Delivery Timing Question

FTB2017

Reaction score
I've researched all I can but still can't fully understand it. I'm a math teacher so maybe i'm obsessing about the numbers too much...lol. My wife's last period was Nov. 14th...but we didnt start trying until Thanksgiving. All the calculations have her delivery date as being AUG 23rd. I understand that it's based on the last period, but shouldn't it be adjusted to reflect the 2 weeks (at least) that we know it couldn't have possibly happened? We're both teachers so it would help a ton if it was closer to sept...Family Leave and the amount of time she gets would be increased if it was. Not that the delivery date is a 100% guarantee but I just would love it to be later.

The date is calculated as 40 weeks from the last period. This assumes a 28 day cycle and a 14 day luteal period.

Ovulation happens around day 14, after this you're in the luteal period, during which your wife's hormones would have flipped from estrogen dominant to progesterone dominant. In order to conceive, your sperm is present in her fallopian tubes at or around the time she ovulates. The egg survives for only 24-48 hours. Your sperm survives 3 days to a week, depending on the health of her cervical mucus and your sperm.

In practice, this process is an approximation. Your wife's cycle may be shorter or longer, and her luteal period may be shorter or longer. This is why they often date the gestational age of the fetus at some point during the pregnancy, but since it's largely an approximation, you'll usually only be moved if it's off by a week or so. That being said, gestational age matters if it comes down to early induction as it's usually only safe-ish to induce a fetus that's at least 34 weeks of age, and if you're inducing the week before your due date, it could also result in a mildly premature baby as well.

When it comes to natural labor, this website is a neat relatively mathy guide to her probability of giving birth on any given day, plus her (the website designer's) evidence and such.

It's always worked out based on the first day of the last period, which takes into account the average cycle length and ovulation period - the 2 weeks before that are irrelevant.
I'm assuming she's had her first scan (12/13 weeks) - sometimes the dates can change slightly based on what the baby is measuring on the scan, but usually only up to a week or so either way. The official due date will always be from the scan, so whatever was told then will be the correct due date

That 2 weeks is taken into account based on the 40 weeks. It's also assuming a 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14 which is why it's an estimated due date. If she ovulated later in her cycle and if her cycle is longer than average, then it could push the date out, but I think it has to be way out for an OB to change the due date. In the end though, it doesn't make much of a different since baby comes when he/she is ready LOL Mine came 5 weeks early :)

Thanks for the replies...I'll be sure to let my baby girl know that an extra week or so would help...lol. my wife was about a week early last time...

Your considered pregnant from the date of your last period even though the egg hasn't even met the sperm. Took me a while to figure it out too lol.

Yeah I think my lack of understanding points more towards my wishes for a later date...lol. it's sad what wr do in this country with leave. As public school teachers it's 6 weeks from birth, and only paid if you have banked sick time...and we are in jersey a "teacher friendly" state. It's up to the district after 6 weeks if they will allow you to use any banked sick days. I would LOVE to take some leave as well to help out but the rules for paternal leave are strange to say the least.

You get a two week headstart!

I have pretty much the same due date (I've been told both Aug 24 and Aug 5), but this is a frozen embryo that was transferred to me on Dec 6, after being frozen at 5 days after egg and spermicide met in a dish (romance!). On that date, I was considered 2 weeks + 5 days pregnant, as if we did the deed on Dec 1.

I work at a college so I totally get the whole timing of the school year thing. My first child was born at the end of April, so it was like having half the summer off when I took leave. it's good to help and to have your own bond with baby, too. That first month is such a struggle to get a bit of rest and some semblance of normalcy. I'm sure your wife will appreciate whatever help you can give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->