Delaying job start date?

fantastica

Mum.
Reaction score
So..I just got offered my first 'proper' job :happydance:

BUT they want me to start on Monday, which leaves me really pushed to find someone to pick Jacob up from school and arrange school drop off with my OH etc. Do you think it would be okay to ask to delay for a week? Or is it pushing it a bit? A good friend of mine works in HR where i'm due to start, so I was thinking I could ask her kind of off the record and see what she thinks, but I really don't want to cause any issues going into this.

Arghhhh...what should I do?! I have no idea how people manage work/childcare!

Congrats on the job! That's fab.

I think it's a bit short notice for anyone to expect them to start the following Monday.
I would ask your friend, off the record.

It's certainly not unreasonable to ask delay slightly seeing as you need to arrange childcare.

Good luck

Gosh I would expect at least a months notice that is minimum standard especially if you have to work a notice. I would ask to delay, perhaps even 2 weeks in case you need to do settling in sessions etc for childcare?

Congratulations!

I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask for an extra week. If they employed somebody coming from another job they would probably have to wait for them to work up to a months notice x

I had a job offer this week which has a delayed start of 5 months! Haha x

Thanks everyone, I spoke to my friend and she said there was no problem in delaying. Just hope I can work something out in time!

5 months is crazy haha!

Thanks everyone, I spoke to my friend and she said there was no problem in delaying. Just hope I can work something out in time!

5 months is crazy haha!

Haha it's a work placement for the year, July-July x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"