Dental Work?

mrs_sasquatch

Reaction score
Has anyone had any dental work done while expecting? I had a tooth crack in half this morning, and now the roots are exposed. Quite painful, and sharp edges so it's cutting up my cheek. I'm going to call the OB tomorrow but I really don't want to deal with this pain until the end of November!

No idea but I'm interested to know too! My tooth broke a couple of weeks ago but I'm not in any pain at all, i keep meaning to book a dentist app but put it off as I hate it lol

I'm due to have an impacted wisdom tooth out in September. I'll be 6 months. I spoke to my Dentist who advised me to wait til my pregnancy was more established but he said it's quite common for pregnant women to have dental work done as pregnancy can be tough on our teeth, so I don't think dental is really out of the question. I cannot have IV sedation and have checked with the dental surgeon again that it is safe and he has confirmed it shouldn't be a problem. I guess a lot of it is down to personal choice and if you can't hold out until after baby is born. In my case, unfortunately I can't so the tooth has to come out sooner rather than later.

I had dental work done with my second child and he is totally fine! I need to do work real soon as im having pain in two teeth now and its not fun at all!!

Personally I have avoided all dental work, but I also believe I am being overly cautious. I have not needed any major work done so it has not been an issue for me.

I suggest letting the dentist know you are pregnant and getting advice from them as to what they are or are not able to do while pregnant. I doubt that they will expect you to remain in pain till the end of your pregnancy, there should be something that they can do.

Thank you, ladies! I will update on what my OB says about it. It doesn't hurt to have has much info available as possible...we are all going through the same issues. :)

I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but this break has roots exposed so it's incredibly uncomfortable. All the research I've done since last night points to second trimester being ok for dental work for basic things like cleaning, and emergencies, which include breaks.

I broke the back corner off one of my molars when I was pregnant with my first. And the day before my C section! My dentist saw me that day and repaired it. Totally fine to have dental work (local anaesthesia is fine) but they won't do x rays. I'd get it fixed now x

I broke a tooth about two weeks ago and had to get a crown (but not a root canal thankfully). I had an old filling which just didn't hold up anymore. I was told that 2nd tri is the best time to get work done, and that the x-rays are digital and that they don't touch the baby at all. I felt comfortable enough to get it fixed, better than continuing on with a messed up tooth.

I went to the dentist today, just had a cleaning though. They obviously don't do x Rays. Sounded like they would've fixed cavities if I had had them. Not sure about other work.

You're well and truly in the second tri now so everything should be fine. I had two decent fillings at 23 weeks and the only things my dentist said he couldn't do while I am pregnant was give me gas (which I wouldn't have anyway - I hate it) and give me an x-ray. You're good to go!

I had a tooth removed in first tri in one pregnancy.
He couldn't and wouldn't x Ray but I had a local anaesthetic and all was fine.

I think it's quite common. I have had 2 teeth break in the last 2 pregnancies. I also had a deep clean the other day. He did say if it was to sensitive I could have the injection. It was fine I didn't need it. Lots of blood tho! 😱

Yeah gums will bleed more in pregnancy, he said it was the hormones. But that's totally normal.

Finally spoke to my doctors office. The nurse said that in an emergency situation, don't hesitate to get it taken care of, just avoid xrays.

My dentist told me they only do important work (i.e. More than regular cleaning) during second trimester. And nothing that requires radiography.

I know its really always better to avoid x-rays during pregnancy, but if you do find yourself in a situation where you truly need one, you might find this article comforting:

https://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-get-an-x-ray-while-im-pregnant_9214.bc

Dental x-rays in particular are very safe, just to let you know.

I actually managed to get into a dentist ten minutes after I called. (Talk about quick service!) They took one xray because it was an extraction, and double vested me. Pregnancy approved anesthetic and twenty minutes, and I was on my way home minus a really broken tooth! Woohoo! I'm super numb now and on a soft diet for the next two days but so worth it.

Glad all went well 😃. Hope it's not hurting too much today x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"