best of luck and at least you will be closely monitored and controlled.

Good luck Tink.

It depends hun, on a lot of factors. Birth weight for a start. Baby might not have any idea how to feed either so you might have stay a few days until that is firmly established. AT 34 weeks some babies dont have the sucking reflex.

Good news is though, the longer baby stays in your tummy, the less time in neonatal. :flower: but at 34 weeks all should turn out fine!

Connor was born at 34+6 and had growth restriction problems, he weighed 2lb 11 1/2 oz but came out screaming. He needed no assistance with breathing, I did have the steroid jabs the week before which I'm sure can only have helped.

He went into an incubator for 3 days but only for warmth, he was in normal air not medical oxygen. He had an iv line in a leg vein which provided nutrition until he was able to take ebm. He also had an iv line in his hand of fluids. We had to stay in for 4 1/2 weeks due to his size. Originally a weight target of 4lbs was set but this reduced to 3lb 10 as he was doing so well with feeding etc.

Connor did manage to breast feed from day 3 and we are still bf now.

Good luck x

Cheers for the support. Makes me feel better about the situation :) xxx

It all depends on baby.
Hope scan on sunday shows a nice growth x

As Laura says there is no "standard" really, it all comes down to how much time your baby needs in hospital.

The advice generally given is "due date or before" So plan for that and if you get your LO home sooner - so much the better.

Abby was 29 weeks, 3lbs 7oz. She was in for 6 weeks, and she had minimal problems, she just really needed to grow.

Good luck on your scan, hopefully your LO will stick for a wee while longer. Every day makes a difference. Are they giving you the steroid injections

Good luck! When I knew Sophie was going to come early, the paediatric doctor told me that even half a day extra inside makes a difference. 34 weeks is a good place to get to though, Sophie was just 27 weeks and is doing brilliantly and we can see such a huge difference in her in the two and a half weeks since she was born.

Let us know how you get on xxxx

Good luck! At 34 weeks i'm sure LO will be just fine, the main thing will be for him to learn to feed. x

Matthew was 3lb 11oz at 33+4 and born by emergency section due to pre-eclampsia and IUGR and was in NICU 17 in total, at 34 weeks it really is as the girls have said a waiting game for bubs to get bigger, regulate breathing and temp and establish a regular feeding pattern.

Good luck for sun scan, fx bubs can hang on in there for a long as poss xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"