Delayed cord clamping and Rh-?

catfishes

Reaction score
Hello!
I was just wondering if NHS midwives need to do immediate cord clamping to get cord blood to do the test on the rhesus status of the baby at a home birth? I read somewhere that they need blood leftover in the cord to take a sample, but I'm not sure if this means I automatically can't have delayed cord clamping.

I'm 35 weeks with my first baby, am rh- (had anti D injection) and am planning a home birth and would like delayed cord clamping if possible. I will ask my midwife next week as i've got an hour long app at mine to go through all home birth paperwork but I just thought I would ask here too as you are all so experienced!

Hi

I'm Rh- and have had delayed cord clamping with both my DDs - DD1 at the midwife led birth centre and DD2 at home.

It was never mentioned about me not having delayed cord clamping and blood was taken, but they had to take some from DD2's heel the day after she was born because they hadn't got enough from the cord.

Now I don't know if they couldn't get enough because of delayed clamping or not but if that's the case I suppose you have to weigh up what's most important to you - delaying the clamping and risk your baby having to give heel blood or cut the cord a bit sooner to ensure baby doesn't have to give blood afterwards, but baby doesn't get as much goodness from you........

xx

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, that's just what I was hoping to get as a reply! I think I'd still prefer to have delayed cord clamping in that case. Was the heel prick an ok procedure for your baby? don't want him to get scared and hurt when he's only just arrived! I suppose it's no worse than having an injection really

Xx

If I'm honest giving blood wasn't nice at all for DD2. They struggled to get much blood out of her heel and were trying for ages, she was really upset bless her. It may be that your baby's blood flows faster than my DD2's, in which case it shouldn't be too bad.

xx

I'm rh- and had delayed cord clamping at my hb on 28th July. Was told it was procedure now for them to delay due to the benefits.

Turns out dd2 was + and I had the anti d injection arrive by taxi and the mw returned to administer. All no worries and meant I didn't need to go anywhere.

Xxx

they have to do a blood test to check for something at about a week old which is a heel prick they let you nurse the baby through that one though while they do it i cant remember what its for but they do it for a good reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->