detectors at the airports during pregnancy

flutterbylge

Riley's mummy & expecting
Reaction score
hello everyone,

i need advice on a subject as i havent been living in the uk for that long. I am flying to turkey next sunday to see my family, and i will have been 13,5 weeks pregnant. In Turkey, at the airport when you tell them you are pregnant they dont let you go through those detectors a lady officer searches you instead as the xrays can harm the baby. However, i dont know how things work in the UK airports really, never flew from here before during pregnancy.

I hope you can help me, i am sorry if this sounds dumb.

thanks in advance xx

Hi there,

This one interested me as I am flying tomorrow and had wondered about this. This link https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/travel/airportscreeningexpert/ clears things up and says everything is fine and this link as well https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/faqs/pregnancyandsecurityscreening.html. Hope this helps :)

People don't get xrayed do they? Think thats just the luggage hun x

I've just been away (flown) and didn't think to do anything different

You don't get X Ray'd, it's just a metal detector you walk through.

I got stopped in Manchester in October when I was 10 weeks gone. I practically had to strip off. First it was sequins on my top, so I had to remove my jumper to show them, it was still bleeping, so I removed my belt, it STILL bleeped, then I found the little tin of mints that I had in my jeans pocket :blush: It bleeped again and the lady told me it was my hair clip!

It still bleeped :dohh:, so I asked quietly if an underwired bra could set it off, the lady scanning me laughed and said Yes, then let me go.....I was so embarrassed, especially as the rest of the family had gone through, so they were looking at me along with the 50 odd people behind me waiting to go through :rofl:

Oh really i never knew that lol. I got scanned by a hand held thingy last time i flew when i set off the detector. So did my 1 yr old bless him as i was carrying him through!

At one airport in the states they made my five year old take off his shoes. Come on! Yes, my five year old is a *#&*$&# terrorist.

Hey i found out i was pregnant 2 days before flying to New York back in Nov, we left Heathrow and when it came to walking through the x-ray machine i just said i was pregnant and they took me round a different way and a lady searched me.
The same happened when we left New York all you have to do is tell them you are pregnant and do not want to walk through it they should be completely fine about it.

Hope this was helpful

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"