Destination Weddings

AzureOrchid

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm recently engaged and my fiance and I have decided that we would like to do a destination wedding in about a year or two - when we can afford to. He had already gone through all the fun of wedding planning with his ex-fiance and I have absolutely zero interest in planning a wedding or dealing with family drama. I'd much sooner elope to Vegas or something and be done with it lol!

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone here has had a destination wedding, plan on having one or have attended one? Where did you go? Anything you suggest to look into beforehand or avoid? How many people did you invite down? How long did they stick around for before you could enjoy your honeymoon in peace?

Right now I'm leaning towards Aruba from the brief research I've done and he's leaning towards Jamaica. I've heard Jamaica is gorgeous but for some reason it is just not overly appealing to me.

Iv not got experience but my best friend has recently got engaged and is getting married in Thailand. She has invited close family and close friends to Thailand (I can't go because I think it's too far for LO at that age and I couldn't leave him for as long as I would need to be away, also getting married myself a few months after and couldn't afford to do both:cry:).

She is having a wedding reception when she gets back to uk and will invite all their family and friends to that:thumbup:

I like the idea of a reception when returning! That would be nice :)

One thing that has worried me is not getting to enjoy the honeymoon if others are there the entire time. I've been contemplating the idea of perhaps getting everyone to stay at a different resort so that we can enjoy our privacy together once we're married. Either that or everyone only stays for a few days, then we get a few days after that to ourselves. We can party with everyone else any other time back home! And I think staying away for much more than a week would be a bit overkill (and pricey).

Congrats to you and best of luck with your wedding! :)

We got married in Sorrento, Italy. 14 guests - mums, dads, sibling, bridesmaid and best man. Had drinks overlooking mount vesuvius followed by a sit down wedding meal then on for some drinks and dancing.

We had an evening wedding reception the day after we returned - we wore our wedding outfits (had to send my dress home to UK with my mum for dry cleaning as it was filthy!)

Was the best thing we did. Whole thing cost us less than £3500. We had two weeks there. Week before we got married and one week after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->