Delayed Cord Clamping?

Connah'sMommy

Reaction score
What are the benefits of this?

Im seeing my MW on tuesday and we are going through my preferences for labour/birth etc and Im thinking of asking about this.

:flower:

From what I understand, it allows all the blood of the cord to get to baby, giving it the maximum amount of nutrients and blood possible. It also gives it the oxygen still so there is less of a chance of baby needing oxygen treatment soon after birth. I'm still researching it, so I hope other women will be able to give you better/more thorough answers!

wss^

plus, from what i've read, at birth, a fifth to a third of the baby's blood is still in the placenta, so if you clamp it right away, the baby has to remake all of that blood. Allowing the cord to stop pulsing allows the baby more time to switch from receiving oxygen from the cord to oxygen from the air, and allows the baby to have higher levels of iron.

basicaly what the ladies above have said. the one main benifit is that they get all of their blood.

to have delayed cord clamping u cant have the injection to speed the process along as that closes the cervix. but after the cord has stopped pulsating u can them clamp cut wait wait for ur body to release the placenta (bf helps) or u can have the injection after.

but for me the injection was awful, i wasnt warned that it can make u really sick and dizzy! i looked like death because of that thing and felt like it too

I say, hands down, delayed cord clamping is the way to go. And in the event that baby needs cut off, just wait as long as possible. In my experience delayed cord blood clamping leads to a less risk of jaundice, baby anemia (low white blood cell count), and hypoglycemia in the baby (low sugars). I dont have research to back that up (though im sure its out there), but this has been the experience of everyone i know who waited to clamp and cut.I highly recommend it!

This link has a pretty quick run down, and includes the studies or original source.

https://www.extraordinarytherapies.com.au/Cord Clamping Information.pdf

Amazingly, Darwin recommended delayed cord clamping way back when.

Amazingly, Darwin recommended delayed cord clamping way back when.

It makes impeccable sense! I dont understand why OBs are in such a rush (usually MWs encourage delayed clamping). It really is much more beneficial. And i also read somewhere (sorry cant remember the source) that things like autism and other physical/mental problems are greatly decreased. Well more like there is a correlation between the two (not that is correlation means causation, but you catch my drift) It makes sense when you think about all of those fetal cells and how they can turn into anything and the baby is actually getting all of it.

while i agree with how good it is to delay clamping (my mw was in a rush to get everything over and done with so clamped before i could even think)

i dont like it when things like autisum are linked to things like this without actual proof.

I didn't mean for this to be an autism debate. Sorry.
I do find it interesting, a friend of mine has a child with autism. In the US they will not transfer stem cells as therapy for autism. She went outside of the US (twice) but had US doctors do a stem cell transfer. Since then he has had remarkable improvements. Remeber, these are the same stem cells people are using to fight health problems and other developmental issues. Thus it would make sense that a baby recieving these same stem cells-fully at birth, would have less chance of lots of things. Once again, just a correlation as no prove of causation. Big difference, but worth it for a "pro", IMO.

i didnt mean for it to come across that i was going to start something, its a very touchy subject for me and recently so many things have been blaimed for autisum like its such a terrible thing to have drives me abit crazy.

going back to cord clamping, my doula is making me a silk tie to clamp the cord instead of having the horrible plastic clamps as they can rub. i think its a great idea and cant wait to see the silk clamp

i didnt mean for it to come across that i was going to start something, its a very touchy subject for me and recently so many things have been blaimed for autisum like its such a terrible thing to have drives me abit crazy.
Sorry hun. I wasn't saying that as a negative thing, but i do think people want answers and stuff. I just wanted to let you know that i graduated with a bachelors in rehabilitation services and I worked with children with Autism, PDD-NOS for over a year. i loved that job (unfortunatly we relocated), but anyways, i just want you to know that i didn't mean any negativity towards that :hugs:

going back to cord clamping, my doula is making me a silk tie to clamp the cord instead of having the horrible plastic clamps as they can rub. i think its a great idea and cant wait to see the silk clamp

Oh that sounds lovely!

To the OP, I believe another benefit of delayed cord clamping is that if all the blood flows into the baby then its not in the placenta which, in theory, should make the placenta easier to pass when the time comes.

Think of it as an inflated balloon with all that blood in it and a deflated balloon without.......

Sarah.xxx

^ thats a good point! I never thought of that!

In some cultures, the mom never cuts the cord. She delivers the placenta and she wrps the baby up with everything until it falls of naturally. Sounds a little gross, but it is interesting!

^ thats a good point! I never thought of that!

In some cultures, the mom never cuts the cord. She delivers the placenta and she wrps the baby up with everything until it falls of naturally. Sounds a little gross, but it is interesting!

its called a lotus birth, not for everyone and i dont quiet fancy it myself. i no there was a woman on here awhile back who did it.

theres never been any proven benifit from doing it but like u said it can be a culture thing.

after pushing a baby out i cant say ididnt even noticed the placenta coming out hahaha well my mw pulled it out which felt horrible.

after i had zane i went to the loo and felt a strange feeling and a huge clot just fell out, i was gutted that something that big could fall out hahaha

after pushing a baby out i cant say ididnt even noticed the placenta coming out hahaha well my mw pulled it out which felt horrible.

after i had zane i went to the loo and felt a strange feeling and a huge clot just fell out, i was gutted that something that big could fall out hahaha

I had the same exact thing happen so i freaked a little bc i thought that meant i retained the placenta (which causes a ton of problem) but when i told the nurse it wasn't a big deal. But dang! i was not expecting something that size to fall out! :shock: :haha:

my mum has huge clots so i was expecting it because she told me about it happening to her, if she hadnt of told me id of thought it was a second baby lol the thing was the size of zanes head.
i was annoyed that mws dont tell women about things like that happening because even tho i knew it was ok i still screamed hahaha

god why am i having another baby? lol

Thanks for all the great info ladies, This is definately something Ill be doing all being well :thumbup:

Just to get something clear though, i can have the injection once the cord is finally cut? Iv heard horor stories about some ladies who have declined the injection and bled quite alot....i know i prob shouldnt be listening to the horor stories but it still makes me wonder iykwim?

xx

yes u can have the injection any time u want it, if u want it.

i had the injection and i lost alot of blood so really its hit and miss. i say keep a open mind and see how u feel once the cord is still pulsating as to if u feel u need the injection

yup, you can have it afterwords.
Make sure you keep taking your prenatal! I stopped taking it and i ended with severe anemia and PICA. We didn't know this going into labor. I needed the injection as i was bleeding bad from being anemic. It was over something so easily fixed, this time i learned my lesson! Not all women need the injection though!!! Your doc/mw will know based on bloodloss if you need it or not, so if you dont want it, and everything is looking fine you dont have to get it! i am certain she will tell you if you need it though :D its pretty routine, but it doesn't have to be

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->