Delayed Cutting of cord-Lotus birth

heaven

Mommy of 2 Beautiful Girl
Reaction score
So I was at my doc yesterday and we hadn't asked yet about delayed cutting. He said that he would only wait 3 min.:growlmad: He then said he wouldn't do a lotus b/c of hemorrage-(he thought it was b/c the placenta was still inside for hours-he didn't know that we deliver it right after baby, the same way as regular). He seemed kind of :wacko: in response to what he and the docs firm were willing to do.
He did say that we can have the placenta to take home and he was fine with that part though(if he cut it).
We did find a birthing center, but it is two hours away. Mid-Wives deliver the baby, which in my book is far better. :thumbup: But if we switch, we have to drive the two hours for every appointment.:shrug: We want the birth to go our way, but are worried that when I am in labor, the two hour drive will be awful to endure:dohh:

What is your take on this and with dealing with docs who are weirded out by birthing plans?

i would tell your doctor that if he touches any part of you or baby (that includes the plactenta ) without your express permission its assult and leave it at that.

Any chance of a homebirth with a midwife?

Any chance of a homebirth with a midwife?

I desperately tried. I live two hours away from any. My insurance will only cover certified mid wives, so otherwise there is two people that could-but it costs 4000 dollars:hissy:

A homebirth was actually my first option. Any ideas?:shrug:

I know if I am at home, I will be on :cloud9:

Are you in the states? I'm in California, and I was having a tough time trying to find a midwife near to my home, particularly because my insurance stated that it would only cover a Certified Nurse Midwife, and the closest ones were about 60 miles away (not as bad as your situation, but closer would be nice). So, I ended up talking to a Licensed Midwife near me who said to call my insurance anyway and ask, since 60 miles is so far away. My insurance does cover homebirths, and because of that, I'm entitled as well. So, it turns out that they would cover a Licensed Midwife (did not need to be Cert. Nurse Midwife), but apparently this rule was for California, not necessarily other states. Anyhow, my point is that maybe they would cover one of the closer midwives, or put her in the system temporarily, since others are so far from you. It seems like you should get the same benefits as people who happen to live in a closer-to-midwife area. I don't know if you've tried asking them yet, but if not, it's definitely worth an ask. I wish you so much luck on this one. I can't imagine how frustrated you must be!

If that doesn't work, can you switch docs? It may be the only option to find a more reasonable one.

I'm in a similar situation. We are military, so I have military OBs, and they are NOT known for their willingness to deviate from routine. I also want to delay cord cutting, and will be discussing this with my OB at my appointment on Monday. Quite honestly (and I know this sounds awful), I'm just not going to let them tell me 'no' anymore. I will sit in their office and argue with them about it until I get what I want. It sounds like I'm being awful, I know, but seriously? It's my body. :thumbup:

I'm in a similar situation. We are military, so I have military OBs, and they are NOT known for their willingness to deviate from routine. I also want to delay cord cutting, and will be discussing this with my OB at my appointment on Monday. Quite honestly (and I know this sounds awful), I'm just not going to let them tell me 'no' anymore. I will sit in their office and argue with them about it until I get what I want. It sounds like I'm being awful, I know, but seriously? It's my body. :thumbup:

The only reason it sounds awful is that you have to argue to do things your way. This is your birth, your body and your baby, why should it not be just as you want it to be? Keep arguing love and give them he'll!!!

about the delayed cord cutting, i told my mw i didnt want the cord cut til the placenta is delivered, she says shel give me around 20 mins after babies here to deliver placenta before cutting it herself :( dunno how to get around it, im a ppl pleaser and dont want to give into pressure to go their way

about the delayed cord cutting, i told my mw i didnt want the cord cut til the placenta is delivered, she says shel give me around 20 mins after babies here to deliver placenta before cutting it herself :( dunno how to get around it, im a ppl pleaser and dont want to give into pressure to go their way

I know, I am about to go all
:ninja: on the docs :winkwink:

That's not good. My MW today told me she was all for delayed cord cutting and encouraged it. She said it can make babies more jaundiced if they get the vitamin K though, so I may have to look into not doing the K at all.

get your OH to stick up for your rights hun

I am putting a note into my file which says that I do not consent to the cord being cut without my express permission and that if it is done I will seek damages for assault. You could always do that :shrug:

I am putting a note into my file which says that I do not consent to the cord being cut without my express permission and that if it is done I will seek damages for assault. You could always do that :shrug:

That is a good idea.

Im fed up with docs tellinf me their way or the highway...im going to have a free birth with my next baby and i plan to do lotus too. Does anyone have any detailed info on it? I want the best for my kids and knowledge helps=)! Thanks in advance

Im fed up with docs tellinf me their way or the highway...im going to have a free birth with my next baby and i plan to do lotus too. Does anyone have any detailed info on it? I want the best for my kids and knowledge helps=)! Thanks in advance

Ya someone posted it in one of the three lotus threads that I started.(Wasn't sure of the right place to post and it got tons of contraversy, so "beware".)There are a few here who have done it and the MW's say they do it all of the time!

The two male docs I had, were totally not ok with this. The others at my site said that they don't condone their thoughts which is funny because the men said the speak for all of the practitioners there! Ha-
Anyway, we are planning on having our birth two hours away just to get our birth the way we want at a birthing center(all of the people there are all for lotus, unless there is some complication), however, if we don't make it and have to go to the hospital-than it will be on file and I will announce it once there too. The female docs said to take that route.
Good luck!

Thanks=) i did more research online as well. I appreciate the warning but i beleive contreversy happens for two reasons 1. lack of knowledge(on both sides of the debate) and 2. intolerance. Might get #2 from my mom...shes a nurse lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->